Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 10:56 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly it doesn't look too bad. But Acura is stupid for ignoring those little touches that would have greatly enhanced the overall appearance ; example dual chrome exhuast tips amongst other things!
Old 07-11-14, 02:39 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep back in the good ole days - the only option on acuras was nav or no nav.

oh lord, are you actually complaining about short overhangs
LOL!!! R-E-A-R overhang, not front! Acura got it backward.
Old 07-11-14, 05:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
MM, we didn't need this TLX to arrive to know that the ILX was a mistake. That was Acura rushing a silly "luxurious" economy car out for no reason. Dead on arrival. The ILX is simply a waste, those things were never going to sell. Whoever OK'd bringing it to market should be fired.
Well, true, the TLX's arrival alone is not the only reason. The ILX, though well-built like all Acuras, didn't have the refinement or sound-insulation a proper entry-level premium/luxury sedan should have....it essentially drove like a more expensive Civic. In addition, the competing Buick Verano (which DID do the refinement/sound-insulation right) and the new Audi A3 sedan simply blew it away in sales.
Old 07-11-14, 05:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
LOL!!! R-E-A-R overhang, not front! Acura got it backward.
short overhangs are a good thing - front AND rear - stretching the wheel base allows more interior/cabin space.
Old 07-11-14, 06:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

short overhangs are a good thing - front AND rear - stretching the wheel base allows more interior/cabin space.
I won't get into good and bad, necessarily, because each person's preferences in a car are different....and your preferences are, of course, respected. Stretching the wheelbase does, in some cases, allow for more interior room (especially with FWD), and also, in some cases, a smoother ride. But it also can increase the turning radius and decrease maneuverability. And it leaves less crush-space for the from/t/rear sheet metal in crash-protection. Short overhangs, though, help handling/manuverability by taking weight off both the front and rear ends....but generally take away from ride comfort.

Longer overhangs, in contrast, (all else equal) increase trunk space, allow more room up front for larger engines, and contribute to a smoother ride by increasing the percentage of sprung weight/ and decreasing percentage of unsprung weight over the front/rear suspension. That's why cars designed primarily for a smooth ride, like the Lincoln Town Car and Cadillac DTS, had such long overhangs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-11-14 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 06:15 AM
LexFather

$299 a month is going to attract legions of loyal fans and tons of Accord owners. That is super aggressive. The ILX can be leased for no joke $159 or $199 a month so I doubt it effects sales.

What is crazy as someone mentioned is you can get a loaded ILX for 31k or a base tlx for 31k. The ILX looks like even more of a joke. To think the hybrid was 35k

Tlx pricing under 40k seems very good, that is loaded accord money.

Old 07-11-14, 06:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

hummm, pretty sure a shorter wheelbase contributes to less comfort, more bouncy ride
Old 07-11-14, 06:21 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
MM, we didn't need this TLX to arrive to know that the ILX was a mistake. That was Acura rushing a silly "luxurious" economy car out for no reason. Dead on arrival. The ILX is simply a waste, those things were never going to sell. Whoever OK'd bringing it to market should be fired.

Yep, they should just put the ILX out of its misery now.

The TLX is way better, and not that much more money.

Yet, the ILX (after a slow start) seems to be doing relatively well here in Southern Ontario, Canada, if my sightings of it on the roads is any indication. But the ILX's predecessors, the EL (starting from 1996) and the CSX (starting from 2005) did well also. They sold well, despite the fact that they were nothing more than expensive, dressed-up Civics that sold for about the same as the much better Accord.

Canadians, however, value smaller cars (the Civic has been the best-selling car here for more than a decade now) more than larger vehicles, so the ILX was probably a low risk for Canada but a (much) higher risk south of the border.
Old 07-11-14, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

hummm, pretty sure a shorter wheelbase contributes to less comfort, more bouncy ride
Yes, all else equal, it does. I thought I made that clear....if not, sorry for the misunderstanding.

But longer overhangs WITH a short wheelbase may, in some instances, smooth the ride by lessening the unsprung weight on the suspension. Depends on a number of factors.
Old 07-11-14, 06:24 AM
LexFather

^^^ ILX had a sales target of 40k a year. It sold maybe 20k and continues to drop. It's only a year old. And it's a 25k-35k car.

Old 07-11-14, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
$299 a month is going to attract legions of loyal fans and tons of Accord owners. That is super aggressive. The ILX can be leased for no joke $159 or $199 a month so I doubt it effects sales.

What is crazy as someone mentioned is you can get a loaded ILX for 31k or a base tlx for 31k. The ILX looks like even more of a joke. To think the hybrid was 35k

Tlx pricing under 40k seems very good, that is loaded accord money.
If you remember, when I reviewed the ILX two years ago, I questioned, at that time, why Acura needed two FWD entry-level sedans (discounting the TSX Sportwagon). I predicted then that one of them might (?) cannnibalize the other one. With the ILX, it not only had TLX sales breathing down its neck, but also the Verano and A3.
Old 07-11-14, 06:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, all else equal, it does. I thought I made that clear....if not, sorry for the misunderstanding.
ahhh I re-read your post....my bad....
Old 07-11-14, 06:43 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by cino
Agree. Best thing BMW has ever done, a V8 coupe.
Tell that to the purists, some considered that car and abomination. To them the e46 was the best lol..
Old 07-11-14, 06:54 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I recently began working for an acura dealership. the ILX does not sell well at all. we keep very few in stock. the RDX and MDX sell well. Lexus imo, is a few classes above Acura. No acura that I have driven have I said WOW. And I think the new TLX wont be any different. they ride hard and don't have lexus smoothness. I much prefer my IS350 to any Acura.
Old 07-11-14, 07:06 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

ILX was a Flop, my buddy has a TSX and for the money its a very nice car (rides a little rough)

I really want this car to succeed

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion