Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW security flaw allows the car to be stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 05:34 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Any cases with this happening with Lexus's?

I only ask since we have problems tuning the ECU on the newer models. Wonder if that is why it is "seemingly" uncrackable?
It's funny how things work out. Toyota, and all car manufacturers, have a vested interest to keep people from cracking their engine management code so they use higher security for that. There is probably a lot of proprietary code in that software. All changes to the ECU can only be done with Toyota signed code. Keys on the other hand can be handled by the dealers, so they use a weaker key, but a less private one too. Besides, ECU changes aren't done OTA, but keyless access is.
Old 08-19-13, 05:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
It's funny how things work out. Toyota, and all car manufacturers, have a vested interest to keep people from cracking their engine management code so they use higher security for that. There is probably a lot of proprietary code in that software. All changes to the ECU can only be done with Toyota signed code. Keys on the other hand can be handled by the dealers, so they use a weaker key, but a less private one too. Besides, ECU changes aren't done OTA, but keyless access is.
cool thanks for the info
Old 08-19-13, 06:57 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, but wait, these cars have a GPS tracker right ??

Seems like another media scare report to me.
Old 08-19-13, 10:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3

Seems like another media scare report to me.

This . . .

I know on a GM car with onstar that is one of the selling points. Car gets stolen, Onstar works with law enforcement and can find your car with a couple key strokes, down to within about 3 feet. Provided the thief is dumb and doesn't rip off the antenna.

As for the previous poster talking about it being impossible to crack the engine management code, that's not true of all manufacturers. GM IMO went out of their way to make the ECU on all their V8 engines easy to play with and tune. Doesn't matter if its a truck, van, Corvette, you can tinker to your heart's content.
Old 08-19-13, 11:44 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joey-E
I got some old technology for thieves

*For places where private gun ownership is allowed by law that is*
Old 08-20-13, 12:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
i doubt they are cracking any keys... they probably found some security hole they are using to gain access.
Old 08-20-13, 04:58 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
As for the previous poster talking about it being impossible to crack the engine management code, that's not true of all manufacturers. GM IMO went out of their way to make the ECU on all their V8 engines easy to play with and tune. Doesn't matter if its a truck, van, Corvette, you can tinker to your heart's content.
Some car manufacturers use simple engine management, some use more complicated algorithms that they consider to be propriatery and worthy of protection. Enough said about GM.

Originally Posted by spwolf
i doubt they are cracking any keys... they probably found some security hole they are using to gain access.
Most security holes in encrypted systems depend on some level of cracking the encryption key unless the coder left a back door to bypass the protection all together. Even your simple WEP hacks to get you access to the neighbour's wifi (free **** downloads ) relies on cracking the key by capturing a number of packets with the said key and brute forcing it.
Old 08-20-13, 06:02 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
If the car has GPS, it's pretty easy to either jam it or disable it, since the thieves seems to be pretty prepared (there are often at least 3 of them at a time).

Originally Posted by spwolf
That's likely the case. Below is a follow up story with BMW response at the end -- they really tried to say this problem is not specific to BMW. They are aware of this problem around September 2011, and any BMW manufactured after that you can't exploit the security flaw. Seems to me that although all cars can be cracked, BMW was easily cracked/exploited before what ever update they did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...eft-technology
Old 08-20-13, 06:44 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I just saw this, Biometrics --

Yay or Nay ?
Old 08-20-13, 07:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Biometric. Nice, but then you're gonna have thieves pulling off that Charlie's Angel's crap lol