Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan to sell Infiniti brand cars in Japan market

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 06:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hehe.......I'm inferring that AutoBlog probably referred to when Lexus started it's Japan launch back in 2006. At that time, they only had a 3GS, 2IS and an SC.

Of course, not to mention that the transition process was difficult. After all, the Aristo and Altezza 'nameplates' have very strong brand affinity among Japanese auto enthusiasts so a proper timing was needed to make the transition.

With that said, the first Lexus vehicle that paved the way for local Japanese sales growth was actually.......the 4th gen LS.

And the timing gave the green light. After all, the Toyota Celsior was already discontinued so Lexus Japan felt that it wouldn't conflict with any form of flagship from the Toyota lineup.

And that's when the sales started picking up......with as much as 10,000 Lexus LS cars being sold a month over there. Also yeah, more dealers were starting to come in as the years went by.............

In the case of Infiniti, they're trying to find their rhythm and are thinking on what kind of approach would work best for launching their brand in the Japanese market.

The key people (led by Carlos Ghosn, Andy Palmer and Shiro Nakamura) would definitely need to use the best possible strategy for market-entry.

Nevertheless, I am optimistic that Infiniti will finally launch in Japan (and hopefully before year 2020)

P.S.
Meanwhile at Acura, they're still struggling how to launch in China and the Middle East.

Also, they abandoned their Hong Kong operations (which was actually their first export market back in the 80's)
Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus is #1 luxury brand in Japan now, but thats only 40k-50k sales per year Blackraven :-).
I think they did 4600 last month on strenght of new IS300h (waiting lists).

As you know Japanese buy small cars these days and Lexus is very, very expensive.

Not to mention that they have Mark X, Crown and now Harrier brands that are also near-luxury and sell a lot more than Lexus does... they are also a lot cheaper too.
Nice post. How serious can they be when they moved the corporate headquarters from Japan to Hong Kong. Just bizarre in all sorts of ways. Not to mention rebadged Fuga's as MItsibishi's.

It seems this entire time with the redesign of the Skyline/Q50 they never had a plan nor the financial backing to truly debut in Japan. This doesn't help Lexus as all as Japanese Luxury brands are struggling to gain ground with image.

Old 11-16-13, 01:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Selling at Nissan Dealers means they still haven't learned a thing. And FYI the infiniti corporate headquarters is not in Japan, it's in Hong Kong.

Good luck to them.

Crazy to think Lexus provides 50% of Toyotas profit and Infiniti almost nothing.
Another half-assed effort from Infiniti, this is just stupid .

What a goofy company Nissan has become .

Originally Posted by LexFather
This doesn't help Lexus as all as Japanese Luxury brands are struggling to gain ground with image.
I do see your point and in the overall grand scheme of things this doesn't help Lexus. However, Lexus is paving its own way and moving up in image in a big way. Despite the big picture struggle, Lexus will ultimately succeed I feel with their goals.

In the future I believe most discussions will revolve around "the Germans", Lexus, the British to an extent, and everyone else.

The key I think is Lexus will shed the image of "just another Japanese luxury brand". I think Lexus will elevate itself to a unique position, based on the brand's own merits.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 11-16-13 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 02:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Another half-assed effort from Infiniti, this is just stupid .

What a goofy company Nissan has become .

I do see your point and in the overall grand scheme of things this doesn't help Lexus. However, Lexus is paving its own way and moving up in image in a big way. Despite the big picture struggle, Lexus will ultimately succeed I feel with their goals.

In the future I believe most discussions will revolve around "the Germans", Lexus, the British to an extent, and everyone else.

The key I think is Lexus will shed the image of "just another Japanese luxury brand". I think Lexus will elevate itself to a unique position, based on the brand's own merits.
You're forgetting Cadillac. Some big things are happening and Lexus and Cadillac look to retake markets hate from the Germans. Jaguar and the XS 3-Series fighter should also add to the mix. But none are going to gain traction like Lexus and Caddy are
Old 11-19-13, 01:24 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You're forgetting Cadillac. Some big things are happening and Lexus and Cadillac look to retake markets hate from the Germans. Jaguar and the XS 3-Series fighter should also add to the mix. But none are going to gain traction like Lexus and Caddy are
Cadillac thought has very little recognition overseas/internationally. I was talking about the luxury market on a worldwide scale.
Old 11-19-13, 02:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Cadillac thought has very little recognition overseas/internationally. I was talking about the luxury market on a worldwide scale.
ok

10 char