Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 10:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
I may be missing sumthing here??

From what I seen the RR driver hits a motorcyclist, theyre probably pissed off as anyone would be getting rear ended,so he he runs them over in an attempt to flee an accident? they then give chase and beat his ***?

uh, for one...if you rear-end anyone, you are at fault,you flee the scene...thats another charge. HOWEVER, you ran over other people who were in the area, paralyzed a guy and hospitalized others because u got scared?

The way I see it: SUV driver caused the issue and sadly injured more people because he feared for his family. However, If he cared about his wife and kid, he wouldnt have been billy bad *** and hit the motorcyclist in the first place.

what made him think it would be ok to hit a biker...who is amongst MANY friends? He's an idiot

too bad, so sad...street justice...dont run over people with cars and you wont get ur *** beat.

yeah, they were wrong to hold up traffic,but he was wrong taking the law into his own hands and hitting someone with an SUV.

You cant pick a fight and then claim victem when u get your *** beat. LoL!!

At teh end of the day. Those involved with the beat down should be charged and punished, but the suv driver should be facing charges as well.

You're missing a lot.
Watch the videos and see who instigated the situation.
Also why the driver in the RR tried to get away.
Old 10-03-13, 10:17 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I seen the RR driver hits a motorcyclist, theyre probably pissed off as anyone would be getting rear ended,so he he runs them over in an attempt to flee an accident? they then give chase and beat his ***?

uh, for one...if you rear-end anyone, you are at fault,you flee the scene...thats another charge. HOWEVER, you ran over other people who were in the area, paralyzed a guy and hospitalized others because u got scared?

The way I see it: SUV driver caused the issue and sadly injured more people because he feared for his family. However, If he cared about his wife and kid, he wouldnt have been billy bad *** and hit the motorcyclist in the first place.

what made him think it would be ok to hit a biker...who is amongst MANY friends? He's an idiot

too bad, so sad...street justice...dont run over people with cars and you wont get ur *** beat.

yeah, they were wrong to hold up traffic,but he was wrong taking the law into his own hands and hitting someone with an SUV.

You cant pick a fight and then claim victem when u get your *** beat. LoL!!

At teh end of the day. Those involved with the beat down should be charged and punished, but the suv driver should be facing charges as well.
You are missing a lot. The guy who got hit was at fault, he stopped in front of a 3 ton SUV after jumping in front of it. He was charged for reckless driving etc.. The RR was not at fault for hitting this Einstein who thought a motorcycle was immune to a 60000 lb SUV

Then the RR driver was waiting for the cops to come but the illegal bikers wanted to attack him because they know popo is bad news for them.

While in RR guy thinks, no police here so I need to get to safety while the other Einstein now more like Stephen Hawkins thinks his 400 lb bike can stop a 6000 lb RR it can't.

So you are missing quite a bit.
Old 10-03-13, 10:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

no doubt that this guy driving a Range Rover was a small factor into the harassment. You can imagine thugs like this hating on people in expensive cars.

you actually did miss a lot, review the thread please

if I cut right in front of you, slam the brakes, and you hit me, you're at fault? No thats deliberately causing an accident.
Old 10-03-13, 10:29 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Family says SUV driver in biker clash was 'placed in grave danger' by mob

The wife of an SUV driver who was beaten after a clash with a swarm of bikers on a New York City highway said Thursday that she and her husband were out celebrating their anniversary when they were “placed in grave danger by a mob of reckless and violent motorcyclists.”

In a statement released through a law firm on behalf of the family, the wife of driver Alexian Lien said that her husband “was forced under the circumstances to take the actions that he did in order to protect the lives of our entire family.”

“We know in our hearts that we could not have done anything differently,” she said.

The family expressed sympathy for rider Edwin "Jay" Mieses — who was run over and possibly paralyzed when Lien sped from the scene in a panic — but said there was no other choice because they were "faced with a life-threatening situation."

"Our fear for our lives was confirmed when the incident ended with the ruthless and brutal attack on my husband, me, and, most importantly, our two-year-old child," the statement said.

"We believe that anyone faced with this sort of grave danger would have taken the same course of action in order to protect their family."

The highway clash, on Sunday, was recorded and has been viewed about 6 million times on YouTube.

Video shows the bikers racing around Lien's Range Rover. One of them slowed down right in front of him and had his back tire clipped, police said.

The riders then began attacking Lien's vehicle and chased him for for 50 blocks before cornering him, smashing his windows, yanking him out and beating him in front of his wife and child.

Mieses, 32, was struck when Lien raced away from the pack after the initial fender bender. He is in critical condition with a crushed spine and two broken legs and may be paralyzed. He has hired a media-savvy lawyer, Gloria Allred.

“There’s no hope for his back,” Mieses’ wife, Dayana, told reporters earlier this week. “They broke it in two different places, so he will be forever, forever paralyzed.”

Mieses' family has not said whether they are taking legal action against Lien.

The NYPD has not charged Lien, and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly has suggested that if he feared for his life, he may have been within his legal rights to speed away from the scene, hitting other bikers surrounding his SUV in the process.

