Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Google files patent for gesture-based car controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 03:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Google files patent for gesture-based car controls

Google files patent for gesture-based car controls

Tech users of the world beware – just as touchscreens have infiltrated nearly every aspect of our lives over the past decade, gesture-based controls will do the same in the coming years. And yes, that includes gesture-enabled cars, according to a patent filing by Google.

The tech giant, which has made no bones about its autonomous-vehicle aspirations and is expanding into wearable tech, has filed a patent that would see drivers use gestures to control a vehicle, according to a report from Engadget. The system, if it ever arrives in the automobile, would use a depth camera mounted on the roof of the car and a laser scanner. So for example, swiping near a window would roll it down, while making a motion at the radio would adjust the volume.

It's not hard to imagine an army of motion-based controls, not unlike what we have on a multi-touch-enabled computer, where pinching would zoom in the navigation screen, and swiping at the vents would increase the temperature or fan speed. Really, this patent raises a number of interesting questions.

And while the safety issues relating to motion-based controls in a conventional car seem as obvious as they are numerous, adding this sort of futuristic tech to an autonomous car, which as we mentioned, Google is kind of into, would be an interesting and futuristic touch (no pun intended) indeed.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/08/g...-car-controls/
Old 10-08-13, 04:13 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what kind of easter-egg picking your nose will bring.
Old 10-09-13, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have a gesture for systems like the Cadillac CUE, Audi MMI, and BMW I-Drive....but it is generally not one that I would show in public.
Old 10-09-13, 10:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have a gesture for systems like the Cadillac CUE, Audi MMI, and BMW I-Drive....but it is generally not one that I would show in public.
this lastest iDrive isn't too bad. And Lexus's Remote Touch is ok, nothing stellar - my main issue with it is the input lag
Old 10-10-13, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
this lastest iDrive isn't too bad.
OK, I'll give it half of a gesture, then, instead of a full one.
Old 10-10-13, 11:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
this lastest iDrive isn't too bad. And Lexus's Remote Touch is ok, nothing stellar - my main issue with it is the input lag
I like CUE way better than Lexus remote touch or BMW idrive, Audi is not bad but not great, none of them are forward thinking.