Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

July 2013 Auto Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 06:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
It shouldn't be overlooked that they are trying to clear out inventory of G37's and as they do there are fewer cars for buyers to select from. And many are simply holding out for the Q50. This is pretty standard for any car maker. It just hurts Infiniti more since their biggest fish is the G.
If they were phasing the g37 out. They are not, nissan just stated the g37 will continue to be built alongside the q50 which will add to already more confusion but at least help with sales that are usually at the rear with Lincoln anyway.

Old 08-01-13, 07:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Lexus on the fire... with NX and RC next year they should be able to go over 300k in yearly sales... CT, GS and GX should also see some equipment changes and possibly facelifts (GX, CT), so that should up the sales a little bit in addition to NX and RC that should be able to bring some 50k/year together.

Their IS targets are very modest though, they will likely go over them.
Old 08-01-13, 08:56 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Lol wut? The 3IS sales goal is 32k units a year.. So 3,600 a month will do just fine.
I don't care about Lexus' modest sales goals which are more to save face with PR than anything. The new IS should be pulling 5k units a month at least for its first year. 3 series is selling 10k units! Similarly the GS should be at around 2.5k units a month. If Lexus set these targets and worked towards them it would be a good start.
Old 08-01-13, 09:29 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I don't care about Lexus' modest sales goals which are more to save face with PR than anything. The new IS should be pulling 5k units a month at least for its first year. 3 series is selling 10k units! Similarly the GS should be at around 2.5k units a month. If Lexus set these targets and worked towards them it would be a good start.
Can't sell what you don't have. Lexus said in the conference call IS inventory is still ramping up. I was at a dealer this past Sunday, there were only 3 '14s on the lot.

3-series sells 10K a month due to the badge and outrageous leases on those 328/320i.

I'd like the GS to sell a bit higher, it deserves it, but it's still holding its head above water. They need a coupe and GS-F.
Old 08-01-13, 09:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The IS and GS will never sell near as well as they should so long as the ugly step child ES is around.

3, 5, 7
C, E, S
A4, A6, A8
IS, ES, GS, LS

The ES throws Lexus's core RWD sedans off balance. The ES may be a cash cow, but offering the same price as the IS and size as the GS causes problems for those two RWD sedans.

IMHO Lexus needs to drop it. But the ES is big and comfortable?! Your telling me the GS can't be packaged to offered supple comfort and superb ride quality?? Lexus can do anything!! E-Class has proven otherwise and sells in droves.
Old 08-01-13, 09:36 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Can't sell what you don't have. Lexus said in the conference call IS inventory is still ramping up. I was at a dealer this past Sunday, there were only 3 '14s on the lot.

3-series sells 10K a month due to the badge and outrageous leases on those 328/320i.

I'd like the GS to sell a bit higher, it deserves it, but it's still holding its head above water. They need a coupe and GS-F.
My dealer has 17 in stock. Ports are also full of IS's and holding them back. They don't want to flood the market + keep the profit margin as high as possible with little discount. A competing Lexus dealer has been selling for invoice, others including us somewhere between MSRP and Invoice
Old 08-01-13, 10:01 PM
LexFather

"Looks at signature"..

Yeah Lexus and all these companies should listen to people not buying cars.

Old 08-01-13, 10:10 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The IS and GS will never sell near as well as they should so long as the ugly step child ES is around.

3, 5, 7
C, E, S
A4, A6, A8
IS, ES, GS, LS

The ES throws Lexus's core RWD sedans off balance. The ES may be a cash cow, but offering the same price as the IS and size as the GS causes problems for those two RWD sedans.

IMHO Lexus needs to drop it. But the ES is big and comfortable?! Your telling me the GS can't be packaged to offered supple comfort and superb ride quality?? Lexus can do anything!! E-Class has proven otherwise and sells in droves.
Maybe BMW, Mercedes and Audi should add an ugly step child into their lineup. Audi could bring the VW Passat over to Audi, BMW could bring over a MINI to their lineup. Not sure what Mercedes could bring over to it's lineup to add an ugly step child. When Daimler owned Chrysler they easily could have brought over a Chrysler model to the Mercedes side...yikes...
Old 08-01-13, 10:14 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Looks at signature"..

Yeah Lexus and all these companies should listen to people not buying cars.
Lol I'm a young Engineer and will definitely be in the market for a new IS coupe in a year or two, have an IS300 now. I'm their prime target but I'm not giving them fashion advice (that's for another thread). Instead I'm saying if they keep their targets and expectations low, they won't work as hard to meet them. "Hey we met our 30k/year sales target, great!"

Meanwhile BMW is moving 100k 3ers and 50k 5ers per year. But rest assured I personally won't be caught dead in either of those cars.

And yes I dislike the ES. It's Lexus being lazy and the ES is a huge threat to Lexus long term. They have already become too reliant on it and the RX (which I quite like) to drive sales numbers.

But it's good to hear inventory is partly to blame. The new IS is a dynamite product and sales should reflect it if Lexus markets it properly and doesn't ignore it to focus on the Avalon clone.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-01-13 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 10:59 PM
Hoovey689

And yes I dislike the ES. It's Lexus being lazy and the ES is a huge threat to Lexus long term. They have already become too reliant on it and the RX (which I quite like) to drive sales numbers.
Finally
Old 08-02-13, 07:47 AM
LexFather

Lol I'm a young Engineer and will definitely be in the market for a new IS coupe in a year or two, have an IS300 now. I'm their prime target but I'm not giving them fashion advice (that's for another thread). Instead I'm saying if they keep their targets and expectations low, they won't work as hard to meet them. "Hey we met our 30k/year sales target, great!"

Meanwhile BMW is moving 100k 3ers and 50k 5ers per year. But rest assured I personally won't be caught dead in either of those cars.

But it's good to hear inventory is partly to blame. The new IS is a dynamite product and sales should reflect it if Lexus markets it properly and doesn't ignore it to focus on the Avalon clone.
I honestly don't know how else to say this for people to understand. Different products have different goals. The ES is the volume sedan, like the G37/Q50 is a volume sedan like a 3 series is. The IS is aimed at a smaller sportier niche and since they have the ES the total is more than most.

The ES is still a very good sedan and clearly the market has decided they love it. The GS is still selling pretty damn good with an ES there. For comparisons sake look at how poorly the M or new rlx is doing.

Lexus sales are up, sedan sales are up, what is the problem? It's not like they are releasing new sedans and sales are flat or down.

It's like dumbass lists putting niche or order only cars as "poor selling". They are not meant to sell well.

Old 08-02-13, 07:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

I honestly don't know how else to say this for people to understand. Different products have different goals. The ES is the volume sedan, like the G37/Q50 is a volume sedan like a 3 series is. The IS is aimed at a smaller sportier niche and since they have the ES the total is more than most.
Haters gonna hate.
Old 08-02-13, 10:46 AM
Hoovey689

The ES is still a very good sedan and clearly the market has decided they love it. The GS is still selling pretty damn good with an ES there. For comparisons sake look at how poorly the M or new rlx is doing.

Lexus sales are up, sedan sales are up, what is the problem? It's not like they are releasing new sedans and sales are flat or down.

It's like dumbass lists putting niche or order only cars as "poor selling". They are not meant to sell well.
Competent sedan sure. Excels? no, even a $25K Impala is said to be more sedate than the ES now. Toyota forces it onto the public and partly because it's easy to make - spun off Avalon bones. If they wanted to impress me they'd drop the damn thing, make the GS an inch or two bigger and give it an adaptable suspension (ie comfort setting) for those customers used to the ES ride.

If the ES wansn't such a victim of cost cutting and actually offered quality materials worthy of a Luxury title like the 2006 ES330 I wouldn't have much to complain about, but as it stands, people aren't standing up but rather rolling over and letting the bean counters strip everything the ES ever stood for save for a L and ES badge now. There's two methods of madness at Lexus and it's tearing everything apart. Either this or that, you can't have both, and we see this throughout the company and product, even down to packaging.
Old 08-02-13, 10:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Competent sedan sure. Excels? no, even a $25K Impala is said to be more sedate than the ES now. Toyota forces it onto the public and partly because it's easy to make - spun off Avalon bones. If they wanted to impress me they'd drop the damn thing, make the GS an inch or two bigger and give it an adaptable suspension (ie comfort setting) for those customers used to the ES ride.

If the ES wansn't such a victim of cost cutting and actually offered quality materials worthy of a Luxury title like the 2006 ES330 I wouldn't have much to complain about, but as it stands, people aren't standing up but rather rolling over and letting the bean counters strip everything the ES ever stood for save for a L and ES badge now. There's two methods of madness at Lexus and it's tearing everything apart. Either this or that, you can't have both, and we see this throughout the company and product, even down to packaging.
The ES interior is not *that* bad, but yes it could stand to use a nice improvement. Which I am confident we will see when the ES is refreshed in a few years.
Old 08-02-13, 10:58 AM
LexFather

We do disagree on opinions of the ES. Its not that bad, I find it superior to the last gen and the cheap bits in the ES are no different than cheap bits in other cars or more expensive cars. It never came across as a big cost cutting exercise, it felt like a proper Lexus more than ever.

It is an entry level car, it simply won't be built like a GS. The IS has the same cost cutting as does every car in that class.

What is important is the ES is a hit, the ES 300h is a huge hit and consumers feel its not as bad as painted here. It remains the class leader.

Quick Reply: July 2013 Auto Sales Thread