Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 01:31 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
car insurance is not meant to cover the intent to harm a driver/passengers (slashing the tire)...not to mention his deductible probably would allow the driver of the RR paying out his pocket regardless for the bikers being idiots
Are you seriously going to debate the merits of money vs. injury/life?!
Old 10-01-13, 01:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
And brake checking someone warranted running over others potentially killing them? Was he in a bicycle or a 2 ton RR?
He was by himself with his wife and a 5 month old infant and 30 bikers.
You're wrong and the NYC PD and DA agree as no charges were filed against the driver of the RR.
Old 10-01-13, 01:32 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm an avid biker, 10+ years on 2 wheels. I saw the video of these clowns riding like asshats before the incident. The bikers were attacking the Rover. Driver feared for his and his family's life and took off. I would have done the same if I thought my wife and baby was in danger.
Old 10-01-13, 01:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

yet the RR couldn't call 911? I get it....
You've got to be kidding.
Don't you think the wife was calling 911 the whole time....
Old 10-01-13, 01:34 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
He was by himself with his wife and a 5 month old infant and 30 bikers.
You're wrong and the NYC PD and DA agree as no charges were filed against the driver of the RR.
Just because he wasn't charged now, doesn't mean he wasn't wrong and will be later. The case is being looked at more in depth by the DA.

And you're wrong... neenerrneeenerneeener
Old 10-01-13, 01:35 PM
praetor
Racer

The biker who started it has already been charged.
Old 10-01-13, 01:35 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You've got to be kidding.
Don't you think the wife was calling 911 the whole time....
i love cager double standards....the bikers should of called 911, which did not respond, yet the RR has every right to run over people....i sure hate to be around you guys when you're pissed or scared.
Old 10-01-13, 01:36 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RR did call 911 to report the bikers driving erratically, then this happened.

Are you suggesting that the RR's actions to run over bikers was justifiable? Then what happened to the RR driver aftewards was just a quid pro quo?!!
picture this, a buncha thugs on bike taunt, brake check you, instigate aggression on you, force you into a dangerous situation, stop you, surround you and your family, start beating on your vehicle, slashing your tires, youre just going to sit there or are you going to get out of there? Whos more important your family or these thugs? The bikers escalated this by acting stupid, taunting this guy, then surrounding him with their mob mentality. What did the SUV driver do to start this? The brake checker was just charged with reckless endangerment and reckless endangerment of a child with his shennigans.

Why do you think the NYPD refused to charge the driver, because it was justified self defense. If he was so wrong why didnt the NYPD charge him? For some reason you just want to believe these bikers were in the right despite the blatant evidence. Yet the police dont think so and they just went on an arrest and confiscation spree on this group. The moron who posted this video thought he could draw sympathy but when it showed the truth that the bikers instigated everything it backfired.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A driver of a sport utility vehicle was injured Sunday after he was attacked by a group of motorcyclists in Manhattan, police said.

A more than six-minute video of the disturbing confrontation was posted on YouTube on Monday morning. It appeared to be taken from a camera mounted on a biker’s helmet.

The video starts with dozens of bikers seen speeding up to a Range Rover on the Henry Hudson Parkway. One of the bikers can be seen slowing down after pulling in front of the car.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said the SUV then accidentally hit the motorcycle. Then, about 30 seconds into the video, the bikes all come to a complete stop on the highway, surrounding the Range Rover.

That’s when an unidentified biker can be seen getting off his bike and walking toward the SUV as the other motorcyclists look on.

“They take their helmets and they start to dent his car, and apparently his tires are slashed there,” Kelly said.

The SUV then hits the gas, plowing over three motorcyclists and leaving one of the bikers with a broken leg.
not justified huh?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-01-13 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-01-13, 01:38 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

i love cager double standards....the bikers should of called 911, which did not respond, yet the RR has every right to run over people....i sure hate to be around you guys when you're pissed or scared.
The last thing the bikers want in that situation before the running over that biker was a cop on the scene.
The bikers shut down a major highway to taunt and damage someone's vehicle and maybe more if the driver didn't try to get out of the situation.

Put me in that situation with you and I'll ran your *** over..
Old 10-01-13, 01:38 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yet the RR couldn't call 911? I get it....
He did. Do you even know what's all about?!

Here http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-rage-run-ins/

Police said the driver of the SUV, 33-year-old Alexian Lien, had his wife and infant daughter inside the car at the time of the incident. The driver had called 911 to report the bikers were driving erratically, police said.
Old 10-01-13, 01:41 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you seriously going to debate the merits of money vs. injury/life?!
no, the debate isn't on the latter but the initial part of my post...the latter addresses the driver of the RR still being responsible for the costs, where you believe the insurance would randomly pick it up

I can see you indicating to look with a blind eye and move along after the brake check, however I wonder how you plan to escape the situation when your vehicle is boxed in by bikers ready to fight you after they've made you stop on a highway...bikers were wrong, stop trying to defend them
Old 10-01-13, 01:46 PM
ST430
Pole Position

It looks like everyone has their take, so I won't debate further. As I said, I do NOT condone the actions by the bikers, but think cooler heads could of prevailed to de-escalate the situation. I see many things that went wrong in this situation, but find it questionable that running over bikers is justifiable. In this day and age where people are quick to blame, hurt, or kill others, I rather just make wiser decisions then and only then take actions IF it absolutely warranted it.
Old 10-01-13, 01:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Bad situation caused by the bikers.
Who by the way are supposed to have a permit when riding with that many people.
At least that was said in a TV report today.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-01-13 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-01-13, 01:51 PM
praetor
Racer

It's so easy to sit here and say I would have done this or that. Just stay cool while a bunch of angry bikers are attacking your car coming after you and your family. Let's just talk it out bros. But if I was in his shoes with my wife and baby in the car, I would have done the same thing. And that's why the bikers were found to be at fault.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/...on-suv-driver/
Old 10-01-13, 01:52 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly don't know how people are confusing self defense with retaliation.

When the biker brake checked the RR, he had no where to go. He was boxed in on all sides. If he braked, he would've hit the bikes behind him. It was lose lose lose all the way around.

The bikers have been reckless during their entire ride. It culminated in this forced accident. This is why the biker who brake checked is getting so many charges.

If you had a wife/husband and kid in the car and something like this happened to you, would you just sit there and accept your fate in their hands? Would you wait for the police who aren't responding to your calls while your car is being dented and tires slashed? Or would you at least try to make an escape and protect your family? I know lots of bikers and car enthusiasts. Everyone I know is siding with the SUV driver in this particular case.

To the parents of the injured/paralyzed biker: I understand you feel the need to fight for your son and his injuries but, he's an adult and should take responsibility for his participation in this terrible incident. He was guilty by association and or participation.

Quick Reply: NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV