Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it just me or is there NOTHING exciting happening at Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 04:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
With respect to the word "exciting" in the OP thread title,

To those that said no to the LFA, subjective styling aside, I could put you in the LFA with Scott Pruett or Randy Pobst, hook you up to a heart monitor and your heart would be racing more than in your favorite stock Lexus
I completely AGREE!

LFA is just awesome, if I only had the $$$$$$$$$

People forget when Toyota/Lexus wants to build great things - they usually never fail!........But in this day and age stock price runs the show.
Old 07-11-13, 05:11 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Again I stated this previously - the reasons Lexus hybrid sales are high if u look at Global figures bec they offer no DIESEL engine options and ONLY offer a HYBRID powertrain as the only option. Therefore those #s dont tell the whole story!

Also - Lexus Global sales are extremely low compared to MB, Audi, and BMW - this is especially true for China.

The US is Lexus' BEST market by far and the HYBRID powertrain has not found success in America. Its not only Lexus - all the other make have poor HYBRID SALES also!
Not sure why we would ignore global lexus hybrid sales based on your reasoning. That's like saying we cant compare the chicken burgers from McDonalds to those of KFC because KFC doesnt sell beef hamburgers and thus skews the number of people who buy chicken burgers.

If people didnt like hybrids, then they wouldnt buy Lexus hybrids at all and just buy the diesel competitors from the germans.

Also not sure what you mean by hybrid powertrain has not found success in America. Besides middle America, every other car is a hybrid on the west coast or east coast. Hell, if we look at fleet sales, you would see an even bigger skew. Every other taxi cab is some sort of hybrid

Last edited by RXSF; 07-11-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 05:23 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

How is the biggest year ever basically for Lexus not exciting? Plus the RC coupe and RCF coming, and a small crossover and probably a bigger RX, and maybe the LFLC
Old 07-11-13, 07:34 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I feel the same way. Not a single Lexus model currently out really excites me, except of course for the LFA, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league.
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
"new engines coming"... That's the only really interesting thing I see out of all that text. Do we know anything about the new engines?
Yeah I pretty much agree with both of these.

Although in my situation, I keep cars for 12-13+ years so hopefully Lexus will have something interesting by 2021 or 2022 in the engines/performance department.

The ISF is great and hopefully the next generation delivers. That and a GSF would excite me if they ever make one.

The LFA is fantastic but impractical.
Old 07-11-13, 07:34 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusNN
How is the biggest year ever basically for Lexus not exciting? Plus the RC coupe and RCF coming, and a small crossover and probably a bigger RX, and maybe the LFLC
Is the RC/RCF confirmed? If so, that's definitely exciting.
Old 07-11-13, 07:38 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

To me, Audi is a great example of a brand with an exciting lineup.

S4, S5, S6, S8 (this one is truly amazing with a sub-12 second quarter mile)

Then they have the RS variants like the RS4, RS5, RS6.

BMW has the M3, M5, M6, 550i with Dinan tuning to get near M5 level straight line performance, Z4M

Mercedes has a slew of AMG variants.

Lexus has the ISF, LFA.

That's a solid start, but I want more. The RCF would be a good continuation if that actually comes to fruition, as would a GSF.
Old 07-11-13, 07:42 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dmvp29
To me, Audi is a great example of a brand with an exciting lineup.

S4, S5, S6, S8 (this one is truly amazing with a sub-12 second quarter mile)

Then they have the RS variants like the RS4, RS5, RS6.

BMW has the M3, M5, M6, 550i with Dinan tuning to get near M5 level straight line performance, Z4M

Mercedes has a slew of AMG variants.

Lexus has the ISF, LFA.

That's a solid start, but I want more. The RCF would be a good continuation if that actually comes to fruition, as would a GSF.
Agreed, this gives people the option of driving there favorite car, but getting it with more horsepower/better handling. If you loved the GS, LS, RX, CT etc. and wanted more power/ better handling your SOL. They lose a lot of business this way I think.
Old 07-11-13, 07:51 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

The GS hybrid bombed because it only comes in RWD

In the regions I hang out in , Boston, NY an Chicago, nearly all the GSs are AWD

These regions are also good hor hybrid sales

When the sales mix for the Infiniti Q50 hybrid AWD vs RWD Is reported i expect the AWD to take a big percentage of the sales
Old 07-11-13, 08:41 PM
LexFather

I think we all agree Lexus has serious areas of opportunity in the fun arena but I don't understand beating up the brand like its Saab or something. Lexus is hard at work turning things around from styling to the drive to new powertains.

Yes the RC is confirmed and being tested at tracks now. Expect the new boosted 4 and the old 3.5 initially.

Again I stated this previously - the reasons Lexus hybrid sales are high if u look at Global figures bec they offer no DIESEL engine options and ONLY offer a HYBRID powertrain as the only option. Therefore those #s dont tell the whole story!

Also - Lexus Global sales are extremely low compared to MB, Audi, and BMW - this is especially true for China.

The US is Lexus' BEST market by far and the HYBRID powertrain has not found success in America. Its not only Lexus - all the other make have poor HYBRID SALES also!
Wait a minute here you flaunt German worldwide sales, then say don't worry about Lexus global figures for hybrids? What logic is that?

We know Lexus sales are low compared to the Germans, when I was in Jamaica you know whats sitting at the airport being advertised? An Audi A1, about the size of a damn Yaris. Lexus will never sell like the Germans, they don't sell all those small cars, 4 cylinder cars and base cars. That is the bulk of sales, not high end AMG models.

Where are your facts to support Lexus has failed at hybrids in America, for the most part they are very well received and lead the way.

Its amusing people love to beat up Lexus for copying and fap to Germans leading and here is Lexus leading with hybrids and the Germans way behind copying and there isn't a damn peep on the internet (crickets).

I don't understand your reasoning. We all have said Lexus isn't as exciting as the Germans, they do have a few exciting products with more to come. Why beat Lexus to the ground like they are doing nothing.

The CT was definitely a success but I doubt people buy it bec its a hybrid (Gas mileage is not even that great). If it offered another powertrain, I would imagine it would sell even better.
Reasons I think it sells are: 1) it is the lowered priced Lexus 2) It looks GREAT

H
That makes NO sense. The car is a hybrid only and people LOVE that its a hybrid, it was the highest MPG luxury car for awhile. Where the gas/diesel BMW 320 and C-class hatch and A3 failed or sold poorly, the CT proved people will buy a luxury hatch in America. It is a HUGE accomplishment as this is an area the Germans did horrible in.

How can you say people don't buy a CT as a hybrid when that is the only way its offered? lol

Old 07-11-13, 09:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
That makes NO sense. The car is a hybrid only and people LOVE that its a hybrid, it was the highest MPG luxury car for awhile. Where the gas/diesel BMW 320 and C-class hatch and A3 failed or sold poorly, the CT proved people will buy a luxury hatch in America. It is a HUGE accomplishment as this is an area the Germans did horrible in.

How can you say people don't buy a CT as a hybrid when that is the only way its offered? lol

I think the upcoming Mercedes CLA will be a huge hit, most likely surpassing CT sales.
Old 07-12-13, 02:26 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think Lexus should stop selling HYBRIDS.........All I said was they BET too much $$$ in mid-2000s that it was the next big thing at it turned out that it wasn't.

Nobody can deny the success of Prius - it just hasn't been the same for Lexus.
The Prius made up less than 9% of Toyota's US sales in 2012 (and that includes the entire Prius family). The CT alone made up 7% of Lexus' US total sales. Even with an extremely conservative 15% 450h rate among RX purchases (remember, historically it's closer to 20%), the CT and RX 450h would make up more than 13% of Lexus' US sales in 2012. And that completely ignores the GS and LS hybrids! The simple reality is that Lexus has sold far more hybrids as a portion of its total sales than Toyota has.

I just don't know what you're going on and on about as far as Prius success vs some sort of Lexus hybrid failure. It makes no sense.
Old 07-12-13, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

How can you say people don't buy a CT as a hybrid when that is the only way its offered?
Though the comment wasn't directed at me, Mike, I think the most likely reason people buy the CT is that it offers a version of the Prius's reliable/refined hybrid drivetrain (despite some EPA MPG difference) without the quirkiness/awkward design of several of the Prius dashs and interiors. One version of the Prius, for example, has a big hole/tunnel cut out of the lower part of the console that you have to reach down through to reach the heated-seat switches all the way down on the floor. The NuLuxe upholstery in the CT, IMO, is also done VERY well.......clearly, aside from the drivetrain, one of the car's best features. But I still think, even after several years since it was introduced, that, overall, it's too small, rides too stiffly, and has too much road noise to be a true Lexus product.
Old 07-12-13, 10:29 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
No, seriously, Lexus just takes awhile (many say too long) for product development, especially a brand new model (like a new coupe or something).

I was going to wait for the IS coupe, but that will likely take years.

So, a 2011 or '12 M3 it is. I just test drove this past weekend. Itching to pull the trigger on a blue 2012 with 10,000 miles with DCT (the engine note is glorious!)

For sure, I'll eventually be back to Lexus....but, like you, my patience has run out.
Don't be so sure you'll return to Lexus unless BMW gives you a real good reason to do so. I doubt they will. This is what happened to domestic vehicles in America. Foreign makes built better vehicles, Americans switched, and now that the playing field has been leveled - people have no real reason to go back to domestics. Why change? Why fix what's not broken? Lexus needs more exciting vehicles (better performing). Even Cadillac realized the CTS with a V6 ONLY was a stupid idea. And here goes Lexus doing exactly the same thing. What does the GS compete against? The Acura TL?

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For me, the 2013 LS460 is the best looking and most exciting Lexus ever made. I have never liked the 07-12 LS as it was such a bland car inside and outside.

The 2013 LS F-sport was stunning, the black headliner and A/B/C pillars were nice touches.
I love the appearance of the new LS460 but performance was noticeably weak compared to every other vehicle in the segment BEFORE the design change. Now we have this great, new, "agressive" design - but the same old drivetrain that was already weak in 2007. That's really disappointing to me.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome back, Sal. Haven't seen you post here for quite a while. I've seen your name pop up a couple of times in one or two of the Buick Verano forums (I'm a Verano owner now myself, and occasionally scan the forums myself), but I haven't joined any because I consider CL and CAR CHAT my home.

As to your question about Lexus, it depends on what you would consider "exciting". I personally think the new ES350 is a disappointment, but the new GS is getting quite a good reputation among sporting and non-sporting drivers alike. The CT200H was a decent attempt at a small luxury hatchback, but, IMO, is too small, rides too stiffly and lacks too much refinement to be a true Lexus product. Nothing in the F-Sport line really interests me, for several reasons....I'm generally not that aggressive a driver, though I'll drive hard enough to (reasonably) evaluate a car's handling if I'm doing a review.
Thank you! I own BuickOwners.com so that's maybe where you've seen me. Buick has been surprising me lately. They're really making nice improvements...

I think the new GS is a good drivers car - but no V8 and/or turbo/supercharged V6 and it's not even a consideration for me. A car that performs worse than it's previous generation is really shocking - especially when the rest of the industry is improving in this aspect. If I want a car that performs adequately, I'd buy an Avalon or something similar.

I used to make fun of Cadillac for this... I used to say their slogan was, "Cadillac! Pretty DARN good!" or "Cadillac! Just LIKE a BMW!".

Originally Posted by RXSF
well Lexus is no Mercedes, but it aint Acura either...catch my drift?

What we really need is some really gorgeous niche vehicle to get the blood pumping again, some kind of CLS/6 contender based on the GS platform but with larger proportions and on a grander scale.
Well. I think the new GS competes with the Acura TL better than anything with it's weak V6. Cadillac used to be here with the CTS but at least they came to their senses and can now actually compete with everyone else.

Lexus DOES need a midsize car that performs the way many luxury car buyers (like myself) expect it to.

While I don't agree with the thread title here (Sal you trying to stir the natives )I think I've been pretty vocal with Hoovey and some other stout Lexus owners that Lexus does need to step it up. Things continue to move slowly compared to the Germans and even with the very good F-sport line, its not an F lineup let alone something like Black Series or RS......
I'm just VERY frustrated. Not trying to stir things up... You should see some of the things I used to say about Cadillac on GM Inside News. I am VERY critical of my favorite brands...
Old 07-12-13, 10:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Well. I think the new GS competes with the Acura TL better than anything with it's weak V6. Cadillac used to be here with the CTS but at least they came to their senses and can now actually compete with everyone else.

eh... i doubt Lexus will ever become a brand with 700hp engines in every vehicles, so maybe it is better to switch to something else then.
Old 07-12-13, 10:47 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
eh... i doubt Lexus will ever become a brand with 700hp engines in every vehicles, so maybe it is better to switch to something else then.
Are you being sarcastic? Who needs 700hp in every vehicle? What brand has this or anything even remotely like it?

IS-F. Not everyone wants a tiny little automobile.
LF-A. Hardly anyone wants to spend over $300,000.00 on a vehicle. Plus, it's not even in production anymore.

That's it?! Save your sarcasm.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or is there NOTHING exciting happening at Lexus?