Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car market raining on convertibles' parade

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-13, 11:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default New car market raining on convertibles' parade

New car market raining on convertibles' parade

Whether fitted with soft or hard folding lids, today's droptops are better than ever for year-round motoring. Advancements in power top mechanisms, sealing, aerodynamics, structural rigidity, rollover safety and creature comforts like heated and cooled seats mean that modern convertibles are more versatile and better to drive than ever before. Yet the segment's sales took a dive during the recession and haven't come back, Automotive News reports.

Part of that is because automakers are looking at today's more sensible buyers and simply not developing as many new models, and that lack of fresh iron is curbing sales. AN cites R.L. Polk data which notes that only about one percent of new vehicles registered in the US last year had tops that folded. Back in 2009, it was 1.4 percent, and it was 2 percent in 2006. All-in, some 151,636 convertibles were registered in 2012. That's more units more than were registered in each of the past three years, but the market has also grown as the economy has picked up speed, and as a percentage of new vehicles purchased, convertible sales are lagging.

Thus far in 2013, the Ford Mustang is America's top-selling convertible, with 6,421 units registered through the end of April, followed by its rival, the Chevrolet Camaro, at 4,751 units. The Volkswagen Beetle isn't far behind, with 4,305, but from that point, it's a steep drop off to the fourth-place Mercedes-Benz SL-Class and its 2,380 sales.

Some new canvas-backed iron is around the corner and could spark convertible sales, however. A Scion FR-S droptop is expected soon, and fourth-generation Mazda MX-5 Miata is in development alongside an Alfa Romeo roadster. The new Jaguar F-Type is just getting going, and there are new iterations of the Chevrolet Corvette, Mini Cooper and BMW 4 Series (previously known as the 3 Series) waiting in the wings, too. Even so, the industry will likely struggle to reverse the segment's decline if the economy doesn't improve, particularly if automakers can't find ways to attract new, younger buyers.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/08/n...tibles-parade/
Old 07-09-13, 12:27 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Convertibles look good and have that cool factor, but I still don't find them practical or safe. In order to enjoy the top down experience, one exposes himself to other drivers with no barrier in between. This is bad for road rage incidents, homeless people at intersections, or thugs up to no good. You are basically making yourself "available" to the public. But I guess it depends where you live. Here in L.A., you need all the barrier around you when out in the battle fields.

Then you got the sun constantly on your skin, the wind screwing up your hair and drying out your sinuses, higher noise levels, dust and debris to contend with, bird droppings, rain, other sudden surprises, and a dirtier interior to maintain more often. While it may sound like minor things, they can all tarnish the convertible experience after the newness and excitement wears off.
Old 07-09-13, 01:14 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely love convertibles but I only drive mines during summer nights with the top down. I don't like the sun beating on me so warm or cool nights are best.
Old 07-09-13, 07:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my top down everyday in the past two weeks.

It truly is best driving around during sunset, warmed by a dry summer night. Drove from Long Beach to Laguna Beach on PCH last night.

Gotta love SoCal.
Old 07-09-13, 08:24 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my convertible! There's certainly no shortage of them here in the DC burbs either. I think there's more E93 convertibles around here than there are E92 coupes. Yup they're not too much fun mid day in the hot sun with the temps at 90F or higher, but nothing is more refreshing than an early morning or later evening drive with the top down, and of course in the spring and fall you can pretty much have the top down all the time so long as it's not raining. With smartphones, rain should never be a surprise either. If in doubt, one of the many weather apps ought to be of some use.
Old 07-09-13, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Convertibles look good and have that cool factor, but I still don't find them practical or safe. In order to enjoy the top down experience, one exposes himself to other drivers with no barrier in between. This is bad for road rage incidents, homeless people at intersections, or thugs up to no good. You are basically making yourself "available" to the public. But I guess it depends where you live. Here in L.A., you need all the barrier around you when out in the battle fields.

Then you got the sun constantly on your skin, the wind screwing up your hair and drying out your sinuses, higher noise levels, dust and debris to contend with, bird droppings, rain, other sudden surprises, and a dirtier interior to maintain more often. While it may sound like minor things, they can all tarnish the convertible experience after the newness and excitement wears off.
All good points, Fizzboy.

