Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 05:49 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
so what will Euro Accord be based on?

It cant sell well in Europe when Passat is so much better car, according to media :P
Of course, hard on plastic Passat is such a awesome car .... ahm!

Japanese really have a hard time breaking through euro mid size sedan shield in central Europe. How many Insignias you see on the road? Way too many and yet everyone I spoke to who has Insignia over 100,000km on odometer say they will never ever buy Opel again.

Insignia and Passat are just dressed up to feel superior when brand new, but as soon as the midnight ticks all that make up melts and cracks begin to show. It's a gimmick. On the other hand Avensis, Accord and 6 don't have a shtick except that they are bulletproof cars but people obviously don't want that. People want cameras that read speed limit signs so ECU can govern their speed, of course when it works properly and if car is not in a shop due to some electrical ubber Bosch engineering.

Somebody mentioned Accord for the price of 3 series. Yes you can get US Corolla econobox like equipped 3 series but the real question is why would you want something like that? Only one answer to that question: BMW badge.
Then you have somebody like my friend who drives 320d with no cruise control, no automatic headlights, no keycard entry, of course no hids, no heated seats, no Bluetooth, no nothing except automatic windows, dual AC and unfortunate BMW stop & go that each time rumbles the car when you clutch it and takes away the precious time until its ready to move. And on top of that if he gets 9l/100km of fuel efficiency out of that four cylinder diesel he is on a roll. Hey but he has a BMW and after a month with it he wishes he went for the Accord instead.

Better question would be why would you get a new Accord when you can get a year old used 5 series for that money. Now that is the real question cause at least 5 series comes with almost all the technology and convenience that loaded Accord has.
Old 04-23-14, 06:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Then you have somebody like my friend who drives 320d with no cruise control, no automatic headlights, no keycard entry, of course no hids, no heated seats, no Bluetooth, no nothing except automatic windows, dual AC and unfortunate BMW stop & go that each time rumbles the car when you clutch it and takes away the precious time until its ready to move. And on top of that if he gets 9l/100km of fuel efficiency out of that four cylinder diesel he is on a roll. Hey but he has a BMW and after a month with it he wishes he went for the Accord instead.

Better question would be why would you get a new Accord when you can get a year old used 5 series for that money. Now that is the real question cause at least 5 series comes with almost all the technology and convenience that loaded Accord has.
this is exactly how European buyer thinks, either base new car from "premium" brand or used 1-2-3 yr old luxury car.
Old 04-23-14, 06:08 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know people in EU. They hate life there.
Old 04-23-14, 06:38 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by yowps3
Me too, theyre all buying one way flights to new south wales.

Oh wait...
Old 04-23-14, 07:38 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
So their entry car is their most advanced car per their words.. Brilliant..

Not like this car made huge waves so not many likely disappointed. Considering the horrible software in the q50 and the RLX/mdx also having tech issues it does make sense to wait it out.
In case you haven't noticed, Honda/Acura PR has a bit of a rep for talking out both ends of their you know what. I love how they talked up that 8:1 compression 2.3L turbo engine in the 1st gen RDX and how it performed "more intelligently" than their 3.5L V6 engines did, which of course had lots of turbo lag and drank gas in an era of 10:1 compression direct injected turbo engines. Where'd that engine go now? Discontinued in favor of more 3.5L class V6 engines. Honda/Acura PR has ***ZERO*** credibility as far as the claims they make. PR is BS for sure, but they take it to a whole new level.
Old 04-23-14, 09:48 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Acura TLX Launch Date Delayed

If you’re anxiously waiting for the 2015 Acura TLX to arrive dealerships, you’ll have to wait a bit longer.

According to the Japanese automaker, the 2015 Acura TLX is being delayed so the company can sort out all the systems and technologies in the vehicle. It’s not one specific thing that is causing the delay according to a brand spokesperson, but rather Acura wants to ensure that all systems are ready to go for mass production.

The 2015 Acura TLX boasts the most advanced and customer-relevant technology than on any other Acura vehicle to date, and given the recent abundance of recalls, the automaker is probably choosing to be on the safer side with launching the vehicle.

In other words, Acura doesn’t want to put the TLX into production or on sale until “it’s perfect.” The new sedan comes with either a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine or 3.5-liter V6, but it will feature two brand new transmissions from Acura. The four-cylinder powerplant is mated to an eight-speed automatic while the V6 gets a nine-speed transmission. The company has also reworked its Precision All-Wheel Steering and Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive systems for the new model.

The 2015 TLX release date has been pushed back to late summer.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...mmer-2015.html
Old 04-23-14, 12:25 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

One thing I don't get about this car is the transmissions. Why 2 new ones all of a sudden, after years and years of lagging behind the competition? I would think 1 or the other would be plenty if done correctly. And which will technically be the better performance transmission, the dual clutch 8 or the 9-spd auto?
Old 04-23-14, 01:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Honda/Acura PR has ***ZERO*** credibility as far as the claims they make. PR is BS for sure, but they take it to a whole new level.
haha, i find ALL car maker PR to be BS with the possible exception of Porsche that is so well done that i still fall for it.

Originally Posted by yowps3
well you must not know many. but many so-called intellectuals in the u.s. go on endlessly about the u.s. would be more enlightened if it were like 'europe' which is ludicrous in so many ways not the least of which is the large variation across europe.
Old 04-23-14, 01:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd buy that for a dollar!
Old 04-23-14, 01:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Where can you get a year old 5-series for the price of an Accord Touring?
Old 04-23-14, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha, i find ALL car maker PR to be BS with the possible exception of Porsche that is so well done that i still fall for it.

Yeah, when ANY auto exec speaks publically about anything related to their brand there is more spin than actual facts. It's not confined to any one brand.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-23-14 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 03:27 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

imo, this car has no chance in the sport sedan market, assume it'll be priced between 30k - 50k. i would get any of the following in its price segment over the TLX

$30k - $40k: IS250/350 (yes, you can get a non f sport IS350 for under $40k brand new), BMW 328i sportsline, Subaru WRX/STi,

$40k - $50k: IS350 f sport, GS350, BMW 335i m sport, Caddy CTS 2.0T
Old 04-23-14, 04:53 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the TLX come with the creep in the backseat?

Old 04-23-14, 05:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ good catch !
Old 04-23-14, 06:14 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Where can you get a year old 5-series for the price of an Accord Touring?
All over old continent You can get a '12 for €22-26 with 70k miles on it or you can shop '11 for well under €20, some examples with 120k miles go as low as under €16.

Mind you that's not your US speced 5 series, here we are talking about 520d or 520i with most likely manual tranny and no power seats, stuff like that.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion