Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Next Gen BMW 5-Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 09:17 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Wow BMW felt they need to take an L this generation. This reminds me of the L Mercedes took when they launched the W212 E class (last gen E Class).

Looks soo similar to the last generation, nothing too flashy. I guess there going to market the carbon core in the G30 mostly. Of course I do remember some pressies have had early access and they loved the driving feel so thats a plus (we shall see when I get my test drive). The leaked pics if real is in M sport form with the plastic black diffuser in the back.
Old 10-11-16, 10:12 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the 5 gets carbon core like the 7, it use alumium and magnisum instead, but reportedly saving 150-220 lbs depends on model/trim.

no doubt they are improving the driving dynamics but will it better the E39? Maybe not.
Old 10-11-16, 10:54 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 BMW 5-Series will be revealed on 13 October 2016 (+ video)

The latest tease video for the new 2017 BMW 5-Series confirms it will be revealed this Thursday ( 13 October 2016) and on sale in early 2017.

We didn’t expect the new BMW 5-Series to be revealed until some time in the New Year – especially as it didn’t show up at the Paris Motor Show – but a new tease video for the 5-Series reveals it will be unveiled on Thursday 13 October.

To be honest, we hadn’t expected the new 5-Series to be ready to roll until early 2017, but it seems BMW is ready to go, and the two latest tease videos (below) look like they’ll be the last.

Just how much of the new 5-Series will be revealed this week remains to be seen, because as far as we can work out there’s going to be an awful lot on offer with the latest version of a car which perhaps defines BMW more than any other.

Not only will we see the regular 5-Series saloon, but we’re expecting to see the 5-Series Gran Turismo (yes, the big-arsed 5-Series) continue as well as a new 5-Series Touring, and all sitting on a new platform promising lower weight, greater rigidity and cleverer packaging.

Under the skin we’re also expecting to see everything from a 3-cylinder 1.5 litre diesel with around 150bhp all the way up to 600bhp plus from the new M5’s twin-turbo V8, with a plethora of options in between – diesel, petrol and, it would seem, a plug-in hybrid too. There will also be xDrive 4WD options.

Technology will, as you’d expect, proliferate, not just safety technology but stuff like the Driver Assistance and Remote 3D View previewed in the teaser videos below.

Much more detail when BMW officially unveils the 2017 5-Series later this week.
http://www.carsuk.net/2017-bmw-5-ser...er-2016-video/
Old 10-11-16, 10:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It seems fair, but not standout, not anything special, nor fresh enough. The blue dash lights are a first and big surprise- new territory for a BMW sedan. The dash will be called "dated" in three years. They really needed to reinvent that part of the car, which was criticized and lacking. Headlights and taillights are flabby and too large. BMW really needs to abandon the separated kidney grille and move into modern times with everyone else. Retro styling is impeding progression- a common fault with many other brands. Hockey puck piece on the flanks is gimmicky. Rear diffuser has a nice shape, is much more modern, but has way too much cheap, black plastic to look elegant and expensive. Tailpipe tips finally move away from the 80's 'add-a-plumbing-pipe' look of past models. Overall, a ho-hum grade C.
Old 10-11-16, 10:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
New vs Old

Your comparing G30 Msport to F10 Non-Msport.....not a true picture there.
Old 10-12-16, 10:20 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Your comparing G30 Msport to F10 Non-Msport.....not a true picture there.
talk about nitpicking

I did try to find the same tirm level, but thats all the stock photos they had on motorauthority.com
Old 10-12-16, 10:29 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default 2017 BMW 5-Series Photos Leaked Giving Us Our First Look At The G30 [Updated]

Just ahead of the new 2017 BMW 5-Series’ debut on October 13, what appear to be official images of the G30-codenamed sedan in M Sport trim, have appeared on the internet – we picked them up over at the Germancarforum.

If you’ve been tracing the development of the seventh-generation 5-Seriesthrough our spy photographers’ lens over the past year or so, then you won’t be surprised with the G30’s evolutionary exterior styling that heavily borrows on the aesthetics of the latest 7-Series while incorporating some more contemporary cues from the 2013 Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupé concept car.

In other words, and at least judging by these initial images, the new 5-Series looks like a resized 7-Series with seemingly sexier / more dynamic proportions, especially at the rear, thanks to the stubbier tail, sloping boot lid and more heavily raked window.

It’s a similar –and some would say, all too familiar- story inside, with BMW lazily adopting the same design, switchgear and layout as the bigger 7-Series, with the dashboard featuring high-resolution digital instruments and a free-standing infotainment screen.

Underpinning BMW’s executive model is the new Cluster Architecture (CLAR) that incorporates high-strength steel, carbon fiber and aluminum modules and components to help the 5er drop as much as 100kg (220 lbs) helping improve handling and agility, as well as fuel economy.

Power will come from BMW’s latest 2.0-liter B47 diesel and B48 gasoline four-cylinder units, and 3.0-liter B57 diesel and B58 gasoline six-cylinder engines, with an M Performance inline-six diesel for the M550d, a turbocharged gasoline V8 for the 550i, to join the range as well. BMW also plans to offer the 5-Series with the same plug-in hybrid 2.0-liter four-cylinder gasoline-electric powertrain used in the 330e, 740e and X5 xDrive40e.

Next year we’ll see the high-po M5, combing a 600hp+ turbocharged V8 for the first time in the model’s history with an optional all-wheel drive system.

Standard 5-Series models will be available (depending on the market) with either 6-speed manual gearboxes or a new nine-speed automatic, while the M5 will adopt a dual-clutch transmission.

Following the introduction of the G30 5-Series Sedan, BMW will release the G31 Touringand the G32 five-door GT promising a sleeker body than today’s bulbous model.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/201...ed-giving.html

Old 10-12-16, 11:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

soooooooo boring. but probably a nice car to drive.
Old 10-12-16, 03:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Gallery
Old 10-12-16, 03:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

the front overhang looks so big, did they sneak in fwd?
Old 10-12-16, 04:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

the dash looks like 6wb (instrment cluster) finally is being normalized over the lineup. That was a huge mod some peeps tried installing in their f10s
Old 10-12-16, 04:14 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

taillights are little too big IMO, but other than that I like it.
Old 10-12-16, 05:47 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They nailed it inside and out. As I predicted, it'll be even more handsome than the already beautiful F10. Makes the A6 and new E-class look mundane in comparison. Now what I'm most concerned about is the driving experience; will it be numb like the F10 or will it have more traditional BMW DNA injected into it? I'm guessing the former, but hoping for the latter.
Old 10-12-16, 06:01 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
They nailed it inside and out. As I predicted, it'll be even more handsome than the already beautiful F10. Makes the A6 and new E-class look mundane in comparison.
LOL - mundane??? yaaaaaaaaawn, yes that's the 5 series for ya! gee, redesigned angel eyes and that's it. I don't love every BMW just because it's a BMW.
IMO l think the A6/S6 look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better......

Last edited by bagwell; 10-12-16 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-12-16, 06:19 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it more as more, sure the tails could be little smaller but not a deal breaker.
Overall looks nicer than the 7 specially the rear. Looks like M5 will be next for me,
but please put in LCD cluster instead of analog ones like now in all M cars, I would like it
to change base on driving mode.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Next Gen BMW 5-Series