Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda reveals next-gen Fit Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 11:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Honda reveals next-gen Fit Hybrid

Honda reveals next-gen Fit Hybrid

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-honda-fit-hybrid/

Psst! Remember late last month when we showed you those Japanese magazine scans purporting to show the next Honda Fit? The ones with the markedly more aggressive snout and Cuisinart-blade alloys? Yup, they were the real deal, but they weren't the standard model, they were images of the new Hybrid. We know this because Honda has just released a handful of images and some details on its forthcoming gas-electric hatchback, and the images line up perfectly.

The big story for the third-generation Fit Hybrid will be the fuel economy, naturally. Honda says it has achieved economy ratings of 36.4 kilometers per liter – 86 miles per gallon – on its home-market cycle, highest among all hybrid models in Japan and a 35-percent improvement over the current Fit Hybrid, a model not sold in the US.

Interestingly, the Fit brooms the company's underwhelming Integrated Motor Assist system in favor of a new single-motor e-assist system dubbed Sport Hybrid i-DCD, and it eschews a CVT like most hybrids in favor of a "dual clutch drive" (i-DCD) with seven speeds. The architecture can completely uncouple the 1.5-liter Atkinson cycle four-cylinder engine and the i-DCD's 22-kilowatt electric motor. The motor itself is backed by a lithium-ion battery that's integrated into the power unit, and Honda is also touting a new servo brake system and electric compressor that increases the efficacy of the regenerative braking while curbing engine load. The Fit Hybrid will be able to putter along at speeds of up to 31 mph in pure electric mode for 1.9 miles.

Automotive News reports that while the Fit Hybrid seen here isn't expected to be sold in the US, the technology will come to America in the form of a subcompact sedan and crossover based on the Fit's architecture, as early as next year. The conventionally powered five-door Fit will be built in North America for the first time, and should hit dealers in the third quarter of next year. Built in Honda's new Ceyala, Mexico plant, the US car is likely to be offered with a 1.5-liter direct-injection engine paired to a CVT, both new components in Honda's Earth Dreams arsenal. A 1.3-liter port-injected powerplant is also expected to be fitted elsewhere in the world.

All-New Fit Hybrid Achieves Fuel Economy of 36.4 km/L, More than 35% Improvement - The all-new Fit Hybrid will be the first model to be equipped with SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive, Honda's lightweight compact hybrid system -

TOKYO, Japan, July 19, 2013 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. achieved fuel economy of 36.4 km/L*1 (JC08mode) on the all new Fit Hybrid, which is the highest*2 among all hybrid models in Japan. The all-new Fit Hybrid is scheduled to be introduced and go on sale in Japan this September.

The all-new Fit Hybrid will be the first model to be equipped with the SPORT HYBRID*3 Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive (i-DCD), Honda's lightweight and compact one-motor hybrid system suited for small-sized vehicles. Although this is a one motor hybrid system, this system realized the EV drive by disengaging the engine and motor. The SPORT HYBRID i-DCD is one of the Earth Dreams Technology, Honda's new-generation powertrain technologies which realize both the fun of driving and excellent fuel economy at a high level.

Adopting a newly developed inline 4-cylinder 1.5L Atkinson cycle (high expansion ratio cycle) engine, the SPORT HYBRID i-DCD consists of a 7-speed DCT*4 system with a built-in high-output motor, and IPU (intelligent power unit) equipped with a built-in lithium-ion battery. Moreover, adopting an electric servo brake system that increases electrical regenerative efficiency and a fully-electric compressor that reduces engine load, the SPORT HYBRID i-DCD improves the vehicle's fuel economy by more than 35% compared to a current IMA hybrid system.

The SPORT HYBRID i-DCD automatically changes to three driving modes by engaging and disengaging the engine and motor depending on driving situations. The three driving modes are the EV Drive Mode for motor only driving, the Hybrid Drive Mode for both engine and motor driving and the Engine Drive Mode for engine only driving.

Featuring the highest fuel economy among all hybrid models in Japan, acceleration g-force more powerful than conventional models and rhythmic and linear acceleration feel, the SPORT HYBRID i-DCD realizes fun driving.

*1 Tested by Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
*2 Honda internal research, excluding plug-in hybrid models (as of July 2013)
*3 SPORT HYBRID is the collective name for Honda's newly developed advanced hybrid systems that adopt Earth Dreams Technology.
*4 Dual Clutch Transmission
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/19/h...ficial-photos/
Old 07-19-13, 04:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,581 Posts

can't believe they won't offer the hybrid in the u.s.
Old 07-19-13, 04:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

exterior wise, it looks good... interior look cheaper than before.

hybrid seems a lot nicer than before but it is still not fully integrated unit so i wonder what will the real mpg be in the end. It probably would get lesser mpg in the US than Prius c, at higher price.
Old 07-19-13, 07:34 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't look bad.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yeah, pretty sad. You would thing they'd want to compete with the Prius C which is doing pretty well.
There's always so many models that never come to the US for whatever reasons and it's quite frustrating.

Originally Posted by spwolf
exterior wise, it looks good... interior look cheaper than before.
Where are you seeing interior pics?
Old 07-19-13, 07:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind , found them.

RS, again not for us Americans.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 07-19-13 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-19-13, 07:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

still don't get why they don't just put the 1.8L base civic engine in it....great MPG and much better power = less development costs with shared powertrains.

Last edited by bagwell; 07-19-13 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-19-13, 09:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Americans would eat up a Fit Hybrid. Honda not sure what kool-aid you've been drinking THIS TIME but wow
Old 07-20-13, 08:00 AM
ne0tekk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever happened to those Hondas that hit 45+ mpg consistently back in the late 80s and early 90s? I feel like Honda's been headed in the opposite direction lately. Our Yaris gets about 40mpg consistently with 30% city and 70% highway. The Fit has always been a great concept, if only it's mpg was rated somewhat near what the Yaris is rated at.
Old 07-20-13, 08:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ne0tekk
Whatever happened to those Hondas that hit 45+ mpg consistently back in the late 80s and early 90s? I feel like Honda's been headed in the opposite direction lately. Our Yaris gets about 40mpg consistently with 30% city and 70% highway. The Fit has always been a great concept, if only it's mpg was rated somewhat near what the Yaris is rated at.
Those Honda weighed next to nothing and had much less features than Honda of today.
Old 07-20-13, 08:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
This thing would sell MUCH better than the Insight. Better MPG, more room, and not too bad of a looking car.
Old 07-20-13, 10:15 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested to see how the dual-clutch works in the hybrid. The IS300h CVT has been completely panned in every review I've read. Maybe Toyota could investigate it more if Honda has success.
Old 07-20-13, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by ne0tekk
Whatever happened to those Hondas that hit 45+ mpg consistently back in the late 80s and early 90s?
they wouldn't meet today's safety, emissions, or equipment regulations or expectations and all those things add weight, rob power, space, etc.
Old 07-20-13, 12:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Interested to see how the dual-clutch works in the hybrid. The IS300h CVT has been completely panned in every review I've read. Maybe Toyota could investigate it more if Honda has success.
its better on paper, worse in real life. Just like all those other non-HSD hybrids that get tested against Lexus and then Lexus HSD is deemed much superior.