Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX, not recommended by Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 02:43 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As many of you know I was a big fan of the previous generation RL with SH-AWD. I have to say CR is pretty much saying what I've been saying about the RL in as much as they are nice cars but are priced a minumum of $10K higher than it should be. Being priced wrong didn't make the last gen RL a bad car, in fact is was very nice, what it did do is make it a poor seller.

I've only sat in the new RLX and I already knew it was priced too high, but I'm sadden to read that other things like steering response and handling are also being reported out as not great.
Old 08-04-13, 02:52 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Either way, CR has no credibility

It's sad that the RLX was pooped on, but it's equally sad they recommended the impala as an alternative.
I can't think of a more credible source on cars than CR. Yes, unlike everybody else they actually buy the cars they review to avoid undue influence by press loaners and other manufacturer "perks". I don't always agree with their findings, but they're definitely consistent and don't suddenly change their testing standards such that a preferred model can still eek out a win. *cough*3series*cough* ghey auto rags (MT/RT/C&D)
Old 08-04-13, 05:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Another nail in the coffin, as if it needed it. Acura, get a clue.
Old 08-04-13, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Either way, CR has no credibility
I don't always agree with their reviews....for instance, I have some disagreements with the way they have evaluated some of the new Subarus and the Buick Verano. But, overall, I have enormous respect for them.....and most of their reviews are spot-on. I can't think of a better or less-biased source. Their magazine also accepts no money or advertising from any auto company....its operating expenses all come from buyers/subscribers.

It's sad that the RLX was pooped on, but it's equally sad they recommended the impala as an alternative.

The new Impala EARNED that position. If you don't believe CR, go test-drive one for yourself and you'll find out why.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-13 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-04-13, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
As many of you know I was a big fan of the previous generation RL with SH-AWD. I have to say CR is pretty much saying what I've been saying about the RL in as much as they are nice cars but are priced a minumum of $10K higher than it should be. Being priced wrong didn't make the last gen RL a bad car, in fact is was very nice, what it did do is make it a poor seller.
Like TripleL, I was also a fan of the old 2Gen RL. Yes, it had Accord-styling (at least on the outside), and yes, it was too small to be a true luxury flagship. But it had tank-like build-solidness (even compared to other Acuras), the precision-assembly of a Swiss Watch, and all the controls on it felt and worked with fluid-smoothness. As Triple-L points out, it also included the excellent SH-AWD system. I agree that the price was rather high for its size, but that money bought quality....and big discounts were usually available since it sold poorly. So, despite a base 50K price tag, it often went out the door in the low 40s. (I myself was offered a big discount on the one I reviewed).

I've only sat in the new RLX and I already knew it was priced too high, but I'm sadden to read that other things like steering response and handling are also being reported out as not great.

Same here. I looked and sat in one at the D.C. Auto Show, but, even without a test-drive (and from just inspecting it and sitting in it), it was plain that cost-cutting took a toll on its design, especially compared to its superb predecessor. And, even in the places there they DID spend money on its design (like in the new P-AWS 4-wheel steering system), according to Consumer Reports, that system doesn't noticeably improve road-manners like the old SH-AWD system did. Unfortunately, I have to agree that, in several ways, this new model is indeed a flop.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-13 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 04:43 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It was stupid to eliminate the all wheel drive system. They cut costs and raised the price on what was a very slow selling model. TL sales will continue to far outpace sales of the RL/RLX.

The most interesting thing about this car, to me, is the full-LED headlights. Keep in mind Acura's RLX has about twice as many reflectors as Audi's A8. Here's what Consumer Reports say about them, which is in line with my experience with LEDs.

Headlights: Low- and high-beam light is supplied by a row of small LEDs and reflectors in place of traditional bulbs. Acura calls them "jewel eye" LEDs. Despite the company's claims, these don't revolutionize headlight performance. On the plus side, the light is super white with excellent levels of intensity. While the headlights illuminate an impressively wide swath, low beams only shine an average forward distance. High-beam distance is more impressive.

They are great for lighting on the exterior of the car. My LED tail and parking lights are much brighter than the stock ones. The parking lights give off a bright white light rather than the stock yellowish one LEDs have good intensity and good width but they need to be very bright (on high beams) to really cover a long distance. Proper Xenon high intensity discharge lights, for now, still offer the highest headlight performance.

Maybe they should have used the money from all the two page ads touting the full LED headlamps and used it towards all wheel drive systems in the cars.

Last edited by Chocolate; 08-05-13 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 08:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

FWIW CR's top 5 Midsized Luxury Sedans listed in order are:

A6 (tie)
M37
MB E350
GS350
535i

The RLX is rated #8
Old 08-05-13, 09:19 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As good as the lights are on the Acura, nice lighting will not sell a car. Poor Acura is fading into obscurity.

And in usual Acura fashion, they do a massive PR blitz and hope this is why no one is buying their cars.
Old 08-06-13, 05:07 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
As good as the lights are on the Acura, nice lighting will not sell a car.
Have you heard of Audi? Numb steering and FWD can't be their selling points.
Old 08-06-13, 08:52 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Honda in general offers what they think you should be driving rather than what you necessarily want. You are expected to take your medicine and like it because they know better than you. That may well be true, but it approaches arrogance in the marketplace. I had to learn the hard way that you don't "educate" your customer beyond a certain point - you should tell them what you THINK they need, but you sell them what they want.

Honda does a great job, at least at the lower end of their range, packaging features into base, LX and EX lines, without any real factory options. The "we know best, so take your medicine" strategy works with Civics and Accords, but when they engineer an Acura, they are dealing with a more knowledgeable target demo, and they need to go head to head with the competition. That "we know best" philosophy has gone awry, producing a car that practically no one wants.
Old 08-06-13, 09:03 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally rather have an Avalon over an RLX. Really, I'd probably rather have a new Accord V6, too.

The new MDX is pretty underwhelming as well...seeing a few of them around Atlanta, and in the darker colors it doesn't look so bad, but it looks like they put in half effort overall. I am glad that others, like Cadillac, Infiniti, Audi and Hyundai continue to trample Acura, but it doesn't seem to be making them wake up and smell the coffee any faster.
Old 08-06-13, 09:49 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
FWIW CR's top 5 Midsized Luxury Sedans listed in order are:

A6 (tie)
M37
MB E350
GS350
535i

The RLX is rated #8

Seems like CR isn't infallible either. Their top pick, the M37, is easily the worst seller on this list.
Old 08-06-13, 09:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Seems like CR isn't infallible either. Their top pick, the M37, is easily the worst seller on this list.
I don't think the list is based on sales. It's based on their test drive results.
Old 08-06-13, 10:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't think the list is based on sales. It's based on their test drive results.
Yes siree,Bob!
Old 08-06-13, 10:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I can't think of a more credible source on cars than CR. Yes, unlike everybody else they actually buy the cars they review to avoid undue influence by press loaners and other manufacturer "perks". I don't always agree with their findings, but they're definitely consistent and don't suddenly change their testing standards such that a preferred model can still eek out a win. *cough*3series*cough* ghey auto rags (MT/RT/C&D)
I too have a lot of respect for Consumer Reports, even if I disagree with some of their road test reports. I also don't respect the major auto rags for operating in the fashion that they do, because they're partly there for entertainment value. That being said, I've been really annoyed with MotorTrend. They seem to say (videos)/write things just for shock value at times.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX, not recommended by Consumer Reports