Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Enform Needs a Major Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 06:50 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Lexus Enform Needs a Major Upgrade

Not to rant, but does anyone else feel that Lexus Enform is really lacking. I have older model so I don't have the new features, but having had (parents) while growing up with a Mercedes that had Teleaid (only for 1 year, parents never renewed it). I do miss the concierge function. Of being able to get a destination to a restaurant and have the person on the line make a reservation. Just of curiosity I went to Teleaid and it has now been replaced by Mbrace. Look at the features and seems to cost just a bit more then our Enform subscription. Hope Lexus can add features to future model.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/mbrace?src=4376

ps. The best button on our Merc was the Roadside assistance button. lol
Old 08-30-13, 07:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
Not to rant, but does anyone else feel that Lexus Enform is really lacking. I have older model so I don't have the new features, but having had (parents) while growing up with a Mercedes that had Teleaid (only for 1 year, parents never renewed it). I do miss the concierge function. Of being able to get a destination to a restaurant and have the person on the line make a reservation. Just of curiosity I went to Teleaid and it has now been replaced by Mbrace. Look at the features and seems to cost just a bit more then our Enform subscription. Hope Lexus can add features to future model.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/mbrace?src=4376

ps. The best button on our Merc was the Roadside assistance button. lol
Destination Assist is Lexus concierge service. Along with eDestination (sending destinations to the car via a device) is part of the available Enform service. At least it was on my 2010.
Old 08-30-13, 08:26 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OP, right, as LexBob says, current Lexus models have nearly every capability that is available in a MBZ related to telematics. I have a 2013 RX450h as well as a less-than-1-month-old 2014 MBZ SLK -- both have the latest telematics capabilities from both mfgrs available today. The biggest initial gripe I have with my MBZ in this regard is there are 3 buttons I have to remember which one to use for what and they don't have a 'green pilot light' to indicate if the service is operational like the easier-to-use Lexus Enform button does -- you can figure it out in the MBZ, but it's a lot more challenging than the simplistic Lexus approach. I digress... Anyway...

Telematics packaging is very different between the two brands, which I believe will make some people happier on one side or the other based on what functions they really want and use. ...e.g. if one wants live destination assistance, you have to pay for a lot of other things (that I don't need) with the MBZ mbrace PLUS package than you do with Lexus. I do agree with you that overall, the MBZ versions seem to cost more -- as a side note, they also use Verizon/Hughes Telematics to provide/support the capabilities as some other mfgrs like VW/Porsche do (but not Lexus).

The 2013 RX has an upgraded head unit to support onboard Internet Apps, just as the 2013 MBZ SLK and some other models introduced. Onboard app capability from both mfgrs is fairly similar, with perhaps MBZ having a bit of a lead, but not buy much.

Most capabilities are named different things between the brands, making it a pretty big task to build a comparative matrix, especially when it comes to pricing. There are a lot of nuances to the services offered by both brands -- a key difference to me is MBZ mbrace PLUS offers full concierge service, aka tracking down and actually purchasing airline, show tickets, etc using your credit card, whereas Lexus Enform does not go that far in what Enform with Destination Assist will provide, if you really want something like that (personally, I could care less). Off the top of my head, I can also do remote open/lock/beep-the-horn-and-flash-the-lights of my MBZ (no distance limitations) as well as locate it on a map and other things via my iPhone5 using the base mbrace capabilities. I can't do that with the base Enform capabilities and can only get some of that function if I add additional things to my RX like RES+ which seems to have it's own set of challenges as others have posted here. From the marketing materials, it appears Lexus is going to have Siri Eyes-Free as part of the 2014 RX, MBZ has some similar (?) capability now for iPhone 4/4S, with iPhone5 coming later this year (it's not super clear what it will be, but it is definitely an additional cost with HW that has to be installed in 2013/14 models).

...anyway, there's my 2-cents. The net is: I think there are more Telematics similarities than differences if one compares current generation vehicles from Lexus and MBZ.

Last edited by BertL; 08-30-13 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Made the post not as RX-specific
Old 08-31-13, 09:34 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
OP, right, as LexBob says, current Lexus models have nearly every capability that is available in a MBZ related to telematics. I have a 2013 RX450h as well as a less-than-1-month-old 2014 MBZ SLK -- both have the latest telematics capabilities from both mfgrs available today. The biggest initial gripe I have with my MBZ in this regard is there are 3 buttons I have to remember which one to use for what and they don't have a 'green pilot light' to indicate if the service is operational like the easier-to-use Lexus Enform button does -- you can figure it out in the MBZ, but it's a lot more challenging than the simplistic Lexus approach. I digress... Anyway...

Telematics packaging is very different between the two brands, which I believe will make some people happier on one side or the other based on what functions they really want and use. ...e.g. if one wants live destination assistance, you have to pay for a lot of other things (that I don't need) with the MBZ mbrace PLUS package than you do with Lexus. I do agree with you that overall, the MBZ versions seem to cost more -- as a side note, they also use Verizon/Hughes Telematics to provide/support the capabilities as some other mfgrs like VW/Porsche do (but not Lexus).

The 2013 RX has an upgraded head unit to support onboard Internet Apps, just as the 2013 MBZ SLK and some other models introduced. Onboard app capability from both mfgrs is fairly similar, with perhaps MBZ having a bit of a lead, but not buy much.

Most capabilities are named different things between the brands, making it a pretty big task to build a comparative matrix, especially when it comes to pricing. There are a lot of nuances to the services offered by both brands -- a key difference to me is MBZ mbrace PLUS offers full concierge service, aka tracking down and actually purchasing airline, show tickets, etc using your credit card, whereas Lexus Enform does not go that far in what Enform with Destination Assist will provide, if you really want something like that (personally, I could care less). Off the top of my head, I can also do remote open/lock/beep-the-horn-and-flash-the-lights of my MBZ (no distance limitations) as well as locate it on a map and other things via my iPhone5 using the base mbrace capabilities. I can't do that with the base Enform capabilities and can only get some of that function if I add additional things to my RX like RES+ which seems to have it's own set of challenges as others have posted here. From the marketing materials, it appears Lexus is going to have Siri Eyes-Free as part of the 2014 RX, MBZ has some similar (?) capability now for iPhone 4/4S, with iPhone5 coming later this year (it's not super clear what it will be, but it is definitely an additional cost with HW that has to be installed in 2013/14 models).

...anyway, there's my 2-cents. The net is: I think there are more Telematics similarities than differences if one compares current generation vehicles from Lexus and MBZ.
I didn't know Merc's new telematics is tiered pricing. We had it on our 2005 C and 2004 E class. Do you know if Mbrace is just a rebraned version of Tele Aid. I remember Teleaid is very helpful mainly in 3 ways.

- Ability to book reservations for destinations sent to the car. Hits 2 birds in one stone.
- When near a destination especially in the city you could ask a rep to verbally guide you based on what you see around your car and what she/he sees on their database. It was helpful to reduce the time spinning in circles around a building.
- Seems to be more reliable then Enform. A few times my won't connect it stuck at connecting, then goes to downloading and disconnects even without talking to anyone.
-Reps at Teleaid seem to have alot more common sense. Recently I asked for directions to XX Main Street, in MA. The rep downloaded XX Main Street in Florida. wish they had a bit more logic.

Really those are to 4 things I missed most with Teleaid compared to Enform.

I agree the button placement is a bit strange. Do they still have it buried below the armrest?
Old 08-31-13, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

We used Enform (eDestination and Destination Assist) extensively in our 2010 and never had any unusual problems. I found the Destination Assist personnel helpful and knowledgeable about the system. We used to joke that by the end of a trip they'd know us by name. I especially liked setting up folders prior to a trip and then sending POI's, destinations etc. to the car/folders via the laptop prior to departing.

We now have an Audi with their Audi Connect service. A little different but it works well too, just differently.
Old 08-31-13, 11:13 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
I didn't know Merc's new telematics is tiered pricing. We had it on our 2005 C and 2004 E class. Do you know if Mbrace is just a rebraned version of Tele Aid. I remember Teleaid is very helpful mainly in 3 ways.

- Ability to book reservations for destinations sent to the car. Hits 2 birds in one stone.
- When near a destination especially in the city you could ask a rep to verbally guide you based on what you see around your car and what she/he sees on their database. It was helpful to reduce the time spinning in circles around a building.
- Seems to be more reliable then Enform. A few times my won't connect it stuck at connecting, then goes to downloading and disconnects even without talking to anyone.
-Reps at Teleaid seem to have alot more common sense. Recently I asked for directions to XX Main Street, in MA. The rep downloaded XX Main Street in Florida. wish they had a bit more logic.

Really those are to 4 things I missed most with Teleaid compared to Enform.

I agree the button placement is a bit strange. Do they still have it buried below the armrest?
- Right. MBZ has mbrace, mbrace PLUS, MBZ Apps. I wouldn't say it's rebranded Teleaid... Lots more functionality than you remember nearly 10 years ago, and they added more capabilities on some of the 2013s (mbrace2) with additional or changed hardware in some models.
- you can have the full concierge service you remember for $280/yr plus another $20/month. I just don't order enough tickets and stuff to justify that need, and prefer to get exactly what I want seating-wise, etc via the internet at home vs letting someone else get what they think are the best for me. While PLUS gives you some geofencing abilities and other fancy things, that is just a lot of money per year... $520. Maybe if I lived in my car and only had one to pay the Telematics fees on, but I would never consider paying for the PLUS package or the Apps after the 3-month trial is over.
- Yes, MBZ offers the "stay on the line and verbally guide you" option you describe, again with the PLUS package. Enform does not have something similar. Personally, it's also too much for my needs.
- I hate to really form an opionion yet on long term reliability since I've only owned my MBZ for a month, but so far, I have had no issues with Enform (16 months) or mbrace (<1 month). BOTH have had issues with consistent connectivity and availability of the Apps... Reliance on cellular data plans seems to be part of the challenge for both.
- Like LexBob, I've had no issues with reliability of the Enform Destination Assist folks. I suppose I expect an occasional failure when live people are involved with any service from any company. In the case of Enform, the rep always asks me if I got the address once it downloads -- that would be the time I'd probably ask them to look again if they sent me something for the wrong state as it would be unfamiliar territory on my Nav..
- No, in my SLK, mbrace buttons are above the rear view mirror in a line, roughly in the same location where Lexus RX has the SOS button.
Old 08-31-13, 01:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the lexus one does not make reservations for you, at least I dont think so. So its not really a concierge service, only a destination lookup.

The mercedes MBrace and whole app integration is over priced. Im not sure how many people would renew it after their free trial goes up. Their app integration is slow too since it uses the car's 3G connection.
Old 08-31-13, 03:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

all i care about is apps... this concierge thing for $20/month does not interest me a bit.
Old 09-01-13, 09:30 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav View Post
Tele Aid is still available for pre 2010, I believe. Its run by Agero. The same folks who operate Lexus Enform.

Mbrace is run by Hughes/Verizon Telematics.