Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Caught a test mule near the Lexus/Toyota testing grounds .What do you think it is ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Can't wait for the MKC to do battle against the NX, RDX, GLK, Q3/5, X1/3

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=lincoln+mkc
Old 07-27-13, 01:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just because you saw it near the testing grounds doesn't necesarily mean it's a Toyota/Lexus product.

IMO, it's the next Lincoln MKX. The grille pretty much gives it away.
could be. I have seen at least 5 companies in the area do summer testing but never in full test mule cover. I agree the grille threw me because it doesn't look like a Lexus grille but neither does the grille on the Japanese SUV. Not sure Pretty sure Ford and Toyota have testing grounds in the area. The Toyota facility is within 10-15 miles of my office
http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...d+20+years.htm

The article on this place shows that they have pretty impressive testing grounds. Its Toyota's largest testing ground in N. America. 12,000 acres !!

I think whats throwing me is the grille and the size of the vehicle. It was larger than an RX by a significant margin. In the end my way to and from the office is on the testing route on public roads ( small portion ) so I will keep my eyes open. This time of the year is when I see many of the newer cars on the road being Summer tested. AZ has heat like nowhere in the US so it brings us many of the manufacturers from Ford, Toyota, Lexus, Porsche, Mercedes, and even Fisker and Tesla. I have my camera ready and my eyes open. Most likely we will see a shot of this thing on some blog and we can look back and compare pics.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-27-13 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-27-13, 01:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just because you saw it near the testing grounds doesn't necesarily mean it's a Toyota/Lexus product.

IMO, it's the next Lincoln MKX. The grille pretty much gives it away.
mmmarshall YOU ARE RIGHT !! I just did a search to see if there is a Ford testing facility in AZ and there is. In fact its in the same area as the Toyota facility but closer to my office in fact. Its a much smaller facility than Toyotas. Its a "2.2 mile Test Track for Ford (formerly VM from 1985-2009) Ford bought this track in summer 2009 after selling their 5 mile track they ran since 1955 to Chrysler in 2007. Track is in Surprise Northwest of Phoenix, Arizona. One of several big test tracks near Phoenix."http://www.mapmyride.com/us/sun-city-az/ford-formerly-volvo-proving-grounds-surp-route-13073040

After this piece of info I would have to say based on its size, grille, and even location of sighting that this is in fact a Ford/Mercury product.

This also explains my Ford Fusion sightings a while back.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-27-13 at 01:47 PM.