Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

McLaren P1 clocks 7:04 on Nürburgring

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 11:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default McLaren P1 clocks 7:04 on Nürburgring

Acceleration times and top speeds are all well and fine, but there are few bragging rights quite as hotly contested as a Nürburgring lap time. The current king of the hill is the Dodge Viper ACR, which managed to hustle around the Green Hell in 7:12.1. But that looks poised to be de-throned by the new McLaren P1.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/03/m...burgring-time/

Although far from confirmed, rumor has it that the P1 – which was caught just a couple of weeks ago lapping the Nordschleife – has clocked a lap time of 7:04, which would make it the fastest street-legal production car ever to round the famous German circuit. But McLaren hasn't confirmed the time, and it likely won't.

Why not, you ask? Because it's too slow.

That's right: beating the current record by six seconds isn't enough for Woking, which has made no secret of its unbridled ambition to break the seven-minute barrier. That's something that no street-legal production car has ever done. Sure, the Pagani Zonda R and Ferrari 599XX have busted into the sixes, but while they're both production-derived, neither is street legal.

As for the Radical SR8 LM, which clocked a time of 6:48 (just half a second behind the Pagani), its claim is rather dubious considering that it can only be driven in certain countries (not including this one, nor the one where the Nürburgring is located) by type-approval on a case-by-case basis.
Old 09-03-13, 07:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Aggressive number they're after. Very interested in the P1's future
Old 09-03-13, 09:51 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leno took the P1 around TG track.
Old 09-03-13, 09:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The time is very impressive. Whats more impressive is that they are saying that there is a lot left . Thats very impressive. Imagine if they shaved another two seconds off. Does Ferrari ever try to match. I am not used to seeing Ferrari ring lap times. If they do they will need to respond with La Ferrari . Im sure the 918 will be posting an official time soon ( not that the prototype hasnt already done its time at the ring).
Old 09-03-13, 10:57 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be that fast with over 900hp and its near race slick tires.
Old 09-03-13, 11:50 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The time is very impressive. Whats more impressive is that they are saying that there is a lot left . Thats very impressive. Imagine if they shaved another two seconds off. Does Ferrari ever try to match. I am not used to seeing Ferrari ring lap times. If they do they will need to respond with La Ferrari . Im sure the 918 will be posting an official time soon ( not that the prototype hasnt already done its time at the ring).
they mentioned on the Jay Leno joint that the 918 did a 7:14....
Old 09-04-13, 10:17 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Ferraris are never meant to be fast and they are not trying either, Ferrari is a life style, not a speed contest.

The Nissan GTR is all about speed, nothing else.

It would be funny if the up and coming Nismo GTR smoke all 3 around the ring (LaFerrari, 918, P1), that would be embarrassing
Old 09-04-13, 10:55 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is really awesome! I'm hoping it can break the 7 second barrier...

And I do hope the Nismo GTR will embarass them too.
Old 09-04-13, 11:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have a lot of faith in the Nissan GTR engineers. Their dedication to the project and their attention to detail borders on fetishism