Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next gen Subaru WRX spied...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 01:28 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They told me that they couldn't tell me since the car wasn't available when I ordered and that it is so new and popular. I mean I get it....but I don't get it.
Old 04-19-14, 02:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
They told me that they couldn't tell me since the car wasn't available when I ordered and that it is so new and popular. I mean I get it....but I don't get it.
I know that with Toyota, first few months they dont allow for custom orders from factory (that take 120 days) at all, due to them building at maximum rate to get dealers the inventory... so they are likely placing your order for the ones already being set to be built.
Old 04-22-14, 10:59 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Subaru WRX Hatchback Not Coming After All

Subaru WRX hatchback fans might be in for some bad news if they’re fans of the new model.

When the Subaru WRX debuted at the 2013 L.A. Auto show, enthusiasts were shocked that only sedan models were presented. Recent sales data shows that nearly half of yearly WRX sales are for the hatchback model while 33 percent of WRX STI sales are for the five door. But according to the Japanese automaker, it’s too expensive to develop both models despite recent rumors that the company was considering a five-door version.

According to sources close to the story, Subaru U.S. was surprised by what Subaru project manager Masuo Takatsu had to say about the potential of a hatchback model for the U.S. market. As a result, Subaru USA contacted Japan to discuss the situation and now it is unlikely that a hatchback model is on the table.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...eading-us.html
Old 04-23-14, 05:42 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default New 2015 Subaru WRX STI Reviewed by MT's Ignition

Even after all these years that the Subaru (formerly Impreza) WRX STI series has been with us, you'll be hard pressed to find another everyday performance car offering so much (in so many ways) for a reasonable price tag – okay, there's also the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO, but we still don't know for how long it will last…

In one of the first filmed tests we've seen of the new Subaru, MotorTrend's Ignition and Carlos Lago introduce us to the 2015 WRX STI, which they drive at the press launch on the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca circuit, while also taking it for a spin on the open road.

The tester seen in the video is the WRX STI Launch Edition, which at $37,395 (plus $795 for delivery), will cost you an extra $2,900 premium over the standard model ($34,495, excluding delivery) for the pleasure of owning one of only 1,000 numbered units made, all of which feature a WR Blue Pearl paint, gold-painted 18-inch BBS alloy wheels and some other trinkets.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/new...wed-by-mt.html
Old 04-24-14, 07:04 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I can not wait to get this beast. I know, I keep getting "Oh, it is only 300hp!" And I have been saying this forever, it is not how much power or torque the car have, it is about how efficient it get to the ground. In this case, it can rocket into a corner, warp speed mid corner, and disappear exiting.

This car, and the GT-R are both Japanese Marvelous Technologies.
Old 04-24-14, 11:37 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Subaru WRX May Not Get Five-Door Version After All

You probably remember a previous report quoting Subaru WRX project general manager Masuo Takatsu as saying that the Japanese automaker is considering a hatchback version for the 2015 WRX.

“We have received strong interest from the U.S., where the hatchback was 50 per cent of previous-generation WRX sales, so we’re now considering,” Takatsu told Australia’s Motoring website. Well, it appears that Subaru of America was surprised to hear about a five-door WRX and asked the company’s Japan headquarters for more information.

Sadly for WRX fans, Subaru USA learned that the automaker is not considering a WRX hatchback, according to a source cited by Motor Trend.

The 2015 Subaru WRX and WRX STI debuted as sedans only, which is quite strange given that sales of WRX sedans and hatchbacks traditionally have been evenly split in the U.S. in recent years. While Subaru says it is too expensive to develop both models, many see the automaker as turning its back on half its customers.

So what are we to make of the earlier report confirming the WRX hatchback? We should forget about it, as the new report assumes some sort of mistranslation or misinterpretation was to blame for the confusion.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/201...five-door.html
Old 05-01-14, 11:46 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Tommi Mäkinen catches some air in the 2015 Subaru WRX STI [video]

Has a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that develops 305 bhp (227 kW)

Subaru has released a new video of four-time World Rally Championship winner Tommi Mäkinen test driving a 2015 WRX STI at the Buttonwillow Raceway in California.

After catching some air, Mäkinen says "You cannot do any mistakes with this car, they have done incredible work. Always going a step forward and forward, and this is very nice to see from previous models." He goes on to say "It's really kind of a car which asks you to please go faster, go faster."

As a refresher, the WRX STI has a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder boxer engine that develops 305 bhp (227 kW) and 290 lb-ft (393 Nm) of torque. It is connected to a six-speed manual which sends power to the ground via a symmetrical all-wheel drive system.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11405017...subaru-wrx-sti
Old 05-05-14, 11:32 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Subaru WRX Earns IIHS Top Safety Pick

The 2015 Subaru WRX has earned a top safety pick designation from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

To qualify to be a top safety pick, a vehicle must earn a “good” rating (the highest rating) in the moderate overlap front, side crash, roof strength and head restraint tests, along with at least an “acceptable” rating in the new small overlap test.

The 2015 WRX managed to score top marks in every single crash test category, with the only factor holding it back from being a top safety pick plus being its lack of crash avoidance technology. To get that added “plus” moniker, the vehicle in question must score at least a “basic” rating in crash avoidance technology.

There are two spots where this Subaru faltered however. During the moderate overlap front crash test, the IIHS says that the dummy’s head hit the steering wheel through the airbag and forces on the left foot indicate lower leg injuries are possible.

This marks the sixth Subaru vehicle to get a top safety pick, three of which are the full top safety pick plus.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...fety-pick.html
Old 05-07-14, 12:59 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Caught one of the first 1000 at the car wash . Owner was a nice young kid
Attached Thumbnails next gen Subaru WRX spied...-image-4154617746.png  
Old 05-07-14, 06:23 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Subaru Wants to Break Isle of Man TT Lap Time Record Again with New WRX STI

The arrival of the new generation WRX STI on UK shores this month with a price that's about £4,000 cheaper than its predecessor at £28,995, has prompted Subaru to call in British Rally Champion Mark Higgins to repeat his previous feat of setting a record lap time at the famous Isle of Man TT.

Higgins raced a production-spec version of the previous-generation Subaru WRX STI in 2011, completing the course in 19 minutes and 56.7 seconds with an average speed of 115.36 mph (185.61 km/h) around the TT Mountain circuit.

Higgins commented: “Setting the record was totally exhilarating and one of the highlights of my career – Bray Hill certainly added to the thrill! As a Manxman, I love the TT Races and I have a huge amount of respect for the TT riders and what they do. It will be a real honour to attempt a new fastest car lap.”

Subaru of America will be the main sponsor of the run and, as with the previous record attempt, it will provide a U.S. specification WRX STI fitted with a stock 2.5-liter turbo'd boxer engine.

The Japanese carmaker said that the car will have unmodified brake callipers and road-legal tires, but "the springs and dampers have been adjusted slightly to minimise any potential damage when the car encounters the many bumps – and jumps – at high speed along the course". For safety purposes, it will be equipped with a roll-cage, race harness and fire suppression system.

Below you can find a video from Higgins' 2011 run at the Isle of Man.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/sub...of-man-tt.html
Old 05-07-14, 06:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dyno Tested: 2015 Subaru WRX vs. 2015 Subaru STI

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...aru-wrx-vs-sti

so much for torque being the deciding factor....STI is the faster car.
Attached Thumbnails next gen Subaru WRX spied...-capture.jpg   next gen Subaru WRX spied...-capture1.jpg   next gen Subaru WRX spied...-capture2.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 05-07-14 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 07:46 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Torque is the main factor, but how efficiently can you put it to the ground ? that is the ultimate question. The GT-R has mastered this, hence despite their number, they are super fast. Even more so in cornering.

The ST-I is almost Similar, it only has 4 banger in it, but it is super Efficient with it AWD system together with 3 LSD. That is why even with their torque the way it is, the WRX can not lay the power down to the ground as Efficient as the STI. Hence STI is faster, on the ground, gravel, or even Corners.

STI is almost Twice the car for 8k more than a WRX. The only reason why people would jump in the new WRX = the new FA20 engine.

I prefer the EJ25, because it uses Timing Belt. Everything is so easily swap and replace. The FA20 uses Chain, and who knows what happen to the DIT from Subaru. Toyota DIS is another story, hence Subaru so much want the DIS from Toyota. Probably in the year 2017, the STI will have FA25DITS technology. But who cares ? I will enjoy in this 2 years, and then trade in for the newer one later hehe
Old 05-07-14, 12:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

my first thought when I was it initially was that the car looked more mature, larger , and more desirable to the older tuners out there
Old 05-09-14, 11:16 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I keep having these vivid dreams about getting mine....where is it????????!?!?
Old 05-09-14, 06:49 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Both cars are good on their own rights, but where is Levorg STI? I want a "practical" WRX STI.

Quick Reply: next gen Subaru WRX spied...