Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 05:04 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That exterior styling video presented by a lady that came dressed straight out of mid 90s really shows their demographics for Acura brand.

I hope this car does well for them. If I was in a need for a daily commute it would be a tossup between this or Mazda 6. Thank god I don't commute
Old 07-04-14, 05:49 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't understand the point of the shifter buttons--the amount of space all the individual buttons take up, they might as well have a shifter. Why not use a rotary **** like Jag?

To me, this is more evidence of Honda's obsession with buttons and gimmicks, and their "me too!" mentality.

If MB and the Prius have this little joystick-style gear selector, and Lincoln has a push-button gear selector, well Honda can go one better with this gimmicky, silly and non-ergonomic, incredibly complex push-me-pull-you gear selector.
Old 07-04-14, 09:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
What sucks is you don't get SH-AWD unless you get the highest priced trim(see below) You get everything you listed above in the 15 TLX including LED headlights standard and tail lights too. You should get better then Earth Dreams and there is no Type S, just yet anyway, because all the V6s in EVERY trim is gonna be only 290 HP and I imagine a Type S variant should be 300+ hp. Dual clutch transmission is a must have but at what price and if I already owned a house, I would be all over it a 40+k car if I want SH-AWD. My 95 Sc which I swiped for a song will be my figurehead 4 wheels!

You and I will be lucky to get the 4 cyl for 32k drive-out. The V6 will be about 37k driveout. I couldn't wait cause my Sc came to me and he became my lottery pick!

Edit: Here are the actual prices:

2015 TLX

2.4 206hp 8DCT AWS
- $30,995 BASE
- $35,025 TECH

3.5 290hp 9AT FWD AWS
- $35,220 BASE
- $39,250 TECH
- $42,500 ADV

3.5 290hp 9AT SH-AWD
- $41,450 TECH
- $44,700 ADV

More info can be found here: http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...linkId=8718219
For $45K, I think I'd get an S3 Premium Plus...
Old 07-04-14, 10:41 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
That exterior styling video presented by a lady that came dressed straight out of mid 90s really shows their demographics for Acura brand.
I love the way they describe the styling of this car. As if they've taken some revolutionary approach to the exterior that no one else could ever dream would be possible. It looks fine, but nothing out of the ordinary and nothing really that would make it stand out amongst the sea of other 4 door sedans. And the way the guy describes their reasoning to eliminate dual exhaust tailpipes is almost laughable. Cuz everyone knows that non-exposed tailpipes means lower emissions

I hate those mock tailpipe reflectors btw. They look tacky and cheap and no, they do not replace the look of actual tailpipes
Old 07-04-14, 10:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I love the way they describe the styling of this car. As if they've taken some revolutionary approach to the exterior that no one else could ever dream would be possible. It looks fine, but nothing out of the ordinary and nothing really that would make it stand out amongst the sea of other 4 door sedans. And the way the guy describes their reasoning to eliminate dual exhaust tailpipes is almost laughable. Cuz everyone knows that non-exposed tailpipes means lower emissions

I hate those mock tailpipe reflectors btw. They look tacky and cheap and no, they do not replace the look of actual tailpipes
I thought the exact same thing. I was kind of interested in the videos until that comment. Pure B.S.
Old 07-04-14, 11:04 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will be huge for Acura. 30k for the TLX is very attractive. The car looks really good too. Too bad about thee chaste though, it will out off many enthusiasts.
Old 07-04-14, 12:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It looks good because the TL was so horrible.

At least the drive-train is reasonable. No longer do you have to choose between a 6 speed automatic or walking.
Old 07-04-14, 12:21 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
CAN I JUST SAY ONE THING?!!!!

I'M STANDING HERE STARING AT AUTOMOTIVE LEGEND BLAIR DICKENS!!!! AND IF BLAIR DICKENS WANTS MORE "SIRI EYES-FREE MODE" THEN WE SHOULD PROBABLY GIVE HIM MORE "SIRI EYES-FREE MODE"!!!!

And Vladi you're right I am being selfish, but the LAST TIME I CHECKED WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF ACURA VEHICLES THAT FEATURE THE "SIRI EYES-FREE MODE"!!! And I'd be doing MYSELF A DISSERVICE, AND EVERY MEMBER OF THIS FORUM if I didn't buy a TLX and perform the HELL out of this talk-to-texting app!!!

GUESS WHAT? I'VE GOT A FEVER, AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION IS MORE 'SIRI EYES-FREE MODE'!!! Babies, before we're done here, you'll all be wearing Artisan TLX brand diapers! NEVER QUESTION BLAIR DICKENS!!
Old 07-04-14, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

this seems like a pretty decent step up from acura's recent efforts, and could do well for them. well anything that sells reasonably well would be better than they've been doing (except mdx/rdx!).
Old 07-05-14, 07:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this seems like a pretty decent step up from acura's recent efforts, and could do well for them. well anything that sells reasonably well would be better than they've been doing (except mdx/rdx!).
It will sell well because: they will capture buyers from the TSX and TL; and they clearly geared this model to the prototypical conservative Honda buyers.
Old 07-05-14, 10:37 PM
LexFather

Pricing is good until it's over 40k. It's interesting that Acura advertised the last model as "the most powerful Acura ever" in 2009 with a whopping 305hp and for their 2015 model this car has lost 15hp. Even the 4 cylinder has gained a whopping 6hp over the 2004 TSX. Of course trannys have more gears. All the tech it has as options are things the discontinued HS had back in 2010.

I just don't see how there is anything remotely exciting in a segment full of excitement. This seems like a full blown ES/ Buick/ Hyundai Azera competitor. Their goal is 44k units a year and surely they can do that with loyal fans.

Their 110hp ILX hybrid based on a Civic was 35k with options and with this at 35k it was another nail in its coffin.

Old 07-06-14, 09:52 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

wow good pricings, lower than i expected. that V6 SH-AWD with Tech package at 41k gonna give IS350 a run for the money as far as sales is concern. from my past experience, you can at least knock down $3k from their msrps after 1st year, so $38k for V6 sh-awd with tech, hell yeah that's an awesome deal.
Old 07-06-14, 11:11 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
wow good pricings, lower than i expected. that V6 SH-AWD with Tech package at 41k gonna give IS350 a run for the money as far as sales is concern. from my past experience, you can at least knock down $3k from their msrps after 1st year, so $38k for V6 sh-awd with tech, hell yeah that's an awesome deal.
The TLX will certainly outsell the IS.
Old 07-06-14, 11:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
The TLX will certainly outsell the IS.

Time will tell, but it very well could. The TLX won't have the in house competition like the IS does with ES and GS.
Old 07-06-14, 11:21 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Time will tell, but it very well could. The TLX won't have the in house competition like the IS does with ES and GS.
True, and combined, I'm the sure the ES/IS together will still rule the entry level class in sales.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion