Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 11:46 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Nitpicking, but those aren't the 2014 5-series or E-class interiors.
2013 for both, may I ask why it matters?
Old 01-06-14, 11:57 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
2013 for both, may I ask why it matters?
I just thought if you were going to compare interiors you should show what will be on the market when the Genesis hits the streets...both models got slight updates for 2014. Like I said, just nitpicking. I'm bored. :P
Old 01-06-14, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Wait and see as more people who are in their 20s now get into the price ranges where they are going to be buying these cars. Remember that with every passing year successive generations form new perceptions of brands. At one time Toyota was considered a cheap, crappy car compared to American cars.
The original Toyopet (the 1950's forerunner of American-market Toyotas) WAS a cheap, crappy car. That was not simply a perception, but a historical fact. It had a toy-car engine that couldn't move the car out of its own way, the sheet metal rusted out if you so much as spit on it, it was cramped and uncomfortable for anyone even near American adult height, it was noisy enough inside to wake up the dead, and it folded up like an accordion in almost any kind of crash at all.

Why do you think the original LS was so successful? Yes it was a great car...but it was also absurdly cheap for what it was.
Unlike the Toyopet of the 1950s, when Toyota introduced the LS400 more than 30 years later, despite the comparatively bargain price compared to its competition, they designed the car correctly. Although there were a few minor issues (like slightly undersized brake rotors that tended to warp), in general, it quickly set a new industry standard for refinement, reliability, and comfort at a relatively affordable price. The rest is history.
Old 01-06-14, 12:05 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Ok here you.

Old 01-06-14, 02:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Which interior color is that? I'm smitten!
Old 01-06-14, 03:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I like the dash. It's clean, easy on the eyes, and doesn't offer gimmicky styling anywhere. About the only spot I'd say is bold or odd is the center dash vents being flipped and not matching.
Old 01-06-14, 03:17 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Which interior color is that? I'm smitten!
Man it does look good. It's Mocha Nappa. That's a great press pic though. On the bmwusa configurator, it looks a good deal darker.
Old 01-06-14, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The original Toyopet (the 1950's forerunner of American-market Toyotas) WAS a cheap, crappy car. That was not simply a perception, but a historical fact. It had a toy-car engine that couldn't move the car out of its own way, the sheet metal rusted out if you so much as spit on it, it was cramped and uncomfortable for anyone even near American adult height, it was noisy enough inside to wake up the dead, and it folded up like an accordion in almost any kind of crash at all.
80s and early 90s Hyundais were cheap, crappy cars too. I don't get your point.

At one time Toyota made cheap crappy cars, now they don't and people don't hold that against them. My point was the same will ultimately be true with Hyundai.

Unlike the Toyopet of the 1950s, when Toyota introduced the LS400 more than 30 years later, despite the comparatively bargain price compared to its competition, they designed the car correctly. Although there were a few minor issues (like slightly undersized brake rotors that tended to warp), in general, it quickly set a new industry standard for refinement, reliability, and comfort at a relatively affordable price. The rest is history.
Again...what you post has nothing to do with my point or the discussion at hand.
Old 01-06-14, 03:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Man it does look good. It's Mocha Nappa. That's a great press pic though. On the bmwusa configurator, it looks a good deal darker.
no wonder. I build 550i's quite often online, but this press pic is great
Old 01-06-14, 03:47 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Genesis is 3 series money.

The E-class & 5 series cost much more..
Old 01-06-14, 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
The Genesis is 3 series money.

The E-class & 5 series cost much more..
Thats the point. The Genesis is a E Class, GS & 5 Series style car for C Class, ES or 3 Series money.

If you notice the Equus is an S Class, LS & 7 series style car for E Class, GS, or 5 Series money.

Again, the fact that people are comparing the interiors here. Huge win for Hyundai...
Old 01-07-14, 10:07 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Lets wait and see if it will sale. I was told the last gen did not sale that well. Around 8k-10k were sold a year???
Old 01-07-14, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

80s and early 90s Hyundais were cheap, crappy cars too. I don't get your point.

At one time Toyota made cheap crappy cars, now they don't and people don't hold that against them. My point was the same will ultimately be true with Hyundai.

Again...what you post has nothing to do with my point or the discussion at hand.
Well, OK. Sorry if my reply wasn't up to your expectations. All I was trying to do is illustrate WHY the earlier points you made about Toyotas once being considered cheap and crappy (and the LS400 undercutting the price of their competition) were so. But I thought it was also important to point out that the two were as different as night from day. Unlike the 1950s Toyopet, the 1990 LS400 was done correctly, and, despite its price-undercutting, was a very credible product.
Old 01-07-14, 11:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

some good reasonable discussion here. thanks all!

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Like it or not, nationalistic labels factor into the strength of car brands. German cars are seen as the most prestigious, then other European cars, then Japanese cars, then American cars, then Korean cars. This is especially true in how cars are presented in automotive media here.
they do factor, but what's laughable is a ton of bmw's cars are made in south carolina now, and many are exported BACK to europe. i believe honda even exports accords made in ohio. the lexus rx is made in canada (except hybrid one), and i've no doubt the es will be made somewhere outside japan soon to keep costs/margins better.

When Lexus launched in the late 80s and 90s, "Japanese" was synonymous with "quality". Lexus was smart enough to realize that, and capitalized on the whole "quality" thing in their marketing and products. "Quality" set Japanese cars and Lexus apart from other cars. So I can't agree with you there.
lexus certainly trumpeted (wonderfully) the impeccable quality of the ls400 in particular, but the japanese weren't known for luxury cars (outside japan), and their chief competition: mercedes/bmw/audi weren't thought of as poor quality, although lexus certainly showed that they were. but the ls400 did well because of refinement, quality, luxury, service, GREAT PRICE, and brilliant marketing. on that note, i realize the competition has caught up in those areas, and now hyundai (in a less spectacular and slow burn way) is trying to out-lexus lexus.

Hyundai/Korean are not synonymous with quality and refinement, aren't renowned for engineering prowess, they are not considered to have "soul", and so in both tangible and superficial areas that influence desirability, they come up short.
they're rising quickly in those areas. of course kia even has a model called 'soul' also, the world has definitely taken notice of how s. korea is now making most of the world's flat panel displays and tons of phones and is a sophisticