Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 02:45 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Because so happy by that update.
In any case that guy will have to live with the fact because his actions,there's a guy in coma and paralyzed and a guy with his face knife slashed and other injuries..
oh, i'm sure he'll lose A LOT of sleep over this. he'll probably lay low for a bit, get new duds and continue w/ the same bs w/ other people on the road.
Old 10-02-13, 02:56 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
I've been defending?

I've been feeling sorry for the one biker that got hurt and thought that situation could of been de-escalated. Because of your hatred for them (or me lol), you translated that differently. I'm Asian, just like the dude in the RR, so i have sympathy for him as well, but as I said all along, I think if calmer heads prevailed, no one should of got hurt.

So would you also defend the guy in Brazil that ran over the bicyclists?
WTF?

Now I hate you and the bikers?

Lets just end playing post tag now.
Old 10-02-13, 02:58 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been defending?

I've been feeling sorry for the one biker that got hurt and thought that situation could of been de-escalated. Because of your hatred for them (or me lol), you translated that differently. I'm Asian, just like the dude in the RR, so i have sympathy for him as well, but as I said all along, I think if calmer heads prevailed, no one should of got hurt.

So would you also defend the guy in Brazil that ran over the bicyclists?
I dont get it, what calmer action should the RR owner have taken before fleeing? Step out of his vehicle and get attacked? Sit in his car with his family while a mob is outside wrecking his car?? I feel bad for the dude that got paralyzed, but he got what he deserved no doubt.
Old 10-02-13, 03:09 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/10/02...n-ran-him-over

Wife of Biker: He'll Never Walk Again After NYC Man Ran Him Over

FROM
AMERICA'S NEWSROOM
// OCT 02 2013 // 10:14AM AS SEEN ON
AMERICA'S NEWSROOM
Yesterday we showed you some unbelievable video of a road rage confrontation in New York City that turned very ugly.

This Video of a Disabled Boy and Dog Is Melting Hearts All Over the World

It all started with a large group of bikers riding on Manhattan's West Side Highway on Sunday. The Hollywood Stuntz organization had planned to ride through Times Square, but were turned away by the NYPD.

Alexian Lien, 33, was driving his Range Rover with his wife and two-year-old daughter inside when he rear-ended one of the bikers. He stopped at that point, and several bikers began to slam their helmets on his car and slash the tires.

Fearing for his safety, Lien can be seen on the video running over one of the bikers as he makes a frantic bid to get away. That action left 26-year-old Jeremiah Mieses seriously injured and now doctors fear he may never walk again.

In the ensuing chase, Lien eventually got off the highway and stopped. His driver's side window was smashed and he was dragged from the SUV, beaten and slashed in the face. He was taken to a hospital and received stitches for his injuries.

On America's Newsroom this morning, Bill Hemmer discussed the next steps in this case with Judge Andrew Napolitano.

Dayana Mieses has said that her husband got off his bike and walked over to Lien's vehicle in order to help the biker who had been hit. That's when Lien, surrounded by the group of enraged bikers, panicked and hit the accelerator. She said her husband was run over by Lien's SUV and is now in a coma and paralyzed.

So the question now is, will Lien face charges for his actions?

Watch the segment to see what the judge thinks, and let us know your opinion.
Old 10-02-13, 03:39 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It would be crazy if this guy was the Range Rover driver

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/10/...ghway-7716497/
Attached Thumbnails NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV-315685.jpg  
Old 10-02-13, 04:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

upstanding citizen alert

Bikers Attack SUV: Gruesome Photos Of Alexian Lien And 'Jay Meezee' Emerge After Road Rage Video Goes Viral [VIDEO]

However, records show that Mieses never had a valid driver's license nor motorcycle license.

In June, the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles notified the National Driver Register that Mieses' right to drive in the state was revoked until 2017 for habitual traffic offenses, according to a Boston Globe report.
Lawrence man seriously injured in NYC incident involving SUV and motorcyclists - Metro - The Boston Globe

Though Mieses is a Massachusetts resident, he has never had a valid Massachusetts driver’s license for a passenger vehicle and has never applied for a motorcycle license, the Registry of Motor Vehicles said.

Registry records show that Mieses applied for a learner’s permit in 1999 and 2000, but that he never obtained a full license because he failed to pay fines imposed after he was ticketed for speeding in Lawrence in 1999. His last contact with the Registry was in 2001, when he obtained an identification card, registry records show.

Since 1999, he has been ticketed by police 16 times, in Lawrence, Methuen, Roxbury, Andover, and New Hampshire, according to registry records.

In June, the Registry notified the National Driver Register that Mieses was a habitual traffic offender whose right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017, records show.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-02-13 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-02-13, 04:57 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm definitely believe RR driver had every right to do such actions to flee from being attacked as per say New York state law. I also believe RR Driver did not intend to harm anyone except to flee the scene to protect self and family when they attack his vehicle. Where it gets a little hairy is the person he ran over, Where was this guy? Was he just sitting in the way and blocking the SUV or was he standing in front of the car or was he one of the attackers. Its very unfortunate if he was just sitting there (not the aggressor) watching and got ran over but if he was blocking the way is his own fault for being a part of the incident. If he was one of the aggressors attacking and slashing the tires and got ran over then its more justified by the law. According to the law, even if he wasn't the aggressor, and got hit incidentally for being a by-stander, According to NY law, RR Driver is not liable for his actions to Flee an attack.. NY law also states you can use your vehicle OFFENSIVELY to fight off your attackers and leave the scene even if bystanders get hurt is his right within the law of NY.. (this is my understanding of the Law.)
Old 10-02-13, 05:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Id probably do the same thing, you have no idea what these guys would do, especially with your family in the car.
Old 10-02-13, 05:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I'm definitely believe RR driver had every right to do such actions to flee from being attacked as per say New York state law. I also believe RR Driver did not intend to harm anyone except to flee the scene to protect self and family when they attack his vehicle. Where it gets a little hairy is the person he ran over, Where was this guy? Was he just sitting in the way and blocking the SUV or was he standing in front of the car or was he one of the attackers. Its very unfortunate if he was just sitting there (not the aggressor) watching and got ran over but if he was blocking the way is his own fault for being a part of the incident. If he was one of the aggressors attacking and slashing the tires and got ran over then its more justified by the law. According to the law, even if he wasn't the aggressor, and got hit incidentally for being a by-stander, According to NY law, RR Driver is not liable for his actions to Flee an attack.. NY law also states you can use your vehicle OFFENSIVELY to fight off your attackers and leave the scene even if bystanders get hurt is his right within the law of NY.. (this is my understanding of the Law.)
You are correct. Good to see some knowledge every once in a while
Old 10-02-13, 07:19 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious, would you all say that this driver who ran over several bicyclist is also innocent (although he is facing multiple felony charges)? Again, I'm NOT taking sides with the bikers, just astonished at the reactions so far....these are very similar incidents.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/03/wo...azil.html?_r=0

Mad driver runs over dozens of cyclists during critical mass in Brazil - YouTube

Here's the interview with him as well:

http://www.theurbancountry.com/2011/...interview.html
That's a pretty goofy comparison. In one case you have a bunch of hipsters blocking the street forcing cars to slow down. In the other, you have a pack of idiots attacking a family and putting their lives in danger. As much as I dislike hipsters, they were not threatening anyone in any way. Annoying, yes. But you can't claim self defense simply because someone annoys you.
Old 10-02-13, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,407 Likes on 1,578 Posts

I've been feeling sorry for the one biker that got hurt and thought that situation could of been de-escalated. ... I think if calmer heads prevailed, no one should of got hurt.
it's one thing to be sympathetic with people who are hurt. but you seem to be making some kind of moral equivalence that the RR driver is partly at fault, which i don't understand at all.

he obviously did not intend to hurt someone, he panicked because he was surrounded by a gang of motorcyclists, most of whom did not have license plates, wore masks as well as helmets to hide their identity, and were harassing him. he feared greatly for his wife and child (and himself), tried to flee and someone got hurt.

the 'calmer heads' that could have prevailed would have been if the gang had simply backed off from the RR and let him on his way. i'm sure he had no interest in sticking around. but no, they decided they should harass him. just blocking him in was aggressive threatening behavior.

i hope most if not all of the motor cyclists go to jail, and i hope the RR driver is not charged, even though he unintentionally hurt one of the motor cyclists, which was obviously self defense.
Old 10-03-13, 05:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Passaic man to face grand jury probe in N.Y.C. motorcycle chase of SUV
LAST UPDATED: WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 2, 2013, 9:07 PM
BY JEFF GREEN AND ABBOTT KOLOFF

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Prosecutors probing a New York City road-rage incident during a weekend motorcycle rally said Wednesday they are taking charges against a Passaic man to a grand jury and while reviewing the roles of dozens of other bikers.

Christopher Cruz appears in criminal court with his lawyer H. Benjamin Perez, left, in New York, Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013.

Christopher Cruz, 28, is accused of sparking the Sunday incident, which included a chase of an SUV by a swarm of motorcyclists on a New York City highway that ended with blood and broken bones. Cruz was charged Wednesday with reckless driving and unlawful imprisonment and was released on $1,500 cash bail.

His lawyer, H. Benjamin Perez, said Cruz denies the charges — "He will come back to fight this case and clear his name," Perez said.

Cruz, whose license was suspended as a condition of his bail, is the only person charged criminally so far in the incident caught on another biker’s helmet camera and posted online anonymously. The Manhattan District Attorney's Office decided not to immediately prosecute a second suspect who surrendered Tuesday.

Cruz’s license has been suspended four times before in New Jersey, the last time in 2006, state Motor Vehicle Commission records show. He has received 17 summonses for traffic violations since 2001, including five for careless driving, two for the unsafe operation and one for speeding, records show. He was in good standing with the state MVC before Sunday, with just one point on his driver's license.

During the rally on Manhattan's West Side Highway, authorities said Cruz cut in front of a black Range Rover, slowing so much that his motorccycle’s rear tire and the front of the SUV collided.

On the video, about two dozen riders then slowed, swarming the SUV and blocking it in. The driver, Alexian Lien, 33, of New York, who police say feared for his family also in the SUV, lurched it forward, plowing over another rider before heading north.

A chase of about 2.5 miles ensued, ending when the SUV exited the highway and got stuck in street traffic. The video showed a biker using his helmet to smash the driver's window. Police said the group then pulled Lien from the SUV and beat him, although that part isn't shown on the posted video. The police department confirmed the video, which by Wednesday evening had more than 5 million views on YouTube, is authentic.

Lien required stitches in his face. His wife and 2-year-old were not injured.

The biker struck, Edwin Mieses Jr., a Massachusetts resident, remained hospitalized Wednesday. His legs were broken and he has spinal injuries that will leave him paralyzed, his wife said. She said Mieses, not Lien, is the victim. At least one other biker was injured.

"Everyone wants to blame the bikers for something this man did," Dayana Mieses said.

Martin Trew, first officer of the North Jersey chapter of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club, condemned the bikers’ actions — from “terrorizing” the Liens to pulling wheelies on the highway. He said he has seen riders do dangerous stunts on the Garden State Parkway, weaving through 20 miles of traffic over the speed limit, but never in such large numbers.

“We would like to call ourselves ‘bikers,’ they’re none of those,” he said. “They’re basically thugs who happen to be riding motorbikes.”

Trew’s group, with members throughout North Jersey, mostly sticks to back roads, requires proper registration and stresses safe driving, he said, adding the New York City incident “puts all of us in a bad light.”

“People may see us, think we’re intimidating them and take the law unto themselves,” Trew said. “We’re certainly going to be very careful in the next couple of weeks where we don’t put ourselves in a dangerous situation.”

Police in the counties of Passaic and Bergen counties said they knew of no major conflicts with motorcyclists locally. Passaic County Sheriff Richard H. Berdnik said that if motorists find themselves in such a situation, they should avoid confrontation and head straight to a police station or hospital if possible.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said the motorcyclists were engaged in a periodic rally in which more than 1,000 bikers head for Times Square. He said police last year were caught by surprise by the event, which had no permit, but were aware of it this year and “did a fair amount of enforcement” to break up the procession. There were 15 other arrests and 55 motorcycles confiscated, he said.

This article contains material from the Associated Press and Boston.com.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/Pass....ODr4xviF.dpuf
Old 10-03-13, 05:52 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder what happens to the guy who recorded it all and let the footage appear online. Isn't that kind of like snitching?
Old 10-03-13, 06:18 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Wonder what happens to the guy who recorded it all and let the footage appear online. Isn't that kind of like snitching?
his fellow biker friends are probably disowning him right now...cops and the Lien's, also the public, are praising him for posting this as evidence

I don't know if he can be charged with anything though, maybe an accomplice to the situation? if taken to court, I'm sure he will be a main witness as he captured everything
Old 10-03-13, 06:29 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
I think they should leave that guy alone, without this video who knows is any would be charged and maybe the police would believe the bikers story.

Quick Reply: NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV