Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any current/former 996 Turbo owners on here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 04:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
IMS/RMS problems affect 5% of 996's.

IMS = Intermediate Shaft (issue for non turbo 996's)
RMS = Rear Main Seal

The RMS issue is a leaking seal. Most have already been replaced with new seals that do not leak.

IMS bearing failures are a real problem. The bearing that supports the intermediate shaft is prone to failure, and when it does fail it destroys your motor. The solution is to replace it: http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

That said, you get an amazing amount of performance per dollar with the 996tt.
mike, no more nsx and moving into 911?
Old 09-08-13, 02:14 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Henry,

Sorry for the late reply. I was considering a 997.2, Exige, or even a BRZ. But I've been distracted lately by a different toy with less wheels. My father in law recently purchased a motorcycle, and it was the perfect excuse for me to get one too! And of course I can't leave well enough alone, so I'm modifying it...
Old 09-08-13, 06:06 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

typical German reliability, typical turbo charged reliability, ugly headlight (egg yolks), really cut rate interiors for that era. I've been to the museum in Stuggart and these were the dark days that were saved by the Boxster, everything inside is really low budget... compare it to an Audi TT of the same vintage and the interiors are night and day different.

I personally see no reason to own (more like maintain) one except when they run right, they are fast and a "cheap" track car.
Old 09-08-13, 06:26 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it!!!
Old 09-08-13, 09:34 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

IMS/RMS problems affect 5% of 996's.

IMS = Intermediate Shaft (issue for non turbo 996's)
RMS = Rear Main Seal

The RMS issue is a leaking seal. Most have already been replaced with new seals that do not leak.

IMS bearing failures are a real problem. The bearing that supports the intermediate shaft is prone to failure, and when it does fail it destroys your motor. The solution is to replace it: http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

That said, you get an amazing amount of performance per dollar with the 996tt.
Turbo & GT3 996 &997 models have a different engine with no IMS bearing so not relevant to this thread.
Old 09-08-13, 09:47 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jbjones85
All,

I have a 07 IS350 as my DD and am considering picking up a 996 Turbo as a weekend/fun car. Anyone on here with any first hand experience with them? Good, Bad, Ugly?

Thank you
I have driven several 996tt & also own a 07 IS350. 996 tt may well be the best buy for a luxury/ hi-performance car. Generally speaking they are good reliable cars. Like any Porsche, they are expensive to maintain properly & more expensive if not properly maintained. Service records are very important to show proper maintenance & be Very careful about buying a modified car.Have a PPI performed by the most qualified shop you can get the car to. Check the rennlist.com Turbo forum for more info.Worst thing about a Turbo is they only come with AWD. I prefer the mid engine platform with my custom built 3.6 engine.
Old 09-09-13, 05:28 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Turbo & GT3 996 &997 models have a different engine with no IMS bearing so not relevant to this thread.
You quoted me yet you did not see that I stated that the IMS issue is in the non-turbo 996.

I have driven several 996tt & also own a 07 IS350. 996 tt may well be the best buy for a luxury/ hi-performance car. Generally speaking they are good reliable cars. Like any Porsche, they are expensive to maintain properly & more expensive if not properly maintained. Service records are very important to show proper maintenance & be Very careful about buying a modified car.Have a PPI performed by the most qualified shop you can get the car to. Check the rennlist.com Turbo forum for more info.Worst thing about a Turbo is they only come with AWD. I prefer the mid engine platform with my custom built 3.6 engine.
Actually, changing to RWD is easy: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...996-turbo.html I've driven RWD 996tt's, and I prefer having the security of AWD on that car.
Old 09-09-13, 08:47 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

You quoted me yet you did not see that I stated that the IMS issue is in the non-turbo 996.

As I said not relevant to this thread. GT3 is non-Turbo & doesn't have a IMSB

Actually, changing to RWD is easy: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...996-turbo.html I've driven RWD 996tt's, and I prefer having the security of AWD on that car.
There is nothing easy about changing to RWD
Old 09-10-13, 12:30 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about a GT3. I know a guy who has owned four 996s (S, TT cab, TT, and GT3) and he said the GT3 has been his favorite by far. It's a little more raw, RWD, has a bigger motor, and is N/A - what's not to love?

If the styling ends up bothering you, I think you can do a 997 front-end conversion - not sure how much work is involved with that one though.

Or, as some have suggested get a 993. That's what I'd go with.
Old 09-10-13, 09:23 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
What about a GT3. I know a guy who has owned four 996s (S, TT cab, TT, and GT3) and he said the GT3 has been his favorite by far. It's a little more raw, RWD, has a bigger motor, and is N/A - what's not to love?

If the styling ends up bothering you, I think you can do a 997 front-end conversion - not sure how much work is involved with that one though.

Or, as some have suggested get a 993. That's what I'd go with.
If you do a conversion, you end up not saving much from buying the ugly 996 to begin with, and you still got the ugly interior.

If you want to drive a cheap turbo, you just have to drive it ugly. Sorry for being blunt

It is cheap cuz is ugly, if you spend money to fix the ugly, it aren't cheap anymore. And you end up with a car no body want cuz is all hacked up.
Old 09-10-13, 10:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Hey Henry,

Sorry for the late reply. I was considering a 997.2, Exige, or even a BRZ. But I've been distracted lately by a different toy with less wheels. My father in law recently purchased a motorcycle, and it was the perfect excuse for me to get one too! And of course I can't leave well enough alone, so I'm modifying it...
oh man.... i have been waiting!!!
Old 09-10-13, 04:28 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

As I said not relevant to this thread. GT3 is non-Turbo & doesn't have a IMSB
I think it is relevant to this thread. OP is considering a 996. He should know about the problems that have plagued 996's and have therefore resulted in an overall negative view of the platform's reliability.

Just admit you didn't see what I wrote and be over it instead of reiterating your point. I already stated that the 996tt doesn't have an IMSB, but I purposely included it in the discussion to help the OP. And yes, the GT3 is not a turbo model and doesn't have an IMSB, but using your logic that would also be irrelevant to this thread.

Originally Posted by rominl
oh man.... i have been waiting!!!
Since my father in law is in NorCal, I am thinking about getting another bike so he can ride it down here. At least that is what I am telling my wife. You can come and ride with me Henry.

Last edited by pvmike1; 09-10-13 at 04:33 PM.