Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 12:04 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut
So how was the drive of the new CTS?
As far as looks go, the CTS exterior is a great "evolution" of their square-edge design. The interior boasts rich leather trim, with some models sporting suede inserts. The all-digital dash can be customized for any parameters you want to keep an eye on. Cadillac's CUE system takes some time to get used to, but easy to use with such a large display. I just wish the screen was angled a little bit to the driver.

The seats were firm and supportive, something I prefer over the La-Z-Boy feeling typical of American cars. The suspension was on the stiff side of soft. You definitely felt the bumps on the road, but I didn't really play with the suspension settings.

While it might be a fluke, the 2.0T felt a bit peppier off the line than the N/A 3.6L V6. But the TT V-sport is currently hands down the best of the three powerplants. The paddle-shifted tranny changed gears quickly, and the car sounded great from the inside and out. The e-steering was a bit vague in slow speed parking lot maneuvers, but was fine on freeway driving.
Old 09-24-13, 12:07 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxNine
As far as looks go, the CTS exterior is a great "evolution" of their square-edge design. The interior boasts rich leather trim, with some models sporting suede inserts. The all-digital dash can be customized for any parameters you want to keep an eye on. Cadillac's CUE system takes some time to get used to, but easy to use with such a large display. I just wish the screen was angled a little bit to the driver.

The seats were firm and supportive, something I prefer over the La-Z-Boy feeling typical of American cars. The suspension was on the stiff side of soft. You definitely felt the bumps on the road, but I didn't really play with the suspension settings.

While it might be a fluke, the 2.0T felt a bit peppier off the line than the N/A 3.6L V6. But the TT V-sport is currently hands down the best of the three powerplants. The paddle-shifted tranny changed gears quickly, and the car sounded great from the inside and out. The e-steering was a bit vague in slow speed parking lot maneuvers, but was fine on freeway driving.
Great Review.... when u said La-Z- boy seats first thought came to mind was the new Mustang and the way there seats are angled...(could be wrong but thats what i thought lol)...
Old 09-24-13, 12:13 PM
LexFather

It will be interesting to see if people pay the money for the CTS since the car has been a "tweener" and priced from lower 30k to 50k for most cars and of course the bargain 65k or so for the V. The price has jumped substantially as they have seemingly made the CTS a true mid-size class car and will the market be okay with that? The ATS hasn't been exactly an amazing selling car, actually less far less than the more expensive CTS when it was new.

Also interesting that the CTS is based off the ATS and not the other way around which keeps the CTS lighter.

I think there is a core group for Caddy/GM that will appreciate the CTS. Its funny how the G37 and CTS both debuted the same time and were the cars to change Infiniti/Caddy and Caddy has really moved the CTS upmarket while Infiniti has simply changed the name of the car to Q50.

Old 09-24-13, 05:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It will be interesting to see if people pay the money for the CTS since the car has been a "tweener" and priced from lower 30k to 50k for most cars and of course the bargain 65k or so for the V. The price has jumped substantially as they have seemingly made the CTS a true mid-size class car and will the market be okay with that? The ATS hasn't been exactly an amazing selling car, actually less far less than the more expensive CTS when it was new.

Also interesting that the CTS is based off the ATS and not the other way around which keeps the CTS lighter.

I think there is a core group for Caddy/GM that will appreciate the CTS. Its funny how the G37 and CTS both debuted the same time and were the cars to change Infiniti/Caddy and Caddy has really moved the CTS upmarket while Infiniti has simply changed the name of the car to Q50.
They have no choice. Good, forces Cadillac to play Tit for Tat. BMW, MBZ and Lexus offer a core of RWD sedans 3, C, IS - 5, E, GS - 7, S, LS then fill in niches. Cadillac is finally getting serious, and it's not like the just upped the price. No they did it right and added more luxury while offering generous powertrain options (ahem GS) AND shed weight which like the GS didn't gain any for it's redesign and unlike the 5-Series which gained 400lbs. Cadillac and Lexus are on a roll, and this Vsport replaces a base V8 mill, leaving a full fledged V8 as top of the line performance. Wish F-Sport would pull a Vsport
Old 09-25-13, 10:14 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut
Here's hoping Cadillac makes its presence known in my region.
^^
Agreed

However, I think that this would only work IF AND ONLY IF Cadillac enters the Australian market (which would have enough demand to justify RHD production)
Old 10-06-13, 11:50 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

There's a Cadillac store across the street from my automall. Can't wait to check out this VSport model. New CTS is already a major step in the right direction for Cadillac and GM
Old 10-06-13, 11:55 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a lot of ponies for a V6

im just sad Lexus hasnt brought out a GS-F yet
and GS350 F-sport saw no engine performance gain from the regular GS350...