Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MINI Coupe & Roadster Axed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 04:53 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MINI Coupe & Roadster Axed?

MINI has some big changes scheduled for its lineup, and the current Coupe and Roadster arent a part of the picture.

The British automaker plans on building 18 models off its two new architectures within the next five years, with a new sports car to succeed the current Coupe and Roadster models. Though the vehicle will share MINIs new front-wheel-drive architecture, the new sports car will look entirely different than whats currently offered in the Coupe and Roadster.

The planned model will be offered in both hard- and soft-top variants in Cooper S and John Cooper Works (JCW) form when its introduced in late 2015 or early 2016. Both the Coupe and Roadster have been struggling in the sales department, not even moving 15,000 units a year. Recently, MINI unveiled its Vision concept which hints at what we can expect in its new sports car, which will undoubtedly borrow some of the carbon-fiber technology BMW has invested in its new i3 electric car.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ster-axed.html
Old 08-05-13, 05:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a case of Pay More Get Less.

The coupe/roadster is a great experiment on design. But if it's priced significantly higher for nothing more (in fact, actually a lot less; such as less seats and cargo room), then no one will buy it unless if it's a desired toy. A $30k toy...
Old 11-29-14, 10:57 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mini to Stop Production of the Coupe and Roadster Next Year

Various reports have announced it many months ago but only now a Mini official has confirmed that the Coupe and Roadster will be discontinued.

Mini USA product boss Patrick McKenna announced the demise of the two related models which have failed to convince buyers since their launch three year ago. The Coupe and the Roadster will actually go out of production next year. Theyve run their life cycle, McKenna told AutoGuide at the LA Auto Show last week.

There is a very thin line between the Mini Hatch and the Coupe, as is between the Convertible and the Roadster. They are very similar cars, with the Coupe and Roadsters only distinguishing feature being their design, but not necessarily in a good way just look at the Coupes reverse-baseball cap roof.

Besides the design, the Coupe and Roadster are less practical than Minis established models and more expensive, which is not exactly a recipe for success. McKenna said the discontinuation of the two models is part of a larger superhero strategy that Mini USA is enacting.

The plan is to focus on higher volume models rather than releasing niche offerings, with the new Mini Hardtop 4-door (called the 5-door in Europe) being an example of models to come.

As for the ideas embodied by the Coupe and Roadster, they may be utilized in a new model previewed by the Superleggera Roadster concept, which is reportedly considered for production.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/min...coupe-and.html
Old 11-29-14, 04:24 PM
darkgt23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good these things looked weird
Old 11-29-14, 04:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by darkgt23
good these things looked weird
+1, I don't like them at all.
Old 11-29-14, 04:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Good ridence. Keep true to the core model ie the Hardtop. Enough of the same car, different look, more price.
Old 11-29-14, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This is a case of Pay More Get Less.

The coupe/roadster is a great experiment on design. But if it's priced significantly higher for nothing more (in fact, actually a lot less; such as less seats and cargo room), then no one will buy it unless if it's a desired toy. A $30k toy...
There's a reason why roadsters and convertibles cost more. Because of the drop-top mechanisms (whether power or manual), extra roll-over protection, and extra unibody/frame-bracing required to counteract body-flex, they generally cost more to produce than some other body styles.
Old 11-30-14, 04:29 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's a reason why roadsters and convertibles cost more. Because of the drop-top mechanisms (whether power or manual), extra roll-over protection, and extra unibody/frame-bracing required to counteract body-flex, they generally cost more to produce than some other body styles.
All of those things apply even more so to the convertible--which is cheaper than the roadster and NOT being discontinued. It's larger overall, and has a substantially larger bathtub. It should be easier to make a rigid roadster than it is with the convertible, considering there's a much higher sheetmetal/structure-to-roof opening ratio. And yet the roadster STILL costs more, while delivering less.

I agree with Hoovey. Good riddance.
Old 11-30-14, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
All of those things apply even more so to the convertible--which is cheaper than the roadster and NOT being discontinued. It's larger overall, and has a substantially larger bathtub. It should be easier to make a rigid roadster than it is with the convertible, considering there's a much higher sheetmetal/structure-to-roof opening ratio. And yet the roadster STILL costs more, while delivering less.

I agree with Hoovey. Good riddance.
I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with Hoovey. A true roadster, BTW, is a convertible, not a coupe. It can me made or converted into a coupe by a detachable or folding hardtop top. But my point was that any car that does not have a rigid roof as and integral part of the body/frame usually costs more to produce.....even hardtop cars with a sunroof. But whether you actually get "more" or "less" for the money, of course, is in the eye of the beholder.

Look at the Lotus Elise, for instance...a tiny tot of a roadster with very low equipment levels, yet with a 50K price tag. There is (arguably) a case of paying more for less.

(BTW, not to get too far off topic, but if you wanted to see something REALLY funny, you should have watched me, at 6' 2" and and a rather portly 280 lbs, and with my baseball cap on top of that, trying to shoehorn myself in and out of the yellow Elise that I reviewed back in 2007. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures or a video of it. The salesman told me to give up, that it was impossible (and, of course, it was his job to actually SELL the car). It was difficult, to say the least, but I proved him wrong....and was able to actually to briefly drive it with the clutch pedal and the LOW, nonadjustable steering column). But, needless to say, I don't want to go through that experience again.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-14 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-12-15, 10:45 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mini Coup and Roadster Officially Axed, No Replacements Announced

Weve been hearing about Minis plans to discontinue the Coup and Roadster for a couple of years now, but its finally official. Mini has announced that production of the two models is about to come to an end at its Oxford plant in the United Kingdom.

Mini said it will stop production of the two models simultaneously, but didnt provide a timeframe. However, since the release also says the automaker wants to free up capacity at the plant in order to produce more 3-door and 5-door Hatches, its probably going to happen rather soon.

Based on the previous-generation Mini Hatch, the Coup and Roadster were aimed at more individual buyers, but for some reason the two models didnt catch on. If I were to speculate, I would say the two models had too many shortcomings and too few advantages compared to the Hatch and the Convertible.

For example, many questioned the Coups styling and lack of practicality, with the latter aspect also being a problem of the Roadster. Although both offered slightly superior driving characteristics to Minis core models, it was not enough to justify the lack of practicality and similar pricing. In the end, Mini admitted defeat, which is probably the wisest thing it could have done.

Lets just hope the bosses in Munich will give the green light to the Mini Superleggera concept, it would make a great flagship model for the brand.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/min...ally-axed.html
Old 02-12-15, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

many questioned the Coup’s styling and lack of practicality, with the latter aspect also being a problem of the Roadster.
So who buys a coupe or roadster for practicality? If that's what one wants, get a Subaru Forester.
Old 02-12-15, 11:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So who buys a coupe or roadster for practicality? If that's what one wants, get a Subaru Forester.
Well--it's not a Miata. The Mini Hardtop and Mini Convertible fill this niche that Mini itself created. The coupe and roadster--I never understood these versions. What do you get from these versions over the Hardtop/Convertible, other than even less room than the other versions? I'll sacrifice practicality to get a true roadster, but why bother for these?