Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 12:32 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

À couple of points, first the RR driver was very nice not to knock over a bunch more of these attackers I think he could have gotten off with out being charged, but he really wasn't tring to injure more attackers just trying to get away.

I think, it was fortunate he was in a RR or something so he was better able to escape, who knows what wold have happened if he had not got into a populated area where the animals could be scattered before they finished their dirty work?

Lastly, how is it possible for there not to have been more police presence when surely this was going on not just this one incidence.
Old 10-02-13, 12:33 PM
lowcel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rai
À couple of points, first the RR driver was very nice not to knock over a bunch more of these attackers I think he could have gotten off with out being charged, but he really wasn't tring to injure more attackers just trying to get away.

I think, it was fortunate he was in a RR or something so he was better able to escape, who knows what wold have happened if he had not got into a populated area where the animals could be scattered before they finished their dirty work?

Lastly, how is it possible for there not to have been more police presence when surely this was going on not just this one incidence.
There were over 200 phone calls reporting (complaining about) what was going on with this ride. The police certainly knew about it.
Old 10-02-13, 12:34 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
the RR driver's face getting slashed...did this occur after they boxed him in and started slashing his tires and bashing on his vehicle, or afterwards when the driver fled and they later caught up to him?
happened when they caught up with him after he tried to flee
Old 10-02-13, 12:36 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you see what it looked like when the RR ran over the bike and biker. It looked horrible. Assuming these bikers are close -- the adrenaline must have shot through them like a jolt of speed. If you're part of human nature -- you're capable of doing anything anyone else has done if put in the same circumstances. I'm not defending him or the driver but this driver was lucky he got off with his life given the anger, adrenaline, testosterone, and peer pressure at work there. Bad men would not have stopped with a slashing or broken windows. Trust me on that one.
Old 10-02-13, 12:39 PM
blklegend
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Bad men would not have stopped with a slashing or broken windows. Trust me on that one.
They stopped because the cops came, if the cops had not shown up, he and his family probably would have been dead.
Old 10-02-13, 12:42 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowcel
Please don't call these people bikers or riders, they are nothing more than thug punks. I ride a sport bike and I would never dream of doing something like this. I bought the bike to enjoy back roads and to take to places such as the tail of the dragon. What these punks are doing does nothing but bring negative attention to all of us that ride sport bikes. Most of us would never do this crap. Unfortunately this is the sickening stuff that makes the news.

For what it is worth, on the motorcycle forums 95% of the people are smart enough to know it was the thugs fault. I would have done the exact same thing the SUV driver did, anything possible to get my family out of risk.
Thanks for posting, I agree but I do see too many *** hats riding these sports bikes irresponsibly and likely no cop car in the world could catch them. Not saying you are wrong to have a nice sport bike but its getting a bad reputation by the too many bad actors out there.

As they say a few bad apples spoil the bunch, or what I mean like the mass gun shooters bring a bad name to all people who own guns.

But I could see there might come a time where these bikes could be banned or fitted with tracking devices that would pinpoint their location to see if they are in a swarm and identify the bikes who were in participation. I know it would be a bad thing for all riders to be punished for the few bad ones. But it can happen if these high profile events keep up.

Any dirt bike or ATV on the public street should be seized and destroyed and any rider hiding or removing their plates should be considered and tried as a criminal period, End of story,

You are not allowed to possess a gun in NYC you could easily pass a law to say its illegal to drive a bike without tags showing and or can't drive a dirt bike on public roads and its mandatory jail. They did it with hand guns already.

Last edited by rai; 10-02-13 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-02-13, 12:44 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

They attacked the car and put a lot of people in danger. That's bad men in my book. Who knew what they would have done had the cops not shown up. And if you read the story, when the cops came, all the good men on bikes fled the scene. Yeah they're not bad at all.
Old 10-02-13, 12:45 PM
lowcel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rai
Thanks for posting, I agree but I do see too many *** hats riding these sports bikes irresponsibly and likely no cop car in the world could catch them.

As they say a few bad apples spoil the bunch, or what I mean like the mass gun shooters bring a bad name to all people who own guns.

But I could see there might come a time where these bikes could be banned or fitted with tracking devices that would pinpoint their location to see if they are in a swarm and identify the bikes who were in participation. I know it would be a bad thing for all riders to be punished for the few bad ones. But it can happen if these high profile events keep up.

Any dirt bike or ATV on the public street should be seized and destroyed and any rider hiding or removing their plates should be considered and tried as a criminal period, End of story,

