Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Amusing - 'Knockoff' Wheelmaker Rota Warns Of Knockoff Rota Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 05:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Amusing - 'Knockoff' Wheelmaker Rota Warns Of Knockoff Rota Wheels

very funny

http://jalopnik.com/knockoff-wheelma...ium=socialflow

'Knockoff' Wheelmaker Rota Warns Of Knockoff Rota Wheels

Rota Wheels do not enjoy the best reputation among tuners. While they do have some defenders, there's one thing about the wheels that's universally recognized: Rota designs are imitations. Now, in kind of a hilarious twist, it looks like they're battling copycats of their own.

The Filipino company mimics the style of specific premium wheels from outfits like Ray's Engineering and Mugen, executes the design using less expensive materials and methods, then sells them to those who can't or won't spend the money on the "real thing." They're not exactly known for quality, though — whenever I see Rota mentioned in a thread on a car forum, I usually scroll down to see posted pictures of Rotas shorn off at the spoke.1

That in mind, I couldn't help but see some irony when Rota issued the following statement to automotive news sites in and around the Philippines, where the problem seems to persist. It made its rounds on forums like VWVortex as well, where one user brought it to our attention:

The counterfeit [ROTA] wheels have recently surfaced through some wheel dealers in Malaysia. They are manufactured in China. The most distinct feature of the 'copies' is that they are embossed with a ROTA marking on the face of the wheel, whereas the genuine ROTA [wheel] has none. They also come with a center cap bearing the 'ROTA Wheels' logo. They are packaged in plain brown boxes. Original ROTA wheels come with boxes that feature ROTA markings and 3D wheel drawings.

"ROTA Wheels undergo rigid testing using JWL/JWL-T standards to assure you that you are purchasing quality wheels. We cannot guarantee the safety of the copies so please be careful with your wheel purchases," said Michael Rojas, president of PAWI.

ROTA and its logo is a registered trademark of Philippine Aluminum Wheels, Inc.

Genuine ROTA Wheels are made proudly in the Philippines.
In other words, copycat wheelmaker Rota is worried about copycats. It's hard to not find that at least a little amusing.

Perhaps Rota has finally risen to the premium-spec brand level they tried to emulate for so long. They finally get to experience what they built their business on — remaking someone else's ideas. Well, you either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain, right? I just hope nobody dies driving around on any of these twice-over-counterfeit rims.

Since it seems the alleged counterfeiters couldn't be bothered to cross-check what sticker they were slapping on their knockoffs, unwittingly knocking off a knockoff, they probably didn't spend a whole lot of time doing R&D for structural integrity.

I feel like these same guys might put a Faux-rrari bodykit on a Fiero, leave the Pontiac badges on the hood, and try to sell it to me as a classic Italian import.

Should Rota be rip roaring mad that someone's stealing their idea, and logo, or is this a case of a copycat’s comeuppance?

Old 08-14-13, 06:24 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With the huge profits to be made in the knockoff business, there needs to be some kind of industry or government safety oversight on these products. Where once DOT certification guaranteed a certain standard, I was shocked to discover it only applies to the dimensions of the wheel, and not its performance.
There are no government standards or regulations that require a wheel manufacturer or importer to meet in order to sell a wheel in the US. There are several marking and dimensional requirements that are required by the DOT (Dept. Of Transportation), but no performance or testing requirements.

The standards for performance and testing are voluntary on the part of the manufacturer or importer. There are several specifications that are considered recommended practice, available from such organizations as SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), TUV (the German regulatory agency), ISO (International Standards Organization), and JWL (Japan Light Alloy Wheel Testing Council Rules). The SAE J2530 Aftermarket Wheel Performance Requirements and Test Procedures is a new standard developed for the aftermarket wheel industry to assure that the wheels produced for use on passenger cars and light trucks are safe and reliable.

- more at http://www.twe-inc.com/tech.php?tid=3
It seems that a bit of false economy here could be deadly.
Old 08-14-13, 09:36 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol getting a taste of their own medicine.
Old 08-15-13, 12:30 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 08-15-13, 10:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol. some people they just don't know how to turn the table and see what they are doing first before they cry
Old 08-15-13, 10:20 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 435 Likes on 358 Posts
Smile

That's pretty funny. I would buy knockoff replica of the Rota wheels instead of the actual Rota. The knockoff might be better quality.
Old 08-15-13, 10:29 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

this is awesome. hahahaha
Old 08-15-13, 10:34 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I love it!
Attached Thumbnails Amusing - 'Knockoff' Wheelmaker Rota Warns Of Knockoff Rota Wheels-this-20is-20awesome.jpg  
Old 08-15-13, 12:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

what goes around comes around.