Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 07:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Modern Acuras have always been firm. The relatively noisy interior makes it sounds even worse than it really is. Not sure why Acura is so keen to skimp on insulation. I hope the TLX does well because it's their only saving grace. No other Acura sedans are doing well, and it's hurting them.
Old 07-11-14, 07:19 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Modern Acuras have always been firm. The relatively noisy interior makes it sounds even worse than it really is. Not sure why Acura is so keen to skimp on insulation. I hope the TLX does well because it's their only saving grace. No other Acura sedans are doing well, and it's hurting them.
Probably weight saving, they need to push the cars as being efficient. The cheapest and fastest way to drop weight is to loose some sound deadening. Also carpets are a little this and so is sheet metal. Combine all of that and you get more noise in the cabin.
Old 07-11-14, 07:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not worth it on a supposed luxury car. Insulation doesn't weigh that much anyways. When I did my audio system in my Lexus a couple years back, I ripped out all the factory insulation (eventually put it back) and the weight saving was almost negligible (<50lbs), but the car was substantially louder. You won't feel a difference in acceleration/mpg by dropping 50 lbs, but you will hear it.
Old 07-12-14, 03:41 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-12-14, 04:23 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
I can buy 9 classic sc3s or 4s for the price of 1 V6 TLX and I might not even get the SH-AWD out of it if I don't MAX out the options or atleast the most important (and expensive) one!
oooooook.... I can buy 1500 diecast C7 models too with $45K but no clue what this has to do with TLX discussion.
Old 07-13-14, 03:12 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Standard led headlights.

I wonder when other brands will start offering standard led headlights. With led's so widely used these days, led headlights should no longer be an option on premium cars
Old 07-13-14, 03:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Standard led headlights.

I wonder when other brands will start offering standard led headlights. With led's so widely used these days, led headlights should no longer be an option on premium cars
The new Corolla has standard LED lights. Just because they are LED, does not automatically mean they are good. In order to make them reliable and effective the design has to be complex and expensive.
Old 07-13-14, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Probably from cost-cutting. If one compares the newest ES350 with former versions, one will also notice a little more road noise on the new one...Lexus cut back on the wheel-well insulation, and thinner sheet metal doesn't help either.
Old 07-13-14, 03:43 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The new Corolla has standard LED lights. Just because they are LED, does not automatically mean they are good. In order to make them reliable and effective the design has to be complex and expensive.
Point taken, BUT if Toyota can decrease manufacturing costs effectively enough to have them mass produced and standard on one of their highest volume cars, then they should be more than effective enough.
Old 07-13-14, 06:27 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Standard led headlights.

I laugh when I see a new BMW with halogen lights
Old 07-13-14, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I laugh when I see a new BMW with halogen lights.
If you've seen what Xenon or HID systems cost to replace, you'll probably be glad to have halogens. True, the newer systems last longer, but when they DO fail, and are not warranty-covered, they can cost some $$$$$.....especially at expensive shops like BMW.
Old 07-13-14, 06:42 PM
LexFather

Standard led headlights.

The RDX, ILX don't have it standard. As OCh stated a Corolls has LEDs standard as well. Also note Acura is too cheap to have a separate LED DRL, the DRL is the headlight at a lower intensity. Not to mention no exhaust outlets. Oddly enough a Honda Accord can be optioned with LEDs and a separate LED strip and exhaust pipes. Then they wonder why they are not taken seriously.

Lexus was first with LED headlights back in 2007, Audi was first with a full LED headlight and clearly made the separate DRL popular.

And bagwell I agree, standard halogen look so bad on a new luxury car in 2014. It should be a mandatory to pay for that option!

Old 07-13-14, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
And bagwell I agree, standard halogen look so bad on a new luxury car in 2014. It should be a mandatory to pay for that option!
You don't think though, that with some manufacturers, bulb-replacement costs and concern for the customers might be an issue? I've heard of some Xenon/HID systems costing as much as $800 to replace (perhaps more on some vehicles I'm not aware of). IMO, that's a lot for headlights, even on a luxury car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-13-14 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-13-14, 06:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You don't think though, that with some manufacturers, bulb-replacement costs and concern for the customers might be an issue? I've heard of some Xenon/HID systems costing as much as $800 to replace. IMO, that's a lot for headlights, even on a luxury car.
Failures are few and far between, the technology has gotten cheaper, more reliable, brighter and in the case of LEDs it is safer.

The first generation of LEDs were not super impressive due to them being first. The current generation in many cars are amazing. I ensured they were on my LS F-sport. Other standouts that I've driven are the CLS 63 and Q50, both with awesome LED lights.

Driving one of those cars with LEDs compared to one with HIDs is a night and day difference similar to HIDs vs Halogen in the late 90s early 2000s.. To Acura's credit they are using them one car at a time but it just seems cheap without a separate DRL. A separate LED DRL also has a coolness factor about it.

Old 07-13-14, 08:00 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, true, the TLX's arrival alone is not the only reason. The ILX, though well-built like all Acuras, didn't have the refinement or sound-insulation a proper entry-level premium/luxury sedan should have....it essentially drove like a more expensive Civic. In addition, the competing Buick Verano (which DID do the refinement/sound-insulation right) and the new Audi A3 sedan simply blew it away in sales.
Yep, "a more expensive Civic" has to be a tough sell at Acura dealerships. I feel sorry for those Acura salespeople.

Originally Posted by LexFather
$299 a month is going to attract legions of loyal fans and tons of Accord owners. That is super aggressive. The ILX can be leased for no joke $159 or $199 a month so I doubt it effects sales.

What is crazy as someone mentioned is you can get a loaded ILX for 31k or a base tlx for 31k. The ILX looks like even more of a joke. To think the hybrid was 35k

Tlx pricing under 40k seems very good, that is loaded accord money.
The ILX pricing is crazy, given what it is. The TLX pricing is aggressive. I'd rather buy a TLX than a loaded Accord. But others will want the outright roominess of the new Accord. I respect that.

Originally Posted by Sulu
Yet, the ILX (after a slow start) seems to be doing relatively well here in Southern Ontario, Canada, if my sightings of it on the roads is any indication. But the ILX's predecessors, the EL (starting from 1996) and the CSX (starting from 2005) did well also. They sold well, despite the fact that they were nothing more than expensive, dressed-up Civics that sold for about the same as the much better Accord.

Canadians, however, value smaller cars (the Civic has been the best-selling car here for more than a decade now) more than larger vehicles, so the ILX was probably a low risk for Canada but a (much) higher risk south of the border.
American's value small cars too, but not small 'luxury' vehicles. I've seen about 10 ILX's on the road since it's launched, and I live in the Washington DC area....where luxury cars are everywhere.

Originally Posted by bagwell
I laugh when I see a new BMW with halogen lights
Haha, me too!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion