Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-13, 10:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer_IS
LMAO!!!
Well Jay is lonely sleeping by himself at the hospital. 5gears-IS can lay next to him "look out for each other".
Old 10-04-13, 10:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Trust me I have brake checked many vehicles with my own car and maybe twice with my bike.
Follow me too close and you will find out. I even brake checked a cop who pulled me over and I told him he was not within a safe distance so I did what I did to get him off. No warnings, no ticket.

Plain and simple the law is the law and no matter what the SUV driver had no business clipping the biker. The video clearly shows he had enough time to react and slow down but he refused to step off the gas pedal. That was his stance!!

Again I am with both sides but against the statement that this whole mess was all the riders fault.

He knew the bikes were not a match to his suv but forgot the bikes were gonna outrun his suv.

Sad sad situation but avoidable!!
Well no charges and even if he was charged,no jury would ever convict him.

It's amazing how a few here can somehow defend the actions of the bikers.
Old 10-04-13, 10:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

follows me too close I WILL BRAKE CHECK, this to tell the driver that "hey you too close pass me or slow the F down".

By doing so [and I am still talking about the brake check].....that does not gives permission to any driver to clip me and put my life in danger right?

if you brake check the car, and car hits you, it is cars fault? what in the world?

no wonder this happened then... you guys think you can do whatever you want... sorry dude, you got mowed down by RR.
Old 10-04-13, 10:40 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I became a bike rider around 4-5 years ago, and I can say that when riding with a pack we all TRY to protect each other because riding a bike is no joke and we are wide open to just about anything life and circumstances can throw at you. We look out for each other!

Riding a bike and driving a car has the same laws. Right??

With all of this said, I am not sure what happened BEFORE the video started rolling but I can say from experience and from both driving my car and riding my bike that if a car, truck, bike etc.. follows me too close I WILL BRAKE CHECK, this to tell the driver that "hey you too close pass me or slow the F down".

By doing so [and I am still talking about the brake check].....that does not gives permission to any driver to clip me and put my life in danger right?

So far SUV driver is at fault regardless of what have happened before he clipped Mr. Cruz he has NO RIGHT TO CLIP HIM and PUT HIM IN a life threat situation. There is NO excuse for that, he has broken the law by doing so! The excuse that he was surrounded by bikers on a multiple lane highway well he could also been surrounded by cars so what?? He had many choices at the time. Slowing down was an option and maybe park to the side and let the riders pass by, windows closed and locked doors if he was in such fear.

So the SUV driver did clipped the motorcycle from what I read and kind of see on the video and by doing so this becomes an official accident he now needs to stop. The pack of riders will ALSO stop because that is just how it goes (remember when I said we all look out for each other when riding)

I am sure they surrounded the SUV and possibly the suv driver was told off for doing what he did and that may have scared the driver but still there was an accident to attend. The driver had the choice to say hey guys I want no trouble the police and ambulance has been called and they are on their way we will make this right, it was an accident [although I know it was not because he clipped him intentionally just as the rider brake checked him intentionally]. I am sure they would reasoned knowing the police was called and apologizing to them. If anything he should have also mentioned I have my 2 year old daughter and wife and they are scared.

So now the SUV driver not only clipped and caused an accident which by the way I read he broke that riders leg so now he fears for his life and his family and decided to run over the bikers???

Some people say they slashed the SUV tires before this occurred but let me tell you that SUV took of flying and continued to do so for what looks miles and miles with not one piece of rubber flying off or the driver loosing control so I say BS about the slashed tires during this first stop

So far the SUV driver is 100% guilty!! He caused an accident and left the scene causing another accident and leaving again!!!

Yeah yeah the driver said he feared for his life and his family what if he was wrong????? We were not there to tell.

The riders now decide to go after him and whatever happened during that chase and the end of it is all the bikers fault. I am totally against all of that. The riders had no business doing what they did. If they would have left the suv driver leave the scene as he did twice I am 100% sure the judge / law would have hammered him.

So now its game, the driver took down a few riders and the riders beat him and damaged his suv.

I have a felling the suv driver tried to be cocky with the riders which instigated this whole mess. His good looks don’t fool me.

At the end of the day this is very sad news but I am 100% positive that this would all been avoided, bad decision by both.

The riders may loose this one because of the bad image but up to the point before they took the law on their on hands it was the drivers fault.

FLAME SUIT ON!!
I don't know what video *you* were watching but the one I saw over and over again made it pretty obvious that the bikers were at fault.
First of all, in the video I saw, it is painfully obvious that the biker not only brake checked the driver of the RR but went out of his way to literally "force" the RR driver to "bump him". If you can't see that, you're looking at a different video. It's also the reason why the biker was charged and not the RR driver.
Second, "pull over and let them pass" is the lamest thing I ever heard! Let's be clear, THE BIKERS HAD ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION ON PASSING. Their only concern was to stop the RR driver and create mayhem. To come to any other conclusion one would have to be blind, or looking at the wrong video.
Old 10-04-13, 10:43 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Well no charges and even if he was charged,no jury would ever convict him.

It's amazing how a few here can somehow defend the actions of the bikers.
While defending with very poor/ignorant reasoning and "assumptions".

A motorcycle can EASILY pass a car but why didn't they simply pass him? Clearly they are going faster since they manage to catch up but why slow down when they approach the RR? Sounds fishy to me.

Last edited by Sh1nra; 10-04-13 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 10:45 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trust me I have brake checked many vehicles with my own car and maybe twice with my bike.
Follow me too close and you will find out. I even brake checked a cop who pulled me over and I told him he was not within a safe distance so I did what I did to get him off. No warnings, no ticket.

Plain and simple the law is the law and no matter what the SUV driver had no business clipping the biker. The video clearly shows he had enough time to react and slow down but he refused to step off the gas pedal. That was his stance!!

Again I am with both sides but against the statement that this whole mess was all the riders fault.

He knew the bikes were not a match to his suv but forgot the bikes were gonna outrun his suv.

Sad sad situation but avoidable!!
You do know there were many other riders behind his rear bumper as well, also as the RR slowed down Cruz would slow down even more so he could get his brake check in. the video shows all these details...you make it seem like Lien was looking for trouble with the bikers when in fact, the bikers were looking to cause trouble from the onset.

First by trying to shut down a highway for stunts, then swarming around the RR because they were honked at for the wreckless driving on said highway, INTENTIONALLY cutting off the RR driver to then INTENTIONALLY brake check the RR driver (against NY STAT laws), then bringing the RR to a complete stop on a moving highway (did not know bikers were authorized to do such a thing), dismounting on the highway by the dozens, vandalizing the RR with their helmets and fist as well as slashing the front passenger tire…all this BEFORE Lien even made his flee due to the unsafe situation.
Old 10-04-13, 10:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sh1nra
While defending with very poor/ignorant reasoning and "assumptions".
Old 10-04-13, 10:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Foolish in the extreme is a guy on a 500 lb bike brake-checking someone in a 5,000 lb SUV. In that confrontation there will be only one winner. OK, maybe the guy in the cage gets a ticket, but the biker is smeared over a couple hundred feet of highway. No thanks. At that point it doesn't matter who's "right", only who survives.
Old 10-04-13, 10:50 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ......

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
^^THIS. Bikers fault. End of story.
Biker breaking the law does not constitutes getting hit on purpose by the suv and then fleeing the scene after taking down a few more riders sounds illegal to me.

Not sure about brake check being illegal in NY, just because someone here said so don't mean nothing. What does the law really says??

The 25 riders that were booked are innocent until proved guilty right??

Trust me this is going to be more difficult for the SUV driver than any of you expect.

We all thought OJ was guilty right????
Old 10-04-13, 10:52 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blklegend
Brake Checking in New York State is illegal.
Even NY's DMV driver manual tells you NOT to brake check:

Do not press your brakes to warn the offending driver - this could make a difficult situation become even more dangerous.

- under the section "Allowing Yourself Space"

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/dmanual/chapter08-manual.htm
Old 10-04-13, 10:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Biker breaking the law does not constitutes getting hit on purpose by the suv and then fleeing the scene after taking down a few more riders sounds illegal to me.

Not sure about brake check being illegal in NY, just because someone here said so don't mean nothing. What does the law really says??

Trust me this is going to be more difficult for the SUV driver than any of you expect.

yeah, how about no.

they got run over after they stopped the RR and started hitting the car, including slashing its tires.

i know so many riders and i never saw anyone behaving like this... it was pure gang mentality.
Old 10-04-13, 10:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Your argument is actually getting weaker.I thought that wasn't possible.
The brake check was done so the SUV would hit him.

The driver was beat up in the city where a few people stepped in to stop the attack.
What would have happened if the guy stopped on the highway without any good Samaritans around?

OJ?
Yes Karma is a biatch and he found out.
Old 10-04-13, 11:00 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't understand the case you're trying to make for the bikers, and against the RR driver, but comparing it to OJ's trial is definitely different ends of the spectrum...not to mention everything being used for the situation/case is captured on one of the biker's go-pro's for not only the jury, but the world to accurately put Cruz at fault for being the idiot he is in causing this incident to escalate and also causing his fellow biker to be left paralyzed.
Old 10-04-13, 11:02 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If that particular biker didn't brake check (which is illegal, and he's in custody for his actions right now) the whole situation wouldn't have happened. His stupidity caused this while mess. After the brake check you can see other bikers slash his tires and damaging his SUV. At that point the driver had every right to get his family out of danger.

I don't see any fault here on the SUV driver.
Old 10-04-13, 11:05 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Follow me too close and you will find out.
Very smart. Yes, I WILL SURELY find you under the SUV.

This type of mentality will get you hurt.. nobody else.

Let's see... regarless of who is at fault... a motor bike vs a SUV....

Try telling the judge it's the other driver's fault from the morgue.

Last edited by newr; 10-04-13 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV