Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Toyota/Lexus for a small Caribbean Island?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14, 12:22 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

I have driven around Puerto Rico a fair amount and if the geography is similar for the island you drive around, a narrow vehicle with a short wheelbase would help get around the sharp turns. Good ground clearance can also be a positive as there can be some interesting changes in grade at the top and bottom of hills.

I would thus add another vote for a RAV4
Old 05-14-14, 12:46 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Being over the first flush of youth myself, one must keep in mind that certain things might get more emphasis as you grow older. I don't fancy struggling to get in and out of a car or to be confronted with a break down, like in my younger days. Funny enough it is much easier to get out of an SUV, than out of one of these modern cars, Neither do one like to go for an electronics engineers degree to operate some stuff on the car. In all these categories the Fortuner comes out with flying colours and it is not an old man's car , nor is it some third world bare bones crate, on the contrary, it has all the creature comforts one do appreciate, no matter your age,
Originally Posted by LexFather
So I brought up Toyota and the 4-Runner and new Rav-4. Mike (MPLexus) and I have talked about his new loaded Rav-4 and he has raved about it. I also like the smaller size and new features, some it shares with the HS. (FYI their HS is loaded to the gills so they really like the technology in it).

Sounds like difficulty with technology isn't an issue in this case.
Old 05-14-14, 03:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how about a venza?
Thats what I would do. They are great cars, available in AWD, and roomy as hell
Old 05-14-14, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree with most of the other suggestions (including my own, earlier), about choosing a Lexus with high ground clearance. Puerto Rico gets a lot of heavy tropical showers/thunderstorms (not to mention occasional hurricanes/tropical storms), and minor flooding of streets and roads is a common occurrence.