Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 04:09 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How to be an artist

1. copy, copy, copy
2. copy, copy, and add your little touch
3. copy, and add your little touch
4. copy, and make your own
5. make your own

right now i think Hyundai is at stage 3 going into stage 4. Lexus was at stage 4 but going into stage 5.

chinese cars are still at #1.

it takes time, money, knowhow, and right economy for car companies to be creatively inspired by their own. and design recycles too. there is a reason why you see so many retro inspired designs. it's like fashion, it's hard to be creative because most designs have been explored.

one famous creative director once said 'Move me, goddammit'

right now, hyundai isn't moving me. not at all. there are only few car companies that moved me in the past 5 years.
Old 01-01-14, 04:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
i've talked to chinese guys who are into car design. chinese copy to save money and to sell. in no way shape or form, they accept these blatant chinese copy, but the reality is that if it doesn't resemble lexus or whatever then people won't buy it. so basically they are selling knock off louis vuitton $50. it's the same mentality. 'hey guys! our Dong Feng is just like Lexus but 10 times cheaper!' that mentality. these car companies are in a business of making money and selling cars. they are desperate enough to just copy and keep it hush hush in house. they all dream to hire legit designers, open up legit design studios, and etc, but everything costs money. and even if they make something nice, chinese consumers won't buy it over nicer imports.

so they just kinda justify where they are at as a growing country. they know the better design culture will come down the road. they know they are unorganized with too many people, and still finding their own identity.

i would say it will take another 20 years or so for them to grow out of copying culture.
and that's just it. There's doing business the harder and honorable way and the other way. Sadly businesses and entire nations gravitate toward the latter whenever they can.
Old 01-01-14, 04:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mordecai
Wow, not only was the bump super random, the Hyundai defense force has come out in conjunction. I'd say ClubLexus is a big target for these astroturfers.
Can we make this a mandatory signature? Then they completely AVOID this thread about the overstating fuel economy but find the time to explain to us about design and now how Japan rapes women

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l-economy.html

Old 01-01-14, 05:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

hm. i think genesis sold relatively well. market is very small when it comes to buying a $40k+ car that doesn't have a luxury badge. it's a tough sell. i wouldn't buy genesis. not my cup of tea, and it doesn't have german badge.
very few Genesis are $40k+... due to discounting, those that are, probably drop down to mid 30's anyway.

Also their sales include $24k coupe bundled in.

Supposedly they expect this new one to sell a lot better, so we will see.
Old 01-01-14, 06:00 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

you mean they have a family look? then yeah, that was the first thing i thought of.

tail light shape is very siimilar. it's definitely from elantra
Yes, I did say it looks like Hyundai just copied and pasted the elantra taillights onto the genesis.
Old 01-01-14, 06:06 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Hyundai Genesis U.S. Sales

2008: 6167
2009: 21,889
2010: 29,122
2011: 32,998
2012: 33,973
Old 01-01-14, 06:12 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
very few Genesis are $40k+... due to discounting, those that are, probably drop down to mid 30's anyway.

Also their sales include $24k coupe bundled in.

Supposedly they expect this new one to sell a lot better, so we will see.
sales happen to most cars especially for outgoing model. hyundai is no exception. i believe hyundai was top 5 in lowest incentives before fuel economy fiasco. i think it really hurt hyundai, and right now they are trying to get back on track. i believe they weathered the storm, but it did hurt them. from my recollection genesis posted very consistent month to month sales even when the new yearly model came out without much discounts.
Old 01-01-14, 06:13 PM
Hoovey689

Can someone tell me what that panel is for (aft of the front fender)?
Old 01-01-14, 06:14 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gymratter
Yes, I did say it looks like Hyundai just copied and pasted the elantra taillights onto the genesis.
so are you saying A8 copied A6's front, side, and rear? are you saying new c class copied S class?

Old 01-01-14, 06:17 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

so are you saying A8 copied A6's front, side, and rear? are you saying new c class copied S class?

what is wrong with that statement?

people have said Lexus just copied and pasted the spindle grille onto ever model.

is that a false statement???
Old 01-01-14, 06:28 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather
Can we make this a mandatory signature? Then they completely AVOID this thread about the overstating fuel economy but find the time to explain to us about design and now how Japan rapes women

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l-economy.html
overstating fuel economy - didn't that happen like 2 years ago?

and let's not act like hyundai is the only car company who committed that idiotic crime.
http://www.carscoops.com/2012/12/con...-ford-for.html
http://mpgfraud.com/

hyundai was an idiot thinking they could get away with this heinous crime. they were shortsighted. it hurt them alot for sure. it really derailed hyundai train.
Old 01-01-14, 06:34 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

why is everyone fighting? i mean how many of y'all are going to go out and buy this car? i can say i wont be, so I could care less either way. im just saying why bothered fighting over a car that you probably wont even buy.

moving on, yes everyone is or has copied from another automakers. let hyundai do their thing. if you dont like it than the best part is you dont have to buy it. i wont be, im not in the market for another sedan and i just dont like the way the new genesis sedan looks.
Old 01-01-14, 06:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
why is everyone fighting? i mean how many of y'all are going to go out and buy this car? i can say i wont be, so I could care less either way. im just saying why bothered fighting over a car that you probably wont even buy.

moving on, yes everyone is or has copied from another automakers. let hyundai do their thing. if you dont like it than the best part is you dont have to buy it. i wont be, im not in the market for another sedan and i just dont like the way the new genesis sedan looks.
My guess is probably zero would consider or buy the Genesis.

Seems like a Hyundai/Genesis thread on Car Chat is more active and runs longer than anything Lexus related.

Hyundai/Genesis will be fine regardless of all the back and forth.
Old 01-01-14, 06:45 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Does every counter argument from you always include a retort of what Lexus, BMW, Audi, Mercedes does? That is not the proper way to respond. :roll eyes:
eh, i'm only pointing out the obvious? we all mock audi or bmw to be one sausage different length?

but i've never heard of somebody saying 5 series copied 7 series.
Old 01-01-14, 06:48 PM
Hoovey689

Hoovey I wondered too until one day I was at the track and the 2000GT needed a jump….that is where the battery is.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread