Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW M4 coupe concept leaked!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 07:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Best styled //M3 imo!

Old 08-17-13, 08:58 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Best styled //M3 imo!

I love it...just love the bulkiness Something to consider when I return my 5 series....
Old 08-21-13, 05:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/21/b...-transmission/

BMW M4 to debut in Detroit, lose manual transmission

BMW took the wraps off its M4 Concept at Pebble Beach last weekend, and many speculated that the highly anticipated production version of the sleek new two-door sports coupe would debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show later this year. But a well-placed source tells Autoblog that the E92 M3's successor won't arrive in Southern California this November. Instead, the German automaker will wait until the Detroit Auto Show in January for its first official reveal.

An all-new 3.0-liter inline-six with twin turbochargers is expected under the hood, and it should provide about the same horsepower as the current 4.0-liter V8 (rated at 414 horsepower), but with much more torque that arrives lower on the tachometer. The lightweight engine is said to have an impressively high redline, which is unusual for a turbocharged engine.

Unfortunately, Save the Manuals members aren't going to like this next bit of news. After four generations of three-pedal M3 models, our source says the upcoming F82 M4 will arrive with a dual-clutch transmission (DCT) as standard equipment – with no manual option – just like the latest iteration of the track-ready Porsche GT3 (few have complained about the automaker's PDK after driving the latest sports car from Stuttgart). In exchange for some moans, groans and gripes from enthusiasts, BMW's DCT mounted aft of the M4's inline-six will provide quicker acceleration and improved fuel economy.
Old 08-21-13, 08:58 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

^^ I was just about to post this from here:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-b...nsmission.html

If it's true then BMW has just lost my interest in their M4 series. The dual-clutch transmission they will offer does sound very good and that's worth some applause... but I'd still only buy this kind of car in a traditional manual. It's a shame because it seems like they're really refining the their large M coupe series but the lack of a stick kills it for me.

Porsche has been guilty of just the same although to be fair I think the base 911's still have manuals and non-M BMW's will still offer them for the time being.

I hope the 1-Series/2-Series M (whatever they want to call it now) retains a 6-speed or 7-speed manual. It's closer to what an M3 used to be anyway.
Old 08-21-13, 10:42 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks awesome
Old 08-21-13, 11:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Finally a picture I approve the M4 in. Till this point that fender vent has bothered me. Glad to see the body lines better now
Old 08-21-13, 11:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by KahnBB6

If it's true then BMW has just lost my interest in their M4 series. The dual-clutch transmission they will offer does sound very good and that's worth some applause... but I'd still only buy this kind of car in a traditional manual. It's a shame because it seems like they're really refining the their large M coupe series but the lack of a stick kills it for me.

Porsche has been guilty of just the same although to be fair I think the base 911's still have manuals and non-M BMW's will still offer them for the time being.

I hope the 1-Series/2-Series M (whatever they want to call it now) retains a 6-speed or 7-speed manual. It's closer to what an M3 used to be anyway.
i dislike it as much as you do but i also accept the fact that manual is simply going away, just matter of time
Old 08-22-13, 02:45 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such a beauty!! But too bad no manual is being offered.
Old 08-22-13, 05:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

absolutely amazing looking in that pic.
Old 08-22-13, 06:17 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
absolutely amazing looking in that pic.
Yep, again BMW gets it totally right.
Old 08-22-13, 08:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6

yep, this is sad--- M used to be all about manual transmissions--- times have changed....but another reason I love the Z06/ZR1 --> manual transmission ONLY
Old 08-22-13, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep, this is sad--- M used to be all about manual transmissions--- times have changed....but another reason I love the Z06/ZR1 --> manual transmission ONLY
Someday I'm sure even the Z06/ZR1 will make the Dual Clutch switch. For now we get to enjoy the row your own
Old 08-22-13, 10:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

outside of the sad-no-manual thing, i am very eager to find out about their engine setup. the article mentions the the tt i6 (booo) will have an impressively high rev redline. those two haven't gone together well in the past, if it still maintains 8000+ rpm redline, that's going to be very interesting
Old 08-22-13, 10:41 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

For a trackday car I can see why dual-clutch manuals are the future. I've driven a couple and color me impressed.

However, outside of track days I could care less about having the fastest shifting transmission technology. It's just more engaging day-to-day and using dual-clutch boxes to their limit on the streets is sure to get your license revoked. Yeah, they're going away slowly but surely but for now at least there are some new performance cars that still offer them.

At least the BMW 335i still has a 6-speed manual as do the Cayman, Boxster and all 911's that aren't Turbos or GT3's. And Vettes, etc. Current CTS-V 6-speed and ATS 6-speed. Boo Lexus on the IS250/350/RC though.

It is my hope that the 2-Series with a turbocharged I-6 continues to offer one. It's as big as the old E36 anyway.
Old 08-22-13, 11:13 AM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I was so tempted to switch over BMW with the X5 4.8xi, but it wasn't enough for me to switch to BMW. This is the car that will get me to jump on board.

When it hits showroom floors I will trade the Lexus in and order one in white with red leather assuming it drives as good as it looks.