Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any advice for wife's replacement of MDX, luxury awd SUV under $60K..

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 12:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

GLK looks much better than prior to the midcycle refresh, but its on its last years, maybe two at most, before a new one is set to come out. Same goes for the RX.
Old 09-15-13, 02:43 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
GLK looks much better than prior to the midcycle refresh, but its on its last years, maybe two at most, before a new one is set to come out. Same goes for the RX.
This is a big point for me, as I don't want to see a significant all new car released in 12 months time. I went to look at the RX350 and RX450 yesterday, the salesman told me it was an all new design 'last year' not sure what he means by all new design, of course he knows what I was asking and of course he lied thru his teeth. This is the same 3rd gen platform just a mid life refresh last year, not all new like he told me.

From what I could tell it is more luxurious than the MDX and would be somewhat cheaper as well. But outside dimensions not much smaller than the MDX somehow but the MDX appeared to have MUCH more room behind the second row. The RX is a good 6 inches shorter overall, and 2 inches more narrow, but behind the wheel seems similar size.

I thought the new MDX was more connected to the road while driving the RX was a bit floaty.

Between the two the power and weight are the same or similar, MDX has one feature which may be gimmick but to my liking, there is a button to set normal, comfort or sport which adjusts the steering weighting, throttle response and torque vectoring. I know it's not a sports sedan at all, but to me it seems a bit more sporty.

I am sure the Lexus is better in some areas mainly luxury and dealership experience, but we are more leaning towards the Acura at this point.

Full disclosure I am a Honda guy having owned 2 Odyssey, 1 Accord, 1 S2000 and 1 MDX against just one Toyota (Sienna). Not to say I dislike Toyota but I more tend to buy Honda on the whole.

Last edited by rai; 09-15-13 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-15-13, 03:06 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

You really can't go wrong with the MDX. The new gen is lighter, more fuel efficient, no loss in performance with up to date systems and electronics. Good luck...
Old 09-15-13, 03:07 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

SH-AWD was tested at green hell.
Old 09-15-13, 03:10 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You really can't go wrong with the MDX. The new gen is lighter, more fuel efficient, no loss in performance with up to date systems and electronics. Good luck...
Thanks, we are still looking, but leaning towards the MDX, while true it's not cheap but with the miles we drive and tend to keep the car a long time, I prefer to get a newer edition even if I pay more, we get our money's worth if we can keep it 6 years+
Old 09-15-13, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
This is a big point for me, as I don't want to see a significant all new car released in 12 months time. I went to look at the RX350 and RX450 yesterday, the salesman told me it was an all new design 'last year' not sure what he means by all new design, of course he knows what I was asking and of course he lied thru his teeth. This is the same 3rd gen platform just a mid life refresh last year, not all new like he told me.

From what I could tell it is more luxurious than the MDX and would be somewhat cheaper as well. But outside dimensions not much smaller than the MDX somehow but the MDX appeared to have MUCH more room behind the second row. The RX is a good 6 inches shorter overall, and 2 inches more narrow, but behind the wheel seems similar size.

I thought the new MDX was more connected to the road while driving the RX was a bit floaty.

Between the two the power and weight are the same or similar, MDX has one feature which may be gimmick but to my liking, there is a button to set normal, comfort or sport which adjusts the steering weighting, throttle response and torque vectoring. I know it's not a sports sedan at all, but to me it seems a bit more sporty.

I am sure the Lexus is better in some areas mainly luxury and dealership experience, but we are more leaning towards the Acura at this point.

Full disclosure I am a Honda guy having owned 2 Odyssey, 1 Accord, 1 S2000 and 1 MDX against just one Toyota (Sienna). Not to say I dislike Toyota but I more tend to buy Honda on the whole.
Poor choice of words. What he meant was 2013 receieved a major REFRESH not a REDESIGN.
Old 09-15-13, 06:02 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rai
Thanks, we are still looking, but leaning towards the MDX, while true it's not cheap but with the miles we drive and tend to keep the car a long time, I prefer to get a newer edition even if I pay more, we get our money's worth if we can keep it 6 years+
Go for the MDX. My wife and I have put an order in on a 2014 Base SH-AWD. We are trading in our '09 Base MDX that we absolutely love and have had zero problems. My wife wanted to test drive the new one 'just to see how different it was', well, she was sold on it. We have done business with the same local Acura dealership for 8 years and they took $4k off the sticker. It will be delivered at the end of the month.

We also looked at the RX but couldn't see spending a little more (Lexus dealer wasn't giving that great of a deal) for a 5 passenger.
Old 09-16-13, 04:22 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MB ML Bluetec
Old 09-16-13, 04:41 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 654 Likes on 408 Posts

I've seen it posted here before and there's been a spirited debate on the topic but I've never really accepted the argument that the RX is any more luxurious than the MDX. We owned a pretty well-equipped RX 450h prior to buying the MDX, and there's really not that much in it either way - both are decent near lux vehicles that when specked right do a pretty good job in the luxury department, but one isn't clearly better than the other. The MDX does, however, have the upper hand on performance and handling.
Old 09-16-13, 04:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

used LX570?
Old 09-16-13, 09:46 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We just bought my wife an SUV but our shopping list was a little different. She looked at vehicles all over the map: X5, GX460, 4Runner, Cayenne, Q5, and Explorer. In the end it came down to the Q5 TDi and the Cayenne Diesel. She really, really like the Q5 but didn't like Audi MMI at all because of the way you use a joystick to toggle through the menus. The Q5 can he had for well under $60k so it might be worth a look; Touareg might be another option for you.

Anyway, good luck and have fun shopping!
Old 09-17-13, 05:31 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swajames
I've seen it posted here before and there's been a spirited debate on the topic but I've never really accepted the argument that the RX is any more luxurious than the MDX. We owned a pretty well-equipped RX 450h prior to buying the MDX, and there's really not that much in it either way - both are decent near lux vehicles that when specked right do a pretty good job in the luxury department, but one isn't clearly better than the other. The MDX does, however, have the upper hand on performance and handling.
This is my feeling, we drove both the rx350 and RX450h and my view was that the material was more plush or soft touch or better carpet etc.. The ride was cloud like or as I said floaty.. I think some people prefer soft suspension or feel that's luxurious, but I come from a M3 and S2000 as my personal cars so I really prefer a firm ride.

Where people might say the MDX is not as luxury, is the interior materials such as plastic or less real wood or less plush carpets. Not bad materials, but we drove the new Honda accord and the interior materials are kind of similar.

I only have driven the FWD MDX as of yet, so I can not say for sure about the handling but the MDX i drove seemed more dampened and the steering was more firm (as I said they have a comfort - sport setting you can adjust the throttle and steering feel with).

I do wish that Acura had sprung for an 8 speed tranny which I feel will be a future upgrade.
Old 09-17-13, 05:52 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
We just bought my wife an SUV but our shopping list was a little different. She looked at vehicles all over the map: X5, GX460, 4Runner, Cayenne, Q5, and Explorer. In the end it came down to the Q5 TDi and the Cayenne Diesel. She really, really like the Q5 but didn't like Audi MMI at all because of the way you use a joystick to toggle through the menus. The Q5 can he had for well under $60k so it might be worth a look; Touareg might be another option for you.

Anyway, good luck and have fun shopping!
Thanks, good ideas. I was thinking of the Audi but my coworker has one and she's frustrated already with its reliability, and it's just one year new. I would be fit to be tied if I had to make multiple dealership visits on a new car. I know that's a small sample size but having owned many Hondas all with 6+ years service my only issue had been faulty power shindig doors on the minivan which was not disabling since it could be turned off for manual operation and was an intermittent problem.

I am not saying all Honda/Toyota are trouble free, I have heard people who have had serious transmission problems on their MDX (note on forum so really you hear the problems loud and clear but all the people without problems don't make noise about that). Or I am not saying that all Audi or VW or BMW are less reliable but just from what I hear that seems to be the trend.
Old 09-17-13, 06:05 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
used LX570?
Thanks, don't mean to knock down suggestions, but we are not looking at 6000 lb SUV trucks and we are not really looking used, If I wanted a used car I would just keep my current MDX.

The LX570 would run us something like $1500 a year more in gas, we are not tree huggers by any means but no need for a 14 mpg car, even though I will concede the cost might favor the used car since the major depreciation is out of the way.
Old 09-17-13, 10:04 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i had my sight set on the new RDX. while at an Acura deal servicing my wife's TL, i sat in both RDX and the new MDX, there's no comparison, i'm definitely going with the MDX next year when bigger discount can be had. the new MDX doesn't standout in any certain area, but it does good in all of them. the wildcard is the new '14 Lexus GX460 base. msrp is under $50k if you don't mind the fake leather seats which i don't.

Quick Reply: Any advice for wife's replacement of MDX, luxury awd SUV under $60K..