The biker who slowed down in front of Lien, Christopher Cruz, 28, of Passaic, N.J., was charged with reckless driving and unlawful imprisonment. His lawyer told reporters he had committed no crime.

Another biker was arrested by police after he was seen hitting the Range Rover with his hands, but prosecutors declined to bring charges and sources said he did not take part in the assault.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/f...-danger-by-mob
Old 10-03-13, 10:30 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Plus as I just pointed out a few posts up, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz that you are allowed to use deadly force if you are being attacked. Goetz only charged with illegal possession of a gun but he's still alive. It's some kind of protection from attack. Luckily a lot of witnesses and a lot of video footage of this incident.

And surely you noticed or maybe you also missed that a lot of these bikes were dirt bikes may not have been road legal or registered and were missing ID tags and the riders were wearing masks etc,,

This is not some do gooder on a motorcycle who got his *** taped in traffic look at the tape
Old 10-03-13, 10:34 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

what nbc news has to say about these bikers...

A new and dangerous breed of motorcycle gang is popping up around the country, say authorities, as packs of young bikers on high-speed “crotch rockets” barrel down crowded highways performing stunts, weaving through traffic and taunting police, all for a few minutes of Internet glory.

These “crotch rocket” gangs film their exploits, which can include altercations with motorists and the law, and then post videos on YouTube. Police in New York City have arrested several men after video surfaced on the Web of a Sunday incident in which bikers surrounded and beat an SUV driver in Manhattan. The bikers had been taking part in an underground event called Hollywood Stuntz, in which bikers assembled en masse on city streets to perform wheelies and other stunts.

And police say they have trouble stopping the bikers, because their machines are so fast and maneuverable that it’s unsafe to chase them through traffic.

Sgt. Brian Brophy of the New York State Police said that officers will stop pursuits of fast bikes when it’s judged too dangerous. “As a trooper you end up terminating these pursuits a lot yourself, for the safety of the public, yourself and the biker,” he said.

“You can’t chase them because they’re crazy,” said former New York and Los Angeles chief of police Bill Bratton, now an NBC News analyst. “They endanger themselves and others.”

The packs have grown as motorcycle registrations have risen – 30 percent between 1990 and 2008 – and as new, high-performance machines that make tricks easier to perform have become available. But these packs, which sometimes come together based on little more than a Tweet or a Facebook post, are not true bike gangs in the old-school sense of the word, explains a federal law enforcement agent. They’re not rooted in neighborhoods, involved in dealing drugs or engaged in long-running feuds with other gangs, like the traditional groups that law enforcement refer to as Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs or OMGs.

The “OMGs” are usually white and sometimes use violence, including shooting or stabbing, to further their cause, explained the law enforcement official. He said that the sport bike crowd skews younger, is loosely affiliated and is racially diverse.

While these free-form, instant gangs may not be predisposed to violence, he said, a “mob mentality” can take over if they feel threatened, as happened in New York.

Mostly, what they want to do is tricks. “They are daredevil types into high-performance bikes,” he said, “a younger generation into the rush of high speeds and splitting lanes.”

And they want to do their tricks on public highways, with cameras rolling. Combine social media, YouTube and cheap, versatile handheld cameras, and you have a recipe for packs of bikers to assemble quickly, take over public streets and put the results on the Web for the world to see.

In amateur videos posted on the Internet over the past several years, packs of bikers can be seen shutting down a California freeway for a marriage proposal, blocking the Brooklyn Bridge and harassing a driver in Queens.

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...ng-police?lite
Old 10-03-13, 10:35 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 10-03-13, 10:39 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You're missing a lot.
Watch the videos and see who instigated the situation.
Also why the driver in the RR tried to get away.
Originally Posted by rai
You are missing a lot. The guy who got hit was at fault, he stopped in front of a 3 ton SUV after jumping in front of it. He was charged for reckless driving etc.. The RR was not at fault for hitting this Einstein who thought a motorcycle was immune to a 60000 lb SUV

Then the RR driver was waiting for the cops to come but the illegal bikers wanted to attack him because they know popo is bad news for them.

While in RR guy thinks, no police here so I need to get to safety while the other Einstein now more like Stephen Hawkins thinks his 400 lb bike can stop a 6000 lb RR it can't.

So you are missing quite a bit.
Who's the Einstein, the guy who made the suv stop with a bike or the guy who decides to hit a biker with his wife and kid in the car? I saw the vid where the bike slowed down in front of the SUV. Legal or not, he shouldve just stopped...he was pissed (rightfully so) that the bikers were holding up traffic and had an Einstein moment and decided he was pissed and not stopping.

I get it...but he wasnt thinking 2 steps ahead, nor thinking about his family.

They were wrong but He has to take some responsibility for what happened as well

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
no doubt that this guy driving a Range Rover was a small factor into the harassment. You can imagine thugs like this hating on people in expensive cars.

you actually did miss a lot, review the thread please

if I cut right in front of you, slam the brakes, and you hit me, you're at fault? No thats deliberately causing an accident.
Miss me with that...TRUST ME, you have no idea what type of people are involved with SideShows. Anybody can be a "thug" when times or situations call for it...look at the keyboard warriors in this thread. The SUV driver pretty much rolled up into the twilight zone....and freaked out. I feel bad for his fam and the people he ran over

oh, one of your cars would never be in front of mine to begin with
Old 10-03-13, 10:40 AM
rai
Lead Lap

My hope is that from now on, these stunt riders will rent a track or an airfield for their amusement.

Also, maybe law enforcement will get tighter control over illegal sport bikes such as by electronic tracking, confiscation of any bike not displaying tags etc.. And revocation of driving privileges and hopefully some kind of civic duty or rehabilitation classes until they can figure out how to play well with others.
Old 10-03-13, 10:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormforge
Family says SUV driver in biker clash was 'placed in grave danger' by mob

The wife of an SUV driver who was beaten after a clash with a swarm of bikers on a New York City highway said Thursday that she and her husband were out celebrating their anniversary when they were “placed in grave danger by a mob of reckless and violent motorcyclists.”

In a statement released through a law firm on behalf of the family, the wife of driver Alexian Lien said that her husband “was forced under the circumstances to take the actions that he did in order to protect the lives of our entire family.”

“We know in our hearts that we could not have done anything differently,” she said.

The family expressed sympathy for rider Edwin "Jay" Mieses — who was run over and possibly paralyzed when Lien sped from the scene in a panic — but said there was no other choice because they were "faced with a life-threatening situation."

"Our fear for our lives was confirmed when the incident ended with the ruthless and brutal attack on my husband, me, and, most importantly, our two-year-old child," the statement said.

"We believe that anyone faced with this sort of grave danger would have taken the same course of action in order to protect their family."

The highway clash, on Sunday, was recorded and has been viewed about 6 million times on YouTube.

Video shows the bikers racing around Lien's Range Rover. One of them slowed down right in front of him and had his back tire clipped, police said.

The riders then began attacking Lien's vehicle and chased him for for 50 blocks before cornering him, smashing his windows, yanking him out and beating him in front of his wife and child.

Mieses, 32, was struck when Lien raced away from the pack after the initial fender bender. He is in critical condition with a crushed spine and two broken legs and may be paralyzed. He has hired a media-savvy lawyer, Gloria Allred.

“There’s no hope for his back,” Mieses’ wife, Dayana, told reporters earlier this week. “They broke it in two different places, so he will be forever, forever paralyzed.”

Mieses' family has not said whether they are taking legal action against Lien.

The NYPD has not charged Lien, and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly has suggested that if he feared for his life, he may have been within his legal rights to speed away from the scene, hitting other bikers surrounding his SUV in the process.

The biker who slowed down in front of Lien, Christopher Cruz, 28, of Passaic, N.J., was charged with reckless driving and unlawful imprisonment. His lawyer told reporters he had committed no crime.

Another biker was arrested by police after he was seen hitting the Range Rover with his hands, but prosecutors declined to bring charges and sources said he did not take part in the assault.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/f...-danger-by-mob

That woman just loves being in front of the camera.
Old 10-03-13, 10:48 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Great, she is going to make it another Zimmerman showcase.
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormforge
what nbc news has to say about these bikers...

[I]A new and dangerous breed of motorcycle gang is popping up around the country, say authorities, as packs of young bikers on high-speed “crotch rockets” barrel down crowded highways performing stunts, weaving through traffic and taunting police, all for a few minutes of Internet glory.........................http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...ng-police?lite
whelp, theres part of the problem right there....its NOTHING NEW. I went to my first one over a decade ago...whats new is the fact that a pedestrian got involved with a SideShow

Thread title should read: SIDESHOW GOES WRONG!!

Legal or not...people have doing "SideShows" all over the US for MANY,MANY years. If you dont know the culture, use google and you'll see what its about.

some people have gotten paid to attend them ; ) and its pretty big when they are organized.

Typically (in the Bay where I went) the first group stunts . while the rear group blocks normal traffic...they switch off on the next run. It has nothing to do with "Gangs" or them putting the public in danger. They take their lives in their own hands,which is bad enough...but it happens.

Most of the time its really late at night in isolated locations, much like street racing back in the late 90's / early 2000's

Cars and bikes usually have their own events. Ive seen bikers get hit trying to clown with cars at a sideshow...not pretty.

** Stunting/clownin= bike or car tricks

I just dont want people (whose names I see online) get involved like the RR driver did. They arent gangs and now you know what these groups are trying to do.

Legal or not, you now know whats up when u see a group of cars (or bikes) blocking a street or freeway...let them be stupid and carry on with your life. No need to be Billy BadAss..prolly not gonna win that fight.

Its hella old to me...which is funny to read about this "new breed of gangs"
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by praetor
Great, she is going to make it another Zimmerman showcase.
With the same results....
Old 10-03-13, 10:53 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeap! She's definitely in it just for herself. I must admit she's a great pot stirrer.
Old 10-03-13, 10:54 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

adult coward stalks kid,picks fight,gets *** kicked by said kid,claims self defense in shooting,goes into hiding for the rest of his life....

LoL!! I'll pass...start a fight, take ur *** kicking like a man,move on with ur life....hows that sound?

Quick Reply: NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV