Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 05:43 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It's really not that different. Smaller side sills, fewer chrome bits, that's all.

Look at a stripped C class. Thing is ugly without the AMG package
Old 03-27-14, 08:28 PM
LexFather

The C-class is a proper RWD car and much smaller. Its tidy and still attractive without the AMG package and doesn't look bland nor FWD. And you are comparing concept vs reality vs reality/reality. You can get an AMG sport package, Acura offers no such thing.

Old 03-28-14, 06:32 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Acura TLX Looks Good in Racing Clothes

A couple of weeks before it lifts the veils off the production version of the 2015 TLX at the New York Auto Show, Acura has revealed the racing variant of its new sedan, which will compete in the Pirelli World Challenge competition in the GT category.

RealTime Racing’s driver Peter Cunningham will debut the 2015 Acura TLX GT race car at the May 30-June 1 Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix double-header race weekend. The new TLX GT will face competition that includes the Audi R8 LMS, Cadillac CTS-V, Chevrolet Corvette, Dodge Viper, Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes SLS, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 and Ferrari 458.

“The 2015 Acura TLX is a true luxury sport sedan, so it is fitting that the car be raced against several of its natural competitors, and even some up-market brands, in the Pirelli World Challenge,” said Art St. Cyr, President of Honda Performance Development (HPD) and Vice President, Product Planning and Logistics, American Honda.

Based on the production Acura TLX, the racecar is developed by HPD, the racing arm of American Honda. The Acura TLX GT Race Car features HPD chassis and aerodynamic performance parts approved for Pirelli World Challenge competition. The car will be powered by a direct-injected, twin-turbocharged V6 engine, developed by HPD from the normally aspirated, production TLX luxury sport sedan. Just like the production car, it will utilize all-wheel drive.

RealTime Racing will initially field one car for owner/driver Peter Cunningham, with a second car to be added at a later date.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/201...in-racing.html
Old 03-28-14, 07:43 AM
LexFather

lol at "true luxury sport sedan"...Lexus tried that with the ES..it didn't work, thus the RWD IS came and the rest is history..

Why no NSX race car against the R8, Corvette, Gallardo etc?

Old 03-28-14, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The new TLX GT will face competition that includes the Audi R8 LMS, Cadillac CTS-V, Chevrolet Corvette, Dodge Viper, Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes SLS, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 and Ferrari 458.
Two of these are not like the other ones
Old 03-28-14, 11:00 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New acura sedan TLX competition for IS and q50?

still in market for sedan.
havent yet made up our minds.
anyone see this new sedan from acura.
Will replace both TL and TSX.
looks very good and maybe Honda got its act together.

http://www.acura.com/future/TLX#1

definitely delaying purchase after looking at this car!
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Acura TLX Discussion-2015-acura-tlx-prototype-detroit.jpg   2015 Acura TLX Discussion-acura-tlx-concept-inline-1-photo-565192-s-original.jpg  
Old 03-28-14, 11:12 AM
LexFather

The TLX is really an ES 350 competitor. Both are based on a Camry/Accord and FWD mostly (85% of sales are FWD). The pictures posted are of the concept, the real thing is much more bland.

It will offer an I-4 and the V-6...I'm sure some people will cross shop, it surely will be competent and a solid sedan.

Old 03-28-14, 11:46 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not really impressed.. the TL is a nice car, but i always felt it was a little subdued. if there was a category between the ES350 and IS350, that's where it really belongs.
Old 03-28-14, 12:21 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

SH-AWD is excellent and defies logic in many ways. I'd wait to see what their "S-type" looks like and offers. My only complaint with Acura (had 3) is the lack of sound proofing and rattles.
Old 03-28-14, 12:23 PM
Hou250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a big fan of Acura, but the design of this is not bad....still like my 3IS better though!
Old 03-28-14, 01:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

OP here is the real thing exposed. Unfortunately it does not carry over a lot of the aggression and details that the TLX Concept does

Old 03-28-14, 02:02 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It pains me to agree with Glashub but the only thing Honda/Acura have going is the SH-AWD system. I have both the RDX and MDX at home with SH-AWD. When I'm throwing these gorillas around corners I am always amaze at the system.

The prototype TLX was pretty exciting. But the latest production spy photos shown on vtec.net is pretty disappointing. It's another boring car. Acura is taking a page out of the German. Starting from the Accord straight up the ILX, RLX, and now the TLX. You can't hardly tell them apart. That works only if you have a Chris Bangle or Wolfgang Egger recipe. Unfortunately all you get from Acura is the frustrating Acura shield.

If anything, the TLX will sell just like most Acura because of competitive packaging and the Honda reliability behind it.

Last edited by cFoo; 03-28-14 at 02:02 PM. Reason: damn phone
Old 03-28-14, 02:35 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
OP here is the real thing exposed. Unfortunately it does not carry over a lot of the aggression and details that the TLX Concept does
wow how disappointing! definitely wouldnt buy that if that is final production TLX.
time to move on then
Old 03-28-14, 07:22 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Cfoo I think you may be the first in 9 months to publically agree with me even if it seems to have caused you so much pain you had to edit your post to fix pain caused typos.

I have to laugh at Acura putting black tape over their emblem located in the middle of the most recognizable and loathed grill of the 21st Century -- like that's going to fool people.
Old 03-28-14, 08:26 PM
XiongXiong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
not trying to hate, but your statement about it being better than Lexus is Laughable, sorry just saying. I knew a few friends with TL's. I do like them, but heard they had some Tranny issues and a few other probs, surely its not better or more reliable than a GS400.
I've been on the opposite spectrum of you. I had a 2000 TL and '03 TL Type S. And though Its been good cars but its NO GS400, I had friends with a GS400's and GS430's. My TL has been modded and can't even keep up with my friends stock GS400, forget racing a modded GS4.. I remember one friend giving me a 2 car-length head start and they come flying by me like I was sitting still..! A GS400 is a phenomenal car back in those days and will still out run most cars today still. Being a 2x TL owner, I'll have to agree its not a reliable as a Lexus GS V8. My TL had its tranny replace 3 times.

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I never said they were better, I said in my experience (having owned 7 Lexus and 3 Acuras), that my Acuras were more reliable. I had the transmission on one of my LS's fail at only 85k. I've had various different electronic issues with my GS's (radiator went, sensors failed, speedometer stopped working, power locks would work sometimes, then only a few would work, cd changer broke, check engine lights galore). You said you know of a few friends that owned TLs, ok fine. But did you ever personally own one? I speak from experience and from my experience, the Acuras have been more reliable than my Lexuses were. For what it's worth though, I will say that my LS's were far far superior in terms of reliability in my experience than the GS's I've owned were.
I'm sorry but this is totally false and unheard of or you have really bad luck with Lexus cars, Are you buying them Used or New? All of my friends with GS's bought their's new and still have these cars with over 200 and 300K miles with no issues. What GS did you have? my friends have the GS400 and GS430, these cars are bullet proof. If you had a bad one that is rare, i never heard of GS failing. I'm sorry but saying a TL is more reliable than a GS is "Laughable" and i'm an TL owner speaking from experience. This 1QWK guy is telling the truth. Mine had 3 trannies and car finally crapped out a 220K. Now, I'm driving a IS350 but its no GS400/430. I'm looking for one. Where can you get a car with 100K miles for a about $7-9K and can run another 200K miles like it was a brand new car? I wish I could find a low-miler newer one mechanically so I can run it 300K plus. No way any of my TL's can surpass Lexus reliability.

TL's are trash. If you ever own one, its has bad Torque-Steer (will jump lanes when you kick it) FWD sucks, handling ain't too great neither, its not even a match with a GS or ES, basically a fancier Accord. My GF has a 2010 Accord and has an oil burning problem, it eats 2 quarts every 1500 miles and Honda says "they dont't know why, won't fix it or give her a new motor and her uncle is the dealership manager. Honda/ Acura is more reliable huh? Please stop BSing everyone. I have owned probably 10 Honda/Acura cars total and though they are great daily Econo cars, it will never be a Luxury or Performance type car except maybe the S2000 and the NSX.

Honda/Acura is NOT more RELIABLE than Lexus and will never be. I for one stop wasting my money buying Honda/Acura, I drive a 2011 IS350 now, awesome car compared to any TL.. Most of my friends are driving 10 year old to 15 year old GS's that will run circles around any TL, new or old.

Last edited by XiongXiong; 03-28-14 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion