Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sept 2013 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-13, 05:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but the others you mentioned, i think market wise they do go after more different audience, compared to gs vs es
Oh?

Well the buyer of a C-Class is not looking at a GS, but they are certainly going to consider the CLA - same audience.

And an A6 buyer won't be shopping for a A8, but they will consider the A7 - same audience.
Old 10-08-13, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,963 Posts

As much as I love my GS, I will admit that rear seat room is tight. 3 adults in the back is a no go, and even with 4 room behind the seat for knees is tight. My 2010 ES by example had no issues in the rear seats, and the 2013 ES certainly would not. Now...don't get me wrong I likely will never drive an ES again now that I have the GS.

I think the main reason for the GS' comparatively low sales is that they have the ES. That non-enthusiast buyer that wanders in looking for a "midsize sedan" buys the ES at Lexus, and they buy a 528 or a E350 or A6 if they are at those dealers. Look at the A6 vs the A7 and how low the A7's sales figures are, its the vehicle in the lineup that really only an enthusiast is going to pony up for over the A6.

If Lexus did away with the ES and added a lower priced entry to the GS line that could be had around $50k their sales figures would be a lot more competitive. Of course, they aren't going to do that.

I will tell ya what though, I am seeing 4GS's everywhere now just within the past 2-3 months. They are breaking through. I see at least one every day now.

As for the E class...they have a successful coupe as well as the sedans, plus the wagon. Even if you say "The V8 is only 400 units, the wagon is only 300 units, the AMG is only 100 units, the coupe is only 1,000 units. Right there is 1800 units. You subtract that from the high sales volume and you have volume similar to the 5 series. The 5 series has four engine options, a wagon. Say wagon sales are 300 units, the M5 sells 100 units maybe, the 550 sells 400 units, thats 800 units. back that off the volume and compare.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-08-13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Oh?

Well the buyer of a C-Class is not looking at a GS, but they are certainly going to consider the CLA - same audience.

And an A6 buyer won't be shopping for a A8, but they will consider the A7 - same audience.
sorry i missed this post

Now I can see what you meant by similar size, but at the same time I think we are talking about more like coupe designs vs full sedan. I guess it's debatable but I am not sure if people cross shop. People who want the styling for sure would go with the coupe design, but people who need space, they would think the coupe rear entry room / cabin space are too small (c vs cla, e vs cls, a6 vs a7), which is the whole idea on the idea

but on gs vs es, the gs is not close to be a coupe design at all so it makes it a bit more mixed together?
Old 10-08-13, 08:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

sorry i missed this post

Now I can see what you meant by similar size, but at the same time I think we are talking about more like coupe designs vs full sedan. I guess it's debatable but I am not sure if people cross shop. People who want the styling for sure would go with the coupe design, but people who need space, they would think the coupe rear entry room / cabin space are too small (c vs cla, e vs cls, a6 vs a7), which is the whole idea on the idea

but on gs vs es, the gs is not close to be a coupe design at all so it makes it a bit more mixed together?
I cant imagine many people not cross-shopping CLA vs C class. They are a lot more similar than ES and GS. ES has a lot bigger advantage in both price and space compared to GS, while CLA vs C class, they are pretty similar.

As it is currently, I cant think of any brand releasing such close competitors like MB did for CLA and C class.
Old 10-08-13, 11:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
I cant imagine many people not cross-shopping CLA vs C class. They are a lot more similar than ES and GS. ES has a lot bigger advantage in both price and space compared to GS, while CLA vs C class, they are pretty similar.

As it is currently, I cant think of any brand releasing such close competitors like MB did for CLA and C class.
i will have to see the car more up close again, but my impression is the rear cabin space suffers quite a bit compared to c sedan?
Old 10-09-13, 04:39 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

People are for cross shopping the two, especially for the time being until the next-gen C-class arrives in a year in moves a bit upmarket. BMW's 1-series sedan and Audi's A3 sedan will have much of the same effect.

i will have to see the car more up close again, but my impression is the rear cabin space suffers quite a bit compared to c sedan?
It does, but rear cabin space isn't the most important thing to a lot of people who currently shop C-classes. Some people see they can get into a MB for cheaper, others see they can get a MB with more options by moving down a step.
Old 10-09-13, 10:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TangoRed
People are for cross shopping the two, especially for the time being until the next-gen C-class arrives in a year in moves a bit upmarket. BMW's 1-series sedan and Audi's A3 sedan will have much of the same effect.

It does, but rear cabin space isn't the most important thing to a lot of people who currently shop C-classes. Some people see they can get into a MB for cheaper, others see they can get a MB with more options by moving down a step.
agreed, i can definitely see that as a way for people to get into mb
Old 10-12-13, 06:33 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
To the average buyer, the ES is the same as the GS and a better value. The GS is the inbetweener Lexus, the red headed step child. It's not the sporty one or the practical one or the luxurious one. It's a blend of the three.
No. GS is the best car Lexus has in its lineup right now. Its a car with no compromises when it comes to something you can touch and feel. Its even better than facelifted LS if you are driver.

I always said its not the car that is the problem but rather a class that it's selling in. Luxury mid size is a crown for 90% of the successful people and no body has better image that says "I succeeded" than MB or BMW. Even if you buy new mid size Maserati you would not get that kind of recognition, you would be the odd one. So GS is missing the experience of ownership that E-class and 5 series bring.

What Lexus has to worry about is not GS but Audi in general, A4 is selling stronger or as strong as new IS and A6 did jump over GS. Next A4/A5 and Q SUVs are something Lexus should be afraid of.
Old 10-22-13, 03:47 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
As much as I love my GS, I will admit that rear seat room is tight. 3 adults in the back is a no go, and even with 4 room behind the seat for knees is tight. My 2010 ES by example had no issues in the rear seats, and the 2013 ES certainly would not. Now...don't get me wrong I likely will never drive an ES again now that I have the GS.

I think the main reason for the GS' comparatively low sales is that they have the ES. That non-enthusiast buyer that wanders in looking for a "midsize sedan" buys the ES at Lexus, and they buy a 528 or a E350 or A6 if they are at those dealers. Look at the A6 vs the A7 and how low the A7's sales figures are, its the vehicle in the lineup that really only an enthusiast is going to pony up for over the A6.

If Lexus did away with the ES and added a lower priced entry to the GS line that could be had around $50k their sales figures would be a lot more competitive. Of course, they aren't going to do that.

I will tell ya what though, I am seeing 4GS's everywhere now just within the past 2-3 months. They are breaking through. I see at least one every day now.

As for the E class...they have a successful coupe as well as the sedans, plus the wagon. Even if you say "The V8 is only 400 units, the wagon is only 300 units, the AMG is only 100 units, the coupe is only 1,000 units. Right there is 1800 units. You subtract that from the high sales volume and you have volume similar to the 5 series. The 5 series has four engine options, a wagon. Say wagon sales are 300 units, the M5 sells 100 units maybe, the 550 sells 400 units, thats 800 units. back that off the volume and compare.
A lower sticker price point of the GS (GS250, GS300h) could help to boost its sales. Now, we all know that's not happening in the near future. Not sure why Lexus US executives didn't bring over the IS300h, GS300h and GS250. Not all 5 series, E class are 535i or E350 CGI.

I don't think we should focus on the sales between the ES and GS since they are not in the same segment whatsoever.

I would think of it as Lexus has two sedans for the same segment (entry luxury sedan), the IS for car enthusiast looking for performance, handling over comfortability (ES).
Old 10-22-13, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by asoksevil
A lower sticker price point of the GS (GS250, GS300h) could help to boost its sales. Now, we all know that's not happening in the near future. Not sure why Lexus US executives didn't bring over the IS300h, GS300h and GS250. Not all 5 series, E class are 535i or E350 CGI.

I don't think we should focus on the sales between the ES and GS since they are not in the same segment whatsoever.
I think you're wrong about the GS and ES not being in the same segment. They don't bring lower priced GS variants because they already have that customer served with the ES.

Look at me, I am a two time ES driver who moved up to the GS. I know many people who have crossed shopped the GS and ES and 5 series, etc. Look at the "GS vs ES" threads in this forum.
Old 10-22-13, 01:35 PM
LexFather

Jan-Sept Source : Auto News

Mercedes-215,056
BMW-212, 565
Lexus-190, 760
Buick-157,503
Cadillac-133,414
Acura-120, 830
Audi-114,411
Infiniit-80,919
Lincoln-59,852
Volvo-48,193
Land Rover-35,359
Porsche-31,549
Jaguar-12,447

Old 10-22-13, 01:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Mercedes' and BMW's continued product onslaught, I just don't see Lexus ever returning to the #1 position in sales. Quite frankly, I'm not sure that I'd want to see them producing as many models as Mercedes has right now, so I'm not bothered by it.

Is this the first year that Audi has overtaken Infiniti? Not much longer before they overtake Acura - will happen in 2014, for sure.
Old 10-22-13, 02:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
With Mercedes' and BMW's continued product onslaught, I just don't see Lexus ever returning to the #1 position in sales. Quite frankly, I'm not sure that I'd want to see them producing as many models as Mercedes has right now, so I'm not bothered by it.

Is this the first year that Audi has overtaken Infiniti? Not much longer before they overtake Acura - will happen in 2014, for sure.
NX and RC will bring enough volume for Lexus to go up top... probably in 2015 when new RX will be out as well?
Old 10-22-13, 04:47 PM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think you're wrong about the GS and ES not being in the same segment. They don't bring lower priced GS variants because they already have that customer served with the ES.

Look at me, I am a two time ES driver who moved up to the GS. I know many people who have crossed shopped the GS and ES and 5 series, etc. Look at the "GS vs ES" threads in this forum.
When I meant that they weren't in the same segment I was referring from a size point and price point. I know there are a lot of people who cross-shop the ES and GS but I don't think Lexus intended it, it was rather targeted for people deciding between the IS and ES (similar price point.)

The ES even came out first than the GS. People should think in this way:

ES -> LS (comfort oriented)
IS -> GS (performance oriented)
Old 10-22-13, 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They're really not that different size wise. Certainly closer than the ES and IS.

What people "should" do is not at issue, it's what they actually do.

Quick Reply: Sept 2013 Sales Thread