Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

21 Scams Used By Devious Car Dealers — And How To Avoid Them

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-13, 06:32 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 21 Scams Used By Devious Car Dealers — And How To Avoid Them

For those thinking of buying or leasing a Lexus -- there are scams listed I've never heard people discuss before and some that we all know about.

"To help potential buyers avoid overpaying for a lemon, or even a new car, Gregg Fidan, the founder of RealCarTips.com and the author of "Honest Guide to Buying a Car," has compiled the Ultimate List of Car Buying Scams, including 112 tricks unscrupulous car dealers rely on to bilk their customers.

From those 112, we've selected the 21 most common, costly, and devious scams, and included Fidan's tips on how to detect and avoid them."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...#ixzz2g6EcEPMa
Old 09-27-13, 06:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i wish i could just buy a car from a store and skip the dealer. I know what I want already. I wonder how much of the price of a new car is from the dealer. I want to skip that crap.
Old 09-27-13, 07:04 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i wish i could just buy a car from a store and skip the dealer. I know what I want already. I wonder how much of the price of a new car is from the dealer. I want to skip that crap.
Yeah, me too.
Old 09-27-13, 07:23 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

My last three cars I kept everything separate.

Take trade-in to CarMax and get a price they'll pay. One car I financed but I got the loan and a check for the amount of the loan from Capitol One. I walked in with that check. I buy no extended warranties or dealer installed add-ons.

All negotiations done online. Get one quote and play the dealers off one another via email. Answer no questions i.e. do you have a trade-in, financing, leasing -- none of their business -- ask again and again for best price. I take the best price to the dealer and then try to negotiate away fees.

I'm no expert but got I got a good amount off the weekend it debuted.

Last edited by Glashub; 09-27-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-27-13, 07:24 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those slimey salesmen. Arghh make me cringe!
Old 09-27-13, 07:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
One car I financed but I got the loan and a check for the amount of the loan from Capitol One. I walked in with that check. I buy no extended warranties or dealer installed add-ons.

All negotiations done online. Get one quote and play the dealers off one another via email. Answer no questions i.e. do you have a trade-in, financing, leasing -- none of their business -- ask again and again for best price. I take the best price to the dealer and then try to negotiate away fees.
same thing here - I use email 100% - I've had luck finding the exact car(s) I wanted on autotrader then emailing the dealers and negotiating total price - even had contracts emailed over to me with total amounts quoted.

and re financing - last time I told them I was pre-approved at my CU at x% and asked if they wanted to beat it - they usually do! altho Cap1 checks are nice to use as well!
Old 09-27-13, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

To take this article literally is to believe that most (or all) dealerships are just rip-off institutions trying to get your money and nothing else. In fact, that is not true. Some are....some aren't. Not only do dealerships, as a whole, differ significantly from one to another, but, in some cases, even individual salespeople and managers within the same dealership. It is unfair to try and lump them all into the same image.
Old 09-27-13, 08:49 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

mmarshall I sold cars for a while. From Rolls Royces to Chevrolet's. What you wrote is true BUT every dealership had an up system which means a salesman has to capitalize while he can AND there are always spiff programs and special monthly accolades doled out to the top performer -- no matter the dealership.

I left the industry because I felt my soul was at risk. Then there's the behind the scene culture where the sales people would go out to a bar and toast the best closing tactic (lie) and reinforce "getting over". Some sales people don't consider it a good deal unless they rape a buyer every way they can. And they're applauded for it by the sales manager.

Not saying all are like this but the good guys don't usually survive AND dealerships aren't going on recruiting trips to Harvard looking for the best and the brightest. The people selling cars are usually from my experience from hard scrabble backgrounds or are simply lazy or undisciplined. Almost all are very bright. Again, this is my observation from selling cars for a few years. They'll take any warm body and put them of the floor with little or no training. That person is then left to learn from the people referenced above. AND to make matters worse -- sales people are not given salaries -- they're given "draws" a meager amount weekly that is deducted from future sales. An environment ripe for rip offs imo.

I went to Keye's Lexus 1st and was astonished by the lies and misinformation they were pumping at me. I bought my Lexus from a gentleman and Longo Lexus who told me the truth and told me what he could do and couldn't do.

Last edited by Glashub; 09-27-13 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-27-13, 09:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To take this article literally is to believe that most (or all) dealerships are just rip-off institutions trying to get your money and nothing else. In fact, that is not true. Some are....some aren't. Not only do dealerships, as a whole, differ significantly from one to another, but, in some cases, even individual salespeople and managers within the same dealership. It is unfair to try and lump them all into the same image.
while there's some ok sales people out there, the car sales business is no social service. they're in it to make money and get as high a price, as high a margin, and as much money from financing as possible, and i'd say most will say just about anything and most know a lot of psychological tactics.

when most people walk into a dealership, the salesperson often knows more about their personality than they know about themselves. unless people are very careful, they will overpay, but on the other hand, if they don't know and are happy with their purchase, it doesn't bother me. caveat emptor.
Old 09-27-13, 09:28 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Yep, most of my previous cars are done online. When I get there, the paper works are ready to sign.

Originally Posted by yowps3
Those slimey salesmen. Arghh make me cringe!
Don't forget the slimy manager and finance dept. Basically if it's a shady dealer, then everyone there is also shady.
Service dept. could be on a whole different level.

A good place to vent since this a family member's bad experience at a Toyota dealership:

Basically, slimy dealer wouldn't honor the negotiated price and just played it off.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...leazebags.html
Old 09-27-13, 10:34 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

We generally do not buy cars from dealers, new or used. The vast majority of our purchases are private party. We got screwed by a dealer on a used Chevy pickup we bought. That was 10 years ago. The only time we've set foot on a dealer lot since then was buying my folks' Chrysler 300C this summer on Long Island. It actually turned out well. We're pretty happy with how it went down.

A couple months ago, I got paid $40 to ride to down to Vegas and pick up an 09 Corolla from the auto auction. There was a group of us picking up 4 cars. Of course, some of these auction cars are messed up. I could tell my Corolla had been in an accident(misalignment of panels, awful steering, etc), and there was a van that had a bolt in the tire and no spare. The dealer said to drive it anyway. One of the other cars broke down on the way back, and I saw it on the lot for sale the next day. I wouldn't be surprised if he applied a bandage to the wound and is sending it down the road to an unsuspecting buyer.
Old 09-27-13, 12:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
We got screwed by a dealer on a used Chevy pickup we bought. That was 10 years ago.
how did you get 'screwed'? what information provided not in writing did you believe or written terms did you overlook?

A couple months ago, I got paid $40 to ride to down to Vegas and pick up an 09 Corolla from the auto auction. There was a group of us picking up 4 cars. Of course, some of these auction cars are messed up. I could tell my Corolla had been in an accident(misalignment of panels, awful steering, etc), and there was a van that had a bolt in the tire and no spare. The dealer said to drive it anyway. One of the other cars broke down on the way back, and I saw it on the lot for sale the next day. I wouldn't be surprised if he applied a bandage to the wound and is sending it down the road to an unsuspecting buyer.
reason billionth-and-1 why i won't buy used.
Old 09-27-13, 12:32 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

The truck was represented as having recently had a bunch of parts replaced and maintenance done....yet it had several issues arise that would not have arisen had said work been done(or at least only one or two issues would have occurred).
Old 09-27-13, 12:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

mmarshall I sold cars for a while. From Rolls Royces to Chevrolet's. What you wrote is true BUT every dealership had an up system which means a salesman has to capitalize while he can AND there are always spiff programs and special monthly accolades doled out to the top performer -- no matter the dealership.

I left the industry because I felt my soul was at risk. Then there's the behind the scene culture where the sales people would go out to a bar and toast the best closing tactic (lie) and reinforce "getting over". Some sales people don't consider it a good deal unless they rape a buyer every way they can. And they're applauded for it by the sales manager.

Not saying all are like this but the good guys don't usually survive AND dealerships aren't going on recruiting trips to Harvard looking for the best and the brightest. The people selling cars are usually from my experience from hard scrabble backgrounds or are simply lazy or undisciplined. Almost all are very bright. Again, this is my observation from selling cars for a few years. They'll take any warm body and put them of the floor with little or no training. That person is then left to learn from the people referenced above. AND to make matters worse -- sales people are not given salaries -- they're given "draws" a meager amount weekly that is deducted from future sales. An environment ripe for rip offs imo.

I went to Keye's Lexus 1st and was astonished by the lies and misinformation they were pumping at me. I bought my Lexus from a gentleman and Longo Lexus who told me the truth and told me what he could do and couldn't do.

Finally an insider who speaks out on CL. We already knew cars salespeople are a bunch of liars and thieves but I respect you coming out and saying this as well as

To me car salespeople are the spawn of Satan and their biggest God damn liars I have evr come across. I also hate the way they love to try to screw you when you are in the medical field. What I do now is to go in and waste their time having them show me the car, then I go online and pick my options, then I call the internet sale person and wheel and deal over the phone. Feels great to screw them out of a commission even if I have to go to another dealership to make sure. I am out for blood because I have been screwed and I will always treat them like the liars they are until they prove they are not. Still haven't seen one yet
Old 09-27-13, 12:39 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dealer salesman part of the equation is really an obsolete part of the whole process. In many ways IMO it hurts the reputation of the car company than it does to help them.

Every time I drive pass the local nissan dealership, there are always 3 to four of them just standing there. And a lot of times when a potential customer approaches them, they seem totally ignorant on the price points and vehicle info. As a customer, I want the salesman to win my business with their knowledge to the lowest price possible. Not just to pass me over to the manager where we go through the same process all over again.

there's a lot of fat they can trim off at these dealerships but the car companies decide not to. I guess they just want to keep the usual protocol going and make sure people have jobs....as weird as it sounds.

the salesperson, 90 percent of the time is an obstacle rather than a service. In fact, the whole process is like a ninja obstacle course where u have to try to get past the salesperson, then assistant manager then the manager. It's just ridiculous.

Tesla has changed this entire process. Their sales reps make their cars look good. They are full of info. the price is the price.

Last edited by Tantrix; 09-27-13 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 21 Scams Used By Devious Car Dealers — And How To Avoid Them