Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-13, 05:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Cruz (brake checker) was not bumped that hard or even bumped at all? Nor was Mieses helping anyone injured?

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/217012.php

Bikers Versus SUV
A continuation and update to THIS post and THIS post.

There is a lot of misinformation coming out about biker attack in New York last week, much of it from the media. (Click the links above if you know know which I mean.) In this post I want to address the claim that Alexian Lien knocked a rider over and that the most seriously injured biker, Jay Mieses, was only stopping to help a fellow rider.

The original video is at the bottom of this post. After viewing each of the still frames below and reading my commentary, you will have a much better understand about what is happening in the video and how some are misrepresenting the incident. You can click the image to enlarge in a new window.

At the start of the video, one thing you should note is that Lien's Range Rover is ahead of the motorcycles. Maybe not all of them, but ahead of the main group. This is important because many bikers are claiming Lien drove through their group from behind. They claim he was speeding and driving recklessly, which is why they wanted him to stop.

Here at the beginning, we see several bikers approaching Mr. Lien's Range Rover. One biker identified as Christopher Cruz pushes into Lien's lane. Lien allows him to enter in front of him.

Cruz accelerates widening the gap behind himself and Lien's SUV. Cruz looks back then applies his brakes. (You can see the brake light come on in the video, especially when in full screen.) The bike abruptly slows.

Lien is, no doubt, checking all the bikes now crowding around his vehicle. He brakes quickly, but not fast enough. The SUV apparently makes light contact with the bikes rear wheel. The entire time, Cruz is looking back at the SUV.

Cruz apparently doesn't know the SUV touched him. It is possible no contact was ever made! Cruz continues riding for a moment. Lien slows to a stop. The other bikers begin slowing down and looking back, and so does Cruz.

Now Cruz, reportedly injured with two broken legs, begins "walking" his bike back to the SUV. (That is, he remains straddling the bike while rolling backward using his feet to push.)

As Cruz makes his way back to the SUV, other bikers stop and begin dismounting their bikes. Jay Mieses is one of those bikers.

Cruz has reached the SUV. He gets off his bike and approaches the driver's side door. Mieses walks toward the SUV as well. His family is claiming he stopped to help and injured biker, but up until this point, no bikers have been injured and none are in need of help. Notice how many bikers are stopping around the SUV.

Note the time on this still frame, because when you watch the video, you can see Cruz take a swing at the door or the window of the SUV. (You may need to watch in full screen to see it.) Other bikers have surrounded the Range Rover. At least one tire has been slashed. Mieses is one of many in standing in front of the vehicle.

Feeling threatened and concerned about the safety of his family, Alexian Lien decides to flee the situation. Jay Mieses is run down and seriously wounded. He is not helping anyone, he is not offering aid to anyone, he is blocking Lien's SUV.

I hope these still frames make it a little easier to understand exactly what happened. There is a lot of misinformation out there, even by experienced journalists.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-04-13 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 05:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

standup citizen just got more standup. Think driving without a license was the worst of his offenses?

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion...riminal_record

Run-over Mass. biker has long criminal record

By:
O'Ryan Johnson

The Lawrence motor*cyclist struck and paralyzed as a desperate SUV driver tried to escape the rage of other bikers in New York on Sunday has a six-page criminal record that began at age 12 with a negligent driving charge and includes jail time for drugs, guns, resisting arrest and other convictions, according to court records.

Edwin Mieses, 32, never got a driver’s license in the Bay State, the Registry of Motor Vehicles said, but he was frequently nabbed behind the wheel, and even sentenced to jail for driving without a license, court records show. Mieses has a pending case out of Lawrence District Court for driving suspended, subsequent offense, said Carrie Kimball Monihan, spokeswoman for the Essex County District Attorney’s Office. Mieses also has 15 guilty findings for criminal offenses including distribution of cocaine, possession of a firearm without a permit, knowingly receiving stolen property, resisting arrest and several motor vehicle violations, court records show.

Mieses was sentenced to jail in 2004 for distribution of cocaine, in 2001 for operating without a license, in 2000 for possession of a firearm, and in 1999 for possession of marijuana, receiving stolen property, destruction of property and attaching plates, according to court records.

Attempts yesterday to reach Mieses’ girlfriend, mother, father and lawyer were unsuccessful.

A Facebook page called “Justice for Jay Meezee” says Mieses was paralyzed after he was run over and remains hospitalized. Mieses has been identified by The Associated Press and other media outlets as the biker who was run over.

The confrontation spiraled from a minor crash between a motorbike and the SUV. A biker’s helmet video showed one biker smashing SUV driver Alexian Lien’s window with his helmet, pulling him out and beating him. Lien’s wife, in the SUV with their child, said yesterday they feared for their lives.
Old 10-04-13, 05:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
One less thug on the road, the world is a better place.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
standup citizen just got more standup. Think driving without a license was the worst of his offenses?

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion...riminal_record
2 great posts!
Old 10-04-13, 06:14 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:Originally Posted by geko29 View Post

Apparently nobody can read. 25 total people were booked in Andover on August 15th, ONE of whom was Edwin Mieses, for operating a motor vehicle with a revoked license. The Assault & Battery charges are against 4 different people, 3 of them women and the last one an Eastern European man.

Originally Posted by Glashub
You're right. That was just the one time he got caught. He got away with ****e 24 times.
I knew it. It's always the case. Mieses is a bad guy
Old 10-04-13, 08:17 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ..........

I became a bike rider around 4-5 years ago, and I can say that when riding with a pack we all TRY to protect each other because riding a bike is no joke and we are wide open to just about anything life and circumstances can throw at you. We look out for each other!

Riding a bike and driving a car has the same laws. Right??

With all of this said, I am not sure what happened BEFORE the video started rolling but I can say from experience and from both driving my car and riding my bike that if a car, truck, bike etc.. follows me too close I WILL BRAKE CHECK, this to tell the driver that "hey you too close pass me or slow the F down".

By doing so [and I am still talking about the brake check].....that does not gives permission to any driver to clip me and put my life in danger right?

So far SUV driver is at fault regardless of what have happened before he clipped Mr. Cruz he has NO RIGHT TO CLIP HIM and PUT HIM IN a life threat situation. There is NO excuse for that, he has broken the law by doing so! The excuse that he was surrounded by bikers on a multiple lane highway well he could also been surrounded by cars so what?? He had many choices at the time. Slowing down was an option and maybe park to the side and let the riders pass by, windows closed and locked doors if he was in such fear.

So the SUV driver did clipped the motorcycle from what I read and kind of see on the video and by doing so this becomes an official accident he now needs to stop. The pack of riders will ALSO stop because that is just how it goes (remember when I said we all look out for each other when riding)

I am sure they surrounded the SUV and possibly the suv driver was told off for doing what he did and that may have scared the driver but still there was an accident to attend. The driver had the choice to say hey guys I want no trouble the police and ambulance has been called and they are on their way we will make this right, it was an accident [although I know it was not because he clipped him intentionally just as the rider brake checked him intentionally]. I am sure they would reasoned knowing the police was called and apologizing to them. If anything he should have also mentioned I have my 2 year old daughter and wife and they are scared.

So now the SUV driver not only clipped and caused an accident which by the way I read he broke that riders leg so now he fears for his life and his family and decided to run over the bikers???

Some people say they slashed the SUV tires before this occurred but let me tell you that SUV took of flying and continued to do so for what looks miles and miles with not one piece of rubber flying off or the driver loosing control so I say BS about the slashed tires during this first stop

So far the SUV driver is 100% guilty!! He caused an accident and left the scene causing another accident and leaving again!!!

Yeah yeah the driver said he feared for his life and his family what if he was wrong????? We were not there to tell.

The riders now decide to go after him and whatever happened during that chase and the end of it is all the bikers fault. I am totally against all of that. The riders had no business doing what they did. If they would have left the suv driver leave the scene as he did twice I am 100% sure the judge / law would have hammered him.

So now its game, the driver took down a few riders and the riders beat him and damaged his suv.

I have a felling the suv driver tried to be cocky with the riders which instigated this whole mess. His good looks don’t fool me.

At the end of the day this is very sad news but I am 100% positive that this would all been avoided, bad decision by both.

The riders may loose this one because of the bad image but up to the point before they took the law on their on hands it was the drivers fault.

FLAME SUIT ON!!
Old 10-04-13, 08:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the pack of motorcycles came to the RR from behind. What exactly happened before? If something did happen before to the bikers, where is the video? Conveniently missing, just like how the video conveniently stops before the driver gets beaten.

so nothing is wrong with his car being attacked while his wife and child are in it, tires slashed, windows broken. They were justified in doing this?

There is irrefutable evidence that its the bikers fault. How come the cops didnt arrest the SUV driver. You do realize brake checking means you are intentionally trying to cause an accident but yea its the SUV drivers fault. Cruz has no right to cut in front of SUVs and brake check them.

you clearly did not watch the video or you imagined things that didnt happen.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-04-13 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 08:50 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
I became a bike rider around 4-5 years ago, and I can say that when riding with a pack we all TRY to protect each other because riding a bike is no joke and we are wide open to just about anything life and circumstances can throw at you. We look out for each other!

With all of this said, I am not sure what happened BEFORE the video started rolling but I can say from experience and from both driving my car and riding my bike that if a car, truck, bike etc.. follows me too close I WILL BRAKE CHECK, this to tell the driver that "hey you too close pass me or slow the F down".

By doing so [and I am still talking about the brake check].....that does not gives permission to any driver to clip me and put my life in danger right?

So far SUV driver is at fault regardless of what have happened before he clipped Mr. Cruz he has NO RIGHT TO CLIP HIM and PUT HIM IN a life threat situation. There is NO excuse for that, he has broken the law by doing so! The excuse that he was surrounded by bikers on a multiple lane highway well he could also been surrounded by cars so what?? He had many choices at the time. Slowing down was an option and maybe park to the side and let the riders pass by, windows closed and locked doors if he was in such fear.

So the SUV driver did clipped the motorcycle from what I read and kind of see on the video and by doing so this becomes an official accident he now needs to stop. The pack of riders will ALSO stop because that is just how it goes (remember when I said we all look out for each other when riding)

I am sure they surrounded the SUV and possibly the suv driver was told off for doing what he did and that may have scared the driver but still there was an accident to attend. The driver had the choice to say hey guys I want no trouble the police and ambulance has been called and they are on their way we will make this right, it was an accident [although I know it was not because he clipped him intentionally just as the rider brake checked him intentionally]. I am sure they would reasoned knowing the police was called and apologizing to them. If anything he should have also mentioned I have my 2 year old daughter and wife and they are scared.

So now the SUV driver not only clipped and caused an accident which by the way I read he broke that riders leg so now he fears for his life and his family and decided to run over the bikers???

Some people say they slashed the SUV tires before this occurred but let me tell you that SUV took of flying and continued to do so for what looks miles and miles with not one piece of rubber flying off or the driver loosing control so I say BS about the slashed tires during this first stop

So far the SUV driver is 100% guilty!! He caused an accident and left the scene causing another accident and leaving again!!!

Yeah yeah the driver said he feared for his life and his family what if he was wrong????? We were not there to tell.

The riders now decide to go after him and whatever happened during that chase and the end of it is all the bikers fault. I am totally against all of that. The riders had no business doing what they did. If they would have left the suv driver leave the scene as he did twice I am 100% sure the judge / law would have hammered him.
How do you know he clipped him intentionally? Let me guess.. you're assuming.. If I would have such an expensive car like that and surrounded by 50 hooligans with my family in the car not only I wouldn;t want to damage my car but I wouldn;t want to put my family in danger.
So now its game, the driver took down a few riders and the riders beat him and damaged his suv.

I have a felling the suv driver tried to be cocky with the riders which instigated this whole mess. His good looks don’t fool me.

At the end of the day this is very sad news but I am 100% positive that this would all been avoided, bad decision by both.

The riders may loose this one because of the bad image but up to the point before they took the law on their on hands it was the drivers fault.

FLAME SUIT ON!!
I think the police disagree with you. The driver has not been charge. Just because you've been on motorcyle and in the car doesn;t give you more credibility than the police. The bikers were a bunch of hooligans and that is the truth. They also got what they deserved and thay's the truth. I think you're assuming too much. With your family in the car surrounded by 50 hooligans in a very expensive car would you put your family in danger and damage your car INTENTIONALLY.. If he could break he would, he couldn;t stop in time. I think you lack logic and common sense.

Last edited by keyframe13; 10-04-13 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 08:59 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Frame by frame of what happened.

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/217012.php
Old 10-04-13, 09:09 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far SUV driver is at fault regardless of what have happened before he clipped Mr. Cruz he has NO RIGHT TO CLIP HIM and PUT HIM IN a life threat situation. There is NO excuse for that, he has broken the law by doing so!
The excuse that he was surrounded by bikers on a multiple lane highway well he could also been surrounded by cars so what?? He had many choices at the time. Slowing down was an option and maybe park to the side and let the riders pass by, windows closed and locked doors if he was in such fear.

FLAME SUIT ON!!
from the video's it shows the biker purposefully cutting in front the RR, then looking back while driving and INTENTIONALLY brake checking the RR driver so he could hit him...this isn't the RR dirver's fault in no way. the biker, Cruz, was staring down the driver throughout this whole process to prove some sort of point.

also I like how everyone who sides with the bikers fail to highten the acknowledgement of the bikers beating up on the car, slashing his tire(s) and trying to forcefully open the RR drivers door after the bump to Cruz's rear tire. it wasnt as if the Lien's didnt call the police already, the police were very late in responding to the initial calls while on the highway for the biker's reckless driving and if Lien would have gotten out and waited for the cops, or even tried to discuss the situation, he would of had the same result done to him that we say when he got stuck in traffic and they pulled him out the vehicle.

funny how it's only riders (some riders i should say) are favoring the bikers side of this incident. it was fully provoked by the bikers, there's no way around that wrong is wrong, no matter how you are affiliated/could relate to the situation

Last edited by baddis es; 10-04-13 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 10:05 AM
blklegend
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Brake Checking in New York State is illegal.
Old 10-04-13, 10:11 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

I can say from experience and from both driving my car and riding my bike that if a car, truck, bike etc.. follows me too close I WILL BRAKE CHECK, this to tell the driver that "hey you too close pass me or slow the F down".
Obviously you do not have the experience nor did you ever try doing a brake check a few feet in front of a moving 6000lbs SUV. Do that next time with your bike and report back your experience.
Old 10-04-13, 10:19 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

This precisely tells what happens in the first few seconds of the video.
Very good read and this is why people need to pay very close attention to the minor details.

I can understand that. They will still look out for each other despite being clearly wrong.

Wtf are you talking about? If you actually watched the video and studied each frame then you can clearly see the RR does not come in contact with the Motorcyclist PERIOD, until the Motorcyclist brake checks. Plz tell me the part where the car "clips" the motorcycle.

What if it wasn't a deep slash? Do you know how they slashed it? Do you know where they slash?

I am sure they surrounded the SUV and possibly the suv driver was told off for doing what he did and that may have scared the driver but still there was an accident to attend.
How sure are you? You weren't there to witness it. You're just assuming they did. But the group itself is known for reckless acts and countless traffic violations. Again how sure are you?

A feeling he was being cocky? Wth.

Another person ignorant of the facts that are clearly present.
You clearly need to watch the video more and dissect each second of it.
Your missing many parts of it.
I do not see the part where the driver "clipped" the motorcyclist.
Old 10-04-13, 10:21 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blklegend
Brake Checking in New York State is illegal.
^^THIS. Bikers fault. End of story.
Old 10-04-13, 10:26 AM
Killer_IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by newr
Obviously you do not have the experience nor did you ever try doing a brake check a few feet in front of a moving 6000lbs SUV. Do that next time with your bike and report back your experience.
LMAO!!!
Well Jay is lonely sleeping by himself at the hospital. 5gears-IS can lay next to him "look out for each other".
Old 10-04-13, 10:33 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ..............

Originally Posted by newr
Trust me I have brake checked many vehicles with my own car and maybe twice with my bike.
Follow me too close and you will find out. I even brake checked a cop who pulled me over and I told him he was not within a safe distance so I did what I did to get him off. No warnings, no ticket.

Plain and simple the law is the law and no matter what the SUV driver had no business clipping the biker. The video clearly shows he had enough time to react and slow down but he refused to step off the gas pedal. That was his stance!!

Again I am with both sides but against the statement that this whole mess was all the riders fault.

He knew the bikes were not a match to his suv but forgot the bikes were gonna outrun his suv.

Sad sad situation but avoidable!!

Quick Reply: NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV