Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

a sane point of view on electric cars vs. fossil fuels...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 09:14 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

T. Boone Pickens is an old-school Texas wildcatter who has made a number of fortunes - and probably lost a couple along the way. That's the nature of his profession. He, along with the late Eddie Chiles (former Chairman of his oilfield service company, The Western Company of North America . . . "if you don't have an oil well, get one!") were among my heroes for many years. Eddie (as he wanted to be called) was an old client, and I met Mr. Pickens at several industry conferences over the years. If ever anyone represented the entrepreneurial spirit of this nation, these gentlemen would have had to share the trophy.

Both were cut from the same cloth - what you saw was what you got. Deeply committed to education and philanthropy, these men did more with their fortunes than we will ever know - by investing in people. Eddie Chiles used to have a syndicated radio program he'd sign on with "I'm Eddie Chiles, and I'm mad as hell!" Yeah, like Pickens, he was a Conservative - long before it was popularized by national radio talk-show hosts. Also like Pickens, what he offered was common sense without the sugar coating. WYSIWYG.
Old 08-09-13, 11:37 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I bet 99% of theoretical/proposed plug in vehicle owners charge could exclusivley at home and have zero issues doing so.

Something like 90% of commutes are under 40 miles a day.
I most-likely would fit in that model. I have a very nice commute (<10 miles each way daily).

But, the problem I have with electric cars isn't my drive to/from work...it's the other stuff I do with my car.

It's great to say that 90% of the time, I don't travel more than 40 miles. But, the other side of that equation says that I DO travel MORE than 40 miles 10% of the time.

Then what do I do?

The problem with pure-electric cars, at least for me, is that it would have to be my SECOND car.

And, since I can't afford to buy, insure, store, and maintain TWO cars...I only own one.

And, if I'm going to only own one car, I'm going to buy the one that meets 100% of my driving needs...not the one that only meets 90% of them.
Old 08-09-13, 12:27 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
It's great to say that 90% of the time, I don't travel more than 40 miles. But, the other side of that equation says that I DO travel MORE than 40 miles 10% of the time.

Then what do I do?
Chevy Volt has a 35-38 mile electric range and 300 mile total range for those "10% of the time" drives.

...hell interstate driving is so freaking boring, I just fly most of the time - zero long distance driving for me.

Old 08-09-13, 12:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Chevy Volt has a 35-38 mile electric range and 300 mile total range for those "10% of the time" drives.
that must be why it has sold so well.

...hell interstate driving is so freaking boring, I just fly most of the time - zero long distance driving for me.
good for you, but for most it makes little sense financially. flying for <500 mi. (esp. for more than 1 person on a trip) is in general more expensive, doesn't save time (e.g. it's a 6 hour drive for me to atlanta, extremely boring, but i won't save any time flying), plus you may need to rent a car at the other end and you're limited to one carry one unless you pay yet more )

an electric car today is acceptable if you're rich and have other vehicles, or you need it ONLY in a tiny radius, and take other transportation otherwise. again, not saying they won't get better - they will!
Old 08-09-13, 02:24 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

So, in order to save the Earth, I have to drive....a Chevy?!?!

I guess the Earth can just suck it, then. I'll stick with my V-8 powered Lexus convertible!