You are not allowed to possess a gun in NYC you could easily pass a law to say its illegal to drive a bike without tags showing and or can't drive a dirt bike on public roads and its mandatory jail. They did it with hand guns they can easily do it with spot bikes.
I can't really disagree with any of that. I will say that I would never run from the cops, it isn't worth it to me to risk my life, a cop's life, or anyone else's life to avoid getting a ticket. I would rather listen to my wife yell at me over it than have her identify my body. As proof, I received my first ticket in 20 years last week while I was on the bike. I deserved it, no reason to run. With that said, I am going to do everything I can to get it reduced.
Old 10-02-13, 12:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Did one of these punks cut the drivers face?? I thought I read report that said he had 2 black eyes. Thats nuts if they took a knife to his face. The fact that they did attack in the end just justifies the guy running the bikers over to get away. So happy there will be justice. When I saw the video initially it seemed like the biker posted it to get sympathy and it blew up in their faces
Old 10-02-13, 12:53 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowcel
I can't really disagree with any of that. I will say that I would never run from the cops, it isn't worth it to me to risk my life, a cop's life, or anyone else's life to avoid getting a ticket. I would rather listen to my wife yell at me over it than have her identify my body. As proof, I received my first ticket in 20 years last week while I was on the bike. I deserved it, no reason to run. With that said, I am going to do everything I can to get it reduced.
I hear you. I have got a few tickets in my M3 but really not anything more than 15 over the speed limit. But I don't complain and hopefully I was not endangering anyone.

I don't mind bike riders, many are very nice and courteous, particularly these weekend Harley riders. I just think there is a time and place for everything as you said cruising the dragon, but not like these guys I have seen the 'deleted' videos where they are running red lights and splitting lanes against traffic and etc... All with innocent drivers on the road and no doubt children as well were in danger.
Old 10-02-13, 01:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Update summary from yesterday:

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/10/01/u...port-incident/

"Yesterday we reported an incident that occurred in New York over the weekend involving a bike gang and a Range Rover Sport. The entire event was captured on video and now multiple sources are reporting that the biker we saw who caused the original accident, 28 year old Christopher Cruz, has been arrested. Cruz is set to be charged with menacing, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.

The identity of the Range Rover Sport driver has been confirmed as 33 year old Alexian Lien who was travelling with his wife Rosalyn Ng, and their 2-year-old daughter. Its thought that around 30 bikers followed the Range Rover following the incident. The event, an annual ride from Brooklyn to Times Square known as Hollywood Block Party, had been organised by a man known as Hollywood Stuntz. Police had been monitoring the event and arrested 15 bikers, confiscated 55 motorcycles and issued 68 summonses.

It is being reported that one of the bikers, 32 year old Edwin Mieses was taken to hospital following the incident. He is currently in a critical condition, having sustained broken legs. Doctors have placed Mieses in a medically-induced coma at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital. There is some suggestion he could have been paralysed by the accident.

The driver of the Range Rover Sport, Alexander Lien sustained knife wounds to his face. He was admitted to hospital for treatment. He received stitches before being discharged. Police are still searching for the two bikers who carried out the attack. Lien was not expected to be charged, but the police department is still investigating the incident.

Almost all of the bikers involved had their numberplates removed. Many were not even registered for the road or even road-legal. The videos below show that on past events, and on this weekend’s event, violence had broken out. Sources suggest that last year an incident occurred between a bus and a rider when the rider smashed the rear window with a crowbar. The video below shows those involved riding on the pavements and even attacking a Prius driver. Seems as though the whole event was an accident waiting to happen… "
Old 10-02-13, 01:05 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

lol "even attacking a Prius driver." Like attacking a saint or something.
Old 10-02-13, 01:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when people are in large groups, especially stupid ones, anything no matter how small it is will set them off. They are just looking for any excuse no matter how small to go off on someone. Too bad they messed with someone that fought back and didnt roll over. Now the cops are going to crack down on gatherings like this hard due to the publicity.

on the pictures of the SUV at the beating the passenger side window is shattered, meaning they tried to attack his wife/child directly as well.
Old 10-02-13, 01:09 PM
lowcel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rai
I hear you. I have got a few tickets in my M3 but really not anything more than 15 over the speed limit. But I don't complain and hopefully I was not endangering anyone.

I don't mind bike riders, many are very nice and courteous, particularly these weekend Harley riders. I just think there is a time and place for everything as you said cruising the dragon, but not like these guys I have seen the 'deleted' videos where they are running red lights and splitting lanes against traffic and etc... All with innocent drivers on the road and no doubt children as well were in danger.
They got me for doing 56 in a 30. It was a "straight" part of the road and I honestly wasn't getting on it. I just screwed up, no excuses. Just like when the cop asked me if I had a reason for going so fast, I replied "not a good one". I was only 1/2 mile into Tennessee on Tail of the Dragon. Honestly, very few people go there intending to do the speed limit, it doesn't matter what type of vehicle you are in. That is where the whole you play you pay thing comes in.

I am certainly not complaining. I have gotten away with speeding in all types of vehicles for 20 years. Eventually I had to get caught.
Old 10-02-13, 01:11 PM
lowcel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when people are in large groups, especially stupid ones, anything no matter how small it is will set them off. They are just looking for any excuse no matter how small to go off on someone. Too bad they messed with someone that fought back and didnt roll over. Now the cops are going to crack down on gatherings like this hard due to the publicity.

on the pictures of the SUV at the beating the passenger side window is shattered, meaning they tried to attack his wife/child directly as well.
They also shattered the window where the child was.

One thing I have read, I cannot verify, is that these gangs will do this to a nice vehicle, stop in front of them, get hit, then surround the vehicle and demand money from the occupants. It is basically a scam.

I can't say that is true but it does make some sense. No matter what, stop in front of enough vehicles while on a motorcycle you will eventually regret it.

Quick Reply: NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV