Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Toyota Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 06:00 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will take an F150 over this any day.
Old 07-30-13, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I buy Japanese vehicles but when it comes to a pick up,I'd go F-150 over a Tundra.
Would you buy a Ranger or Colorado over a Tacoma?
Old 07-30-13, 06:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Would you buy a Ranger or Colorado over a Tacoma?

Nope,I owned a Tacoma.
Big difference when it comes to a full size truck.Ford gets the nod if I'm in the market..
Old 07-30-13, 07:06 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just love how huge and comfortable this thing is. Interior looks much better as well.
Old 07-31-13, 07:20 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ........

I'll take a Tundra over anything on this segment. I am sure domestic trucks are not as reliable and to me that is the bottom line. No one hauls big *** boats on a daily basis and the Tundra has enough ***** for the average haul so who cares who hauls the most when the most is rarely done?

Reminds me of SUV's that are built for "off road"...........how many times does the average Joe goes off road with these???
Old 07-31-13, 07:42 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
I'll take a Tundra over anything on this segment. I am sure domestic trucks are not as reliable and to me that is the bottom line. No one hauls big *** boats on a daily basis and the Tundra has enough ***** for the average haul so who cares who hauls the most when the most is rarely done?

Reminds me of SUV's that are built for "off road"...........how many times does the average Joe goes off road with these???
Yes, but many of the points you just made represent why the domestics are a better buy. They drive better and get better fuel economy...all important because "no one hauls big *** boats on a daily basis."
Old 07-31-13, 07:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yes, but many of the points you just made represent why the domestics are a better buy. They drive better and get better fuel economy...all important because "no one hauls big *** boats on a daily basis."

Also much better looking interior and exterior,more models to choose from,more engines,diesel option,smooth ride,quieter etc.
Old 07-31-13, 08:10 AM
LexFather

If Toyota says its aiming for less volume and a niche whats the issue? The Tundra looks like genius compared to a Titan or Ridgeline. Toyota had some serious ***** making the Tundra a credible alternative this time around.

I don't understand after all these years people not getting through their skulls that dominant vehicles will be dominant and not every new release is meant to suddenly take the crown away. That never happens. What does happen is the competition seems the competition getting better, their vehicles get better and we all win.

People are brand loyal and this truck is for people with a Toyota, Scion, Lexus who might need, want a truck, are happy with Toyota products and will purchase this. I seriously doubt there is much switching of brands in this very very VERY loyal segment.

Old 07-31-13, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well, most of the reviews are not very good. The Tundra since 2007 has been a disaster for Toyota.
I've tried to point that out, several times, but have been roundly criticised by some posters. The 2Gen Tundra was noticeably larger on the outside than the 1Gen model and finally big enough to compete physically with the American trucks, but, unfortunately, suffered from some substandard parts and build-quality. Except for its smooth drivetrain (a Lexus-derived I-Force 5.7L V8) and reasonably smooth ride by truck-standards, I was generally not impressed with the 2Gen Tundra that I did a full-review on.

I like the new style and I love the new interior, however, the Tundra is nowhere near as competitive as the big three trucks.
Since 2007, though, the American full-size pickups, especially the Ram and Silverado, have also increased the quality and looks of their interiors....though top-line models like the Ford King Ranch and Ram Longhorn can cost an arm and a leg.
Old 07-31-13, 09:42 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS

Far from the truth. Your old thought mentality is outdated. Domestics excel at building new trucks, as their sales are far larger than the Tundra's you'll have more problems per 100 cars which may look like Domestic trucks are worse. CR currently recommends Ram and Ford along with Tundra - Chevy has not been tested, and Titan scores far to low to be recommended.

You never see a Tundra pulling a boat, RV or trailer on I5. It's 99.9% domestic.
Old 07-31-13, 03:10 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Far from the truth. Your old thought mentality is outdated. Domestics excel at building new trucks, as their sales are far larger than the Tundra's you'll have more problems per 100 cars which may look like Domestic trucks are worse. CR currently recommends Ram and Ford along with Tundra - Chevy has not been tested, and Titan scores far to low to be recommended.

You never see a Tundra pulling a boat, RV or trailer on I5. It's 99.9% domestic.
Seeing how my own personal experience with my dad's gently used 2005 Silverado and Grandpa's 2004 Sierra completely disagrees with you, and the fact that I work at a rental car company and deal with those so called "superior" domestic trucks every single day, his thought is very much up to date and is a reality that is as old as time. Toyota's reliability very well trumps the "Domestics", and that includes their precious pickups which I'm going to venture most of you in this thread are just going by market hype and have never actually driven any of them or owned them. The fact that Toyota pickups are used WORLDWIDE in harsh conditions, not just trolling malls like 99% of all the trucks here do, just proves they're doing something right.

So if we are going to go by the tired "well they sell more so there will be more problems" BS line, then the Camry which outsells all the midsize cars should be the most unreliable piece of crap on the road. We know that isn't the case, don't we? Could it be that Toyota actually builds a better truck? HEARSAY!! THEY AREN"T MURRICANN@!!!!

And I see Tundras pulling boats and trailers all the time, and my town is also off of I5.

Last edited by 84Cressida; 07-31-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-31-13, 03:13 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427

Also much better looking interior and exterior,more models to choose from,more engines,diesel option,smooth ride,quieter etc.
The only thing they have on Toyota is an HD version, of which my dad has and it's been complete crap. The Tundra is fully competitive as far as ride, handling, quietness, and interior. 2014 just solidifies that more.
Old 07-31-13, 03:20 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

OMG...they made it MORE Ugly?
Old 07-31-13, 03:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Seeing how my own personal experience with my dad's gently used 2005 Silverado and Grandpa's 2004 Sierra completely disagrees with you
So a little bit of anecdotal evidence settles it then?

Well Toyota must be absolutely worthless based on my personal experience with my parents' 99 Toyota Sienna, my mother's 91 LS400 and my 92 LS400. It's now established and inarguable.

I've been around domestic pickups(mostly Ford) since I could walk, and I would not hesitate to buy a truck from ANY of the Big 3. I'll give Toyota credit where it's due, they build some reliable vanilla cars that fill the needs of millions of drivers on the road. However, if I need to move a 15,000 lb trailer, I am NOT going to wait for Toyota to bring something worthwhile to the market. I will purchase a Ford F-350 for the job.
Old 07-31-13, 03:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Seeing how my own personal experience with my dad's gently used 2005 Silverado and Grandpa's 2004 Sierra completely disagrees with you, and the fact that I work at a rental car company and deal with those so called "superior" domestic trucks every single day, his thought is very much up to date and is a reality that is as old as time. Toyota's reliability very well trumps the "Domestics", and that includes their precious pickups which I'm going to venture most of you in this thread are just going by market hype and have never actually driven any of them or owned them. The fact that Toyota pickups are used WORLDWIDE in harsh conditions, not just trolling malls like 99% of all the trucks here do, just proves they're doing something right.

So if we are going to go by the tired "well they sell more so there will be more problems" BS line, then the Camry which outsells all the midsize cars should be the most unreliable piece of crap on the road. We know that isn't the case, don't we? Could it be that Toyota actually builds a better truck? HEARSAY!! THEY AREN"T MURRICANN@!!!!

And I see Tundras pulling boats and trailers all the time, and my town is also off of I5.

Here's my family's armada of Fords and never a major problem with a single one.

I never bashed the Tundra for being unreliable, I have a duty to uphold the Blue Oval's reputation for a good, solid and durable truck

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Toyota Tundra