Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW going turbo-only in 3 to 4 years

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 04:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I don't know that I'd call offering at least one turbocharged engine in every single model in the lineup behind the times. Most manufacturers have at least one model where no turbo is offered at all, and I think only BMW is all forced-induction at this point (though Audi might be also).
Audi is not so. R8, RS5 have NA engines
Old 09-19-13, 04:51 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

It makes so much sense for carmakers (read not TRUCK lines) to go Forced Induction. I have never seen a reason not to.
Old 09-20-13, 08:23 AM
dragtek1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not truck lines? A properly sized turbo can make gobs of low end torque. For me it is a reliability situation; with the extra oil lines, coolant lines, pressured intake pipe and the turbo itself... it's a bit worrisome. My buddy has a VW Tiguan and that thing is a reliability nightmare.
Old 09-21-13, 05:43 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

That's because their normal engines are rubbish.

And even their forced induced engines are rubbish and extremely unreliable. Clunkers.
Old 09-21-13, 06:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
That's because their normal engines are rubbish.

And even their forced induced engines are rubbish and extremely unreliable. Clunkers.
It seems like the boosted engines from VW/Audi here in NA are competitive with others in their various classes.
Old 09-21-13, 09:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The VR6 was a great engine according to everyone who tested it. The NA 2.0 and 2.5 stink/stunk.
My old Passat's 1.8T was punchy and smooth. This was the engine that started it all, thanks to the 1996 A4. Audi continued on with the 2.0T, and now everyone's got one. Glad to see the turbos spreading. However, if I were the type to hold onto cars for 12 years, I'd worry about component failures. With my measily 2.5 V6 IS, there is no doubt the thing will run to the moon and back and do it for the next decade.
Old 09-23-13, 12:26 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The VR6 was a great engine according to everyone who tested it. The NA 2.0 and 2.5 stink/stunk.
My old Passat's 1.8T was punchy and smooth. This was the engine that started it all, thanks to the 1996 A4. Audi continued on with the 2.0T, and now everyone's got one. Glad to see the turbos spreading. However, if I were the type to hold onto cars for 12 years, I'd worry about component failures. With my measily 2.5 V6 IS, there is no doubt the thing will run to the moon and back and do it for the next decade.
People say the IS250 is slow but I just don't see it. Driving the IS250 the engine is so creamy, buttery, silky and unruffled the power builds very smoothly. Go on the HWY punch it and it gives your effortless passing power!

Turbo engines are always different. On paper theyre good. The mass market turbo are strong at about 3000-4000rpm but they change gears too much, they drink too much, they spew smoke, they burn oil and the performance is never consistent!

The 2.5L 4GR-FSE in the IS250 is like an electric motor, literally!
Old 09-23-13, 12:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

People say the IS250 is slow but I just don't see it. Driving the IS250 the engine is so creamy, buttery, silky and unruffled the power builds very smoothly. Go on the HWY punch it and it gives your effortless passing power!

Turbo engines are always different. On paper theyre good. The mass market turbo are strong at about 3000-4000rpm but they change gears too much, they drink too much, they spew smoke, they burn oil and the performance is never consistent!

I've been saying something similar for awhile now. The IS250 is essentially a four cylinder equivalent with an extra two cylinders to help keep power delivery smooth which is part of the refined Lexus experience.
Old 09-23-13, 04:48 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

HUH?

Which turbo engines are these? Don't sound like modern ones to me.
Old 09-23-13, 10:39 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Just curious how durable are the new OEM turbo. Will they last 150K without replacement? per engineering stand point, the less complex/parts motor usually last longer. The more complex it got, the more problems it gets.

I ask because my friend's 1998 Audi A4 1.8T has to replace the turbo at 70k and he get rid of it at 115k when it need another one.
Old 09-23-13, 02:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Just curious how durable are the new OEM turbo. Will they last 150K without replacement? per engineering stand point, the less complex/parts motor usually last longer. The more complex it got, the more problems it gets.

I ask because my friend's 1998 Audi A4 1.8T has to replace the turbo at 70k and he get rid of it at 115k when it need another one.
I think the new gen of small turbos (2.0t's in VW, Audi, BMW, Ford etc.) might be too new for long term reliability information. It might take a few mores years to get the picture. Personally I wouldn't keep one too long after the factory warranty expired.
Old 09-23-13, 06:53 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

A friend of mine has the revised version of that engine (pre-2000 was AWD, mid-2000 on was AWW) in his 2000 Jetta. It's been chipped (Upsolute) since about 6k, and currently has 170k with no major issues (water pump, alternator, plugs, coil pack here and there, the usual). He drives like a maniac too, on boost whenever he can, and has been autocrossing it for the past 8 years. The only thing he doesn't do is shut it down right after running it particularly hard--he lets it idle for a few minutes to cool down, or just mellows out for the last few minutes of a drive so the turbo isn't a glowing ball of near-molten steel when the oil flow gets cut.

Don't know if that's sample variation, design improvement, better maintenance, or something else. But turbo doesn't have to mean unreliable.
Old 09-23-13, 10:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Agreed. The 2.5 V6 is a gem in smoothness, if a bit down on numbers. My biggest gripe is the engine note, especially when cold. Doesn't do the car any favors. But after five years of ownership, I can't say there's really been a time I felt I was being starved for power. At least for the average buyer, it's good enough. What I appreciate most is having a smooth engine combined with high mpg's on the highway. These two features rarely come together. I can cruise at 70 with the air off and watch the computer stay at 31/32 mpg's.
Old 09-24-13, 05:42 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Ding Ding! That's the hidden cost of these more stringent EPA regulations. Yes, turbocharged engines are more complex and have more to go wrong. Direct injected engines have high potential for carbon build-up issues which might require extensive repairs or rebuilding 100k miles down the line. Even Honda Accords are direct injected now. I'll tell you this. A lot of people are in for a surprise and huge repair bills at some point. And in most cases they're not going to have saved enough on fuel to break even either and will be furious.
Old 09-24-13, 08:03 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't like the fact that my IS250 (slushbox) would downshift for every overpass with cruise control on, it was pretty annoying to me (with just me @ 175lbs in the car)....later got the IS350 and it didn't do that

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
thank goodness the 2.5L I5 is being dropped for the 1.8L I4 Turbo
agreed, horrible motor IMO

Quick Reply: VW going turbo-only in 3 to 4 years