Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 02:31 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Trends are different from stealing the entire bodywork of another manufacturer. Don't try and soften this up.

Frankly I'm surprised even Hyundai fanboys are giving the new Genesis the pass, I would still be outraged as a Hyundai fanboy.
so what's your take on my examples above on 7 series/LS vw/mb hatchback?

IMO, if you accuse hyundai for stealing the entire bodywork, then you have to say Lexus, MB, and many other manufacturers also committed the same crime in the past. You can't just single out hyundai.

lexus SC was inspired by audi TT. almost exact proportion. ls430 was inspired by S class - most will agree.

another one. IMO this is a trend.

Last edited by hlee12; 01-02-14 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 02:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

the whole copying accusations are silly. everyone does it.

didn't audi have led drl's first, for example? (now who cares)
Old 01-02-14, 02:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the whole copying accusations are silly. everyone does it.

didn't audi have led drl's first, for example? (now who cares)
That sums it up nicely. Nothing like a Hyundai/Genesis thread to get the blood boiling.
Old 01-02-14, 02:46 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1, who cares. I don't think many of us will be buying this car anyways...
Old 01-02-14, 03:00 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agreed, and I am not a fan Hyundai nor do I plan on buying a Genesis. But Hyundai isn't hurting anyone here; just let them do their thing. If you don't like it than you don't have to buy it.

And if they are "copying" then they will just be hurting themselves. Luxury car buyers want the latest and freshness designs, and not recycled design cues from last years competitors' model.
Old 01-02-14, 03:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Lexfather & HLee12, please exit this thread (removed personal comments/ back & forth).

I'll again encourage you to please use the forums ignore list feature
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...?do=ignorelist
Old 01-02-14, 03:35 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

You're all terrible people. I love my genesis.

I see the German cues, not bad, but I still like the first gen better.
Old 01-02-14, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12

IMO, if you accuse hyundai for stealing the entire bodywork, then you have to say Lexus, MB, and many other manufacturers also committed the same crime in the past. You can't just single out hyundai.
not really... reason Genesis didnt sell well was that it was not original... Those back lights from 2013 GS for instance are very similar to back lights from 2006 IS which was revealed in 2005... and few other Toyota japanese vehicles before that.

As long as they keep copying their sales will never be much better than today, they have reached the limit of what they could do by copying and weak won.
Old 01-02-14, 07:21 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12

lexus SC was inspired by audi TT. almost exact proportion. ls430 was inspired by S class - most will agree.

another one. IMO this is a trend.

Lexus and BMW both have their own unique body design language. Lexus has L-finesse, and BMW has whatever the 2006 3 series debuted. Same goes for Hyundai and Lexus with regards to the Sonata.

The Genesis shows no unique Hyundai body language and largely takes what BMW has done and applies it to a different form factor.

Copying aside (which is IMO blatantly obvious, very likely intentional on Hyundai's part, and not worth debate), I'm wondering what the Genesis is trying to be. When Lexus first came out, they were going after "Japanese Mercedes", and that served them well for a long time. What is the Genesis? A Korean BMW? Aside from the bodywork, I doubt it has the credibility underneath. A Korean Mercedes? Definitely no. A Korean Lexus? Not since the Equus and last gen Genesis has Hyundai tried to be Lexus. A Korean Infiniti? Seems most likely. But no one really wants the real Japanese Infiniti, WTH is the point of a Korean one.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 01-02-14 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 07:59 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Lexus and BMW both have their own unique body design language. Lexus has L-finesse, and BMW has whatever the 2006 3 series debuted. Same goes for Hyundai and Lexus with regards to the Sonata.

The Genesis shows no unique Hyundai body language and largely takes what BMW has done and applies it to a different form factor.

Copying aside (which is IMO blatantly obvious, very likely intentional on Hyundai's part, and not worth debate), I'm wondering what the Genesis is trying to be. When Lexus first came out, they were going after "Japanese Mercedes", and that served them well for a long time. What is the Genesis? A Korean BMW? Aside from the bodywork, I doubt it has the credibility underneath. A Korean Mercedes? Definitely no. A Korean Lexus? Not since the Equus and last gen Genesis has Hyundai tried to be Lexus. A Korean Infiniti? Seems most likely. But no one really wants the real Japanese Infiniti, WTH is the point of a Korean one.
It's comments like these that make me wonder if Hyundai will ever have an identity in some people's eyes. It is not free to simply be a Hyundai Genesis, it has to be a Korean "something".
Old 01-02-14, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's comments like these that make me wonder if Hyundai will ever have an identity in some people's eyes. It is not free to simply be a Hyundai Genesis, it has to be a Korean "something".
in some people's eyes, they never will. sorry to say it's a subtle bigoted attitude.

i could not care less who designed and builds a given vehicle, or where it is built. i wouldn't have bought a former east-german 'trabant', or a former yugoslavian 'yugo', not because they were from those places, but because they were junk.

and while designs may be connected to some national identity/culture, there's so many exceptions. it's easy to forget that bmw's giant design change in recent years came from an american designer, chris bangle, and a german designer (formerly with audi), peter schreyer, now works for kia!

we drool over range rovers here, a former british company, which for a while was owned by bmw, with bmw engines, and now owned by an indian company.

not many know that gm supplied all the auto transmissions for bmws for a looong time (may still do).

it's a global market, and may the best vehicles win, wherever they're designed and built.
Old 01-02-14, 09:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in some people's eyes, they never will. sorry to say it's a subtle bigoted attitude.

i could not care less who designed and builds a given vehicle, or where it is built. i wouldn't have bought a former east-german 'trabant', or a former yugoslavian 'yugo', not because they were from those places, but because they were junk.

and while designs may be connected to some national identity/culture, there's so many exceptions. it's easy to forget that bmw's giant design change in recent years came from an american designer, chris bangle, and a german designer (formerly with audi), peter schreyer, now works for kia!

we drool over range rovers here, a former british company, which for a while was owned by bmw, with bmw engines, and now owned by an indian company.

not many know that gm supplied all the auto transmissions for bmws for a looong time (may still do).

it's a global market, and may the best vehicles win, wherever they're designed and built.
These old East European cars might have been junk, but they had character and charm to them. There are plenty of fansites and clubs dedicated to all kinds of old cars, heck, there is even a Morris Mariner owners club - but I doubt if you can find an old Elantra owners club.

Haiyondie is going to remain a disposable, pretentious car company until they earn some heritage - and bluntly copying others is not the way to do it.
Old 01-02-14, 10:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's comments like these that makes me wonder if Hyundai will ever have an identity in some people's eyes. It is not free to simply be a Hyundai Genesis, it has to be a Korean "something".
There it is.

Truthfully no, but it's not just Hyundai. Lexus along with other Japanese and American automakers continue to suffer negative social views despite some great strides of late. There is little parity between European automakers and everyone else when it comes to social view. Suffice to say Euro's get the nod and the rest, well.. Unequal Automakers
Old 01-02-14, 10:23 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Very good statement.
Old 01-03-14, 12:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There it is.

Truthfully no, but it's not just Hyundai. Lexus along with other Japanese and American automakers continue to suffer negative social views despite some great strides of late. There is little parity between European automakers and everyone else when it comes to social view. Suffice to say Euro's get the nod and the rest, well.. Unequal Automakers
this

actually even for germans, i think audi saw something similar and for a while people called them copycats of bmw as well. in a way companies just have to work hard to prove themselves. same happened to lexus back in the 90s, and look where they are now. right now it's hyundai, i am in no way saying it will be lexus at all, but i just like to keep an open mind

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread