Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Next Gen BMW 5-Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 10:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
fixed that for you....
Photoshop skills ftw
Old 08-21-15, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-5...s-spy-shots-1/
Old 09-08-16, 06:26 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next-Gen BMW 5-Series Teaser Reveals Tweaked LED Taillights

BMW has just released a teaser video of the G30-generation 5-Series ahead of the vehicle's online debut in the coming weeks.

While the minute long video only shows the new car for a matter of seconds, it does preview the reshaped body as well as the tweaked rear-end. Perhaps the most notable change visible in the teaser are the different LED taillights which appear to have adopted a slightly thinner and more flowing design than those of the current car.

The timing of this clip would suggest that the public debut for the model is imminent, logically at the Paris Motor Show at the end of this month. However, some recent reports claim that we won't see the new 5-Series in the flesh until January's Detroit Auto Show.

Whatever the case may be, it's previously been confirmed that the updated model will be based around the company's new CLAR platform. Due to its utilization of aluminum, carbon fiber and high-strength steel, it is expected to help the new model shed at least 80 kg (176 lb) from the current car.

In terms of powertrains, a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder is expected to come as standard in base 5-Series variants. Elsewhere in the range will be 3.0-liter straight-six diesel and petrol engines, a diesel six-cylinder with electric turbochargers, a plug-in hybrid model and for high-spec derivatives including the new M5, a 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8.

In a bid to rival the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class, a number of technologies from the 7-Series will then find their way into its smaller sibling. This will include a selection of autonomous driving functions, gesture control and laser headlights.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/nex...r-reveals.html
Old 09-08-16, 06:29 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default BMW Puts The Final Touches On The 2017 5-Series And Its Trick Chassis

As the new 5-Series is edging closer to its official launch, BMW is gradually removing the camo wraps off the prototypes that are roaming the streets.

So far, we have a pretty good idea on how the new 5-Series, codenamed G30, will look like. It will certainly not break any molds with its design and, by the looks of it, will be more like a smaller, sharper version of the 7-Series, but there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Based on the Cluster Architecture (CLAR) that was introduced in the latest 7er, the new 5-Series is expected to be up to 100kg (220lbs) lighter than its predecessor thanks to the increased use of aluminum in the chassis that will also benefit its structural rigidity. Contradicting previous reports, the latest intel says that the carbon-fiber bits will remain an exclusive to the flagship due to cost restraints. BMW has also added a new electric steering, while the car will continue to use double wishbones up front and a five-link suspension setup at the rear, both of them completely re-engineered to take advantage of the new platform.

The new 5-Series will be powered by a wide range of four- and six-cylinder turbocharged units, both petrol and diesel ones. All four-bangers will be 2.0-litre units in various states of tune, with the most powerful petrol version to be found in the 530i. In the same fashion, the six-cylinder engine options will be 3.0-litre units, offered in petrol (540i) and diesel (530d and 540d) versions.

An active four-wheel steering system will be available as an option to both rear- and all-wheel drive (sDrive and xDrive in BMW-speak) models and, apart from a sports suspension, there'll also be an electronically controlled one.

If the latest info turns out to be accurate, BMW will most likely bring out the five-door 5-Series GT first, at the Paris Motor Show, with the official reveal of the Sedan set for October, though not in the French capital.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/bmw...-5-series.html
Old 09-08-16, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

looks so boring and bland.
Old 09-08-16, 08:28 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It seems like most of the german brands arent even trying anymore when it comes to design and styling. One sausage many lengths. Sometimes 1 length many sausages.
Old 09-08-16, 08:56 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks so boring and bland.
Shhhh, some will call that understated and elegant
Old 09-08-16, 09:04 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meet the new one, same as the old one.
Old 09-08-16, 09:35 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's gonna look the same as the 7, if it's AWD and 600+hp, then it's interesting to look at.
Old 09-08-16, 12:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Incredibly boring and bland inside and out but it is a BMW and that is all that matters. BMW exterior and interior design and quality has taken a nose dive after the E48 3 series and E39 5 series.
Old 09-08-16, 12:57 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Incredibly boring and bland inside and out but it is a BMW and that is all that matters. BMW exterior and interior design and quality has taken a nose dive after the E48 3 series and E39 5 series.
I assume you meant E46 3-series. I had an E46 3-series and an E60 5-series; I was and still am a huge fan of the Bangle-era cars, pre-facelift 7-series excepted.
Old 09-08-16, 01:48 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

My favorite 5 has to be the E60. Modern BMWs are just meh to me.
Old 09-08-16, 05:12 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The ultimate boring machine!
Old 09-08-16, 07:14 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avid BMW guy here. Personally, I think BMW is playing it too safe as a brand lately. The current 5 is a handsome car and this new one will be too, but it will be very evolutionary inside and out. That can all be tolerated if it were head's and shoulders above the competition in the driving experience. Yet, since the days of the E60, E90, E70, etc. BMWs have become softer and more numb. Their powertrains are still the best in the business, but that connection with the road isn't even near what it used to be. Only some of the ///M cars are still good. Your average 320 BMW drives like a Toyota.

BMW is designing cars to be #1 in sales instead of being true to their heritage. I hope this approach bites them in the a$$ one day.
Old 09-08-16, 07:17 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I assume you meant E46 3-series. I had an E46 3-series and an E60 5-series; I was and still am a huge fan of the Bangle-era cars, pre-facelift 7-series excepted.
In my opinion the post-facelift E65 is one of the most handsome sedans ever. It had a real presence and charisma that was missing in the F01 and is missing in the newest 7-series as well. Instead of looking like a distinct 7-series, the F01 and G11 just look like "big BMWs." Sales of the newest 7er have been slow and reports are saying that internal sources are pitting the blame on conservative styling inside and out. It's a nice car just like the A8, and with the right options catches the eye. But the Audi and Bimmer are missing that "it" factor that the latest S-class has.

BMW management has really gone to h3ll since the E89 Z4 was released. Every subsequent new model has been a "better" car overall with more technology and luxury features, but are they better BMWs? Not in a million years!

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Next Gen BMW 5-Series