And even with a well-insulated soft-top up and everything locked, it doesn't take very much for some low-life to break in.................

Old 07-09-13, 09:41 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fizzy, I politely dissent to most of the points in your post. I don't know how long was your seat time in a vert, but for me, I still find myself longing for a drop top ride in a warm summer night.

The only down side after a few years of my convertible ownership was the noise level on the freeway- even when the top is up. And the added weight of the car, if one had to nip pick.

The other factors, some you mentioned, simply were overshadowed, pun intended, by the soul freeing exhilaration of having wind kissing your face. Getting bird pooped on? I'd laugh so hard if I saw that. Harder if that happened to myself. I keep a pack of wet wipes in all of my cars. The barrier theory, one would hope he or her had the sense to bring the top up before entering the zombie infested street. I'm taking jabs and I hope you don't get offended mang (or mods), but it felt to me the rationale in your post was parallel to an arm chair general, or a virgin trying to convince himself in the locker room about all the "horrible stuff" about sex. Perhaps I just have a stronger affinity to the open top experience. So do take the tone in my post lightly.

If you cared to read more, I even had to deal with some leaking issue one winter. It sounded silly but I was willing to put up with it in anticipation of the upcoming spring joy ride. Just like how we would to a higher maintenance girlfriend, WHEN WE WERE YOUNGER AND NOT WISER.
Old 07-09-13, 10:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

You sound like me when I explain motorcycles to other people.
Old 07-09-13, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
^^^

You sound like me when I explain motorcycles to other people.
Usually, though, with a bike, unlike with a convertible, you have on an approved helmet (per state laws), and, if wise, leather biking-clothes that will protect you from a pavement-scrape.
Old 07-09-13, 12:33 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

I wish more cars came with a targa. Best of both worlds, just a slight hassle to take off and stow the top.
Old 07-09-13, 01:00 PM
LexFather

Maybe b/c most are expensive?

Old 07-09-13, 01:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tzu911
Fizzy, I politely dissent to most of the points in your post. I don't know how long was your seat time in a vert, but for me, I still find myself longing for a drop top ride in a warm summer night.

The only down side after a few years of my convertible ownership was the noise level on the freeway- even when the top is up. And the added weight of the car, if one had to nip pick.

The other factors, some you mentioned, simply were overshadowed, pun intended, by the soul freeing exhilaration of having wind kissing your face. Getting bird pooped on? I'd laugh so hard if I saw that. Harder if that happened to myself. I keep a pack of wet wipes in all of my cars. The barrier theory, one would hope he or her had the sense to bring the top up before entering the zombie infested street. I'm taking jabs and I hope you don't get offended mang (or mods), but it felt to me the rationale in your post was parallel to an arm chair general, or a virgin trying to convince himself in the locker room about all the "horrible stuff" about sex. Perhaps I just have a stronger affinity to the open top experience. So do take the tone in my post lightly.

If you cared to read more, I even had to deal with some leaking issue one winter. It sounded silly but I was willing to put up with it in anticipation of the upcoming spring joy ride. Just like how we would to a higher maintenance girlfriend, WHEN WE WERE YOUNGER AND NOT WISER.
No offense taken at all! Great read and good points. I have never owned one myself, so my "experience" comes from riding around in a friend's Mustang and from what I've read in crime reports. I've done a fair amount of work with the LAPD and I guess I've gone on the other side of the safety spectrum after everything I've heard and seen.
A few other points I didn't mention... One would be lower mpg's from reduced drag. Then I've always wondered how motorcycle and convertible drivers handle flying rocks off of truck tires. Maybe that's for a different thread.
Old 07-09-13, 01:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Still curious if the F-Type Coupe or Vert will be more expensive
Old 07-09-13, 03:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
All good points, Fizzboy.

And even with a well-insulated soft-top up and everything locked, it doesn't take very much for some low-life to break in.................

I had a Camaro rag-top, and I had my own workaround for that problem. Never lock the doors. I also went to the junkyard and found a driver's side lower dash panel that DID NOT have the remote trunk release button on it. Only way into the trunk was with the key, my thoughts were if some crackhead opened the door and was looking for the trunk button, he'd never find it, and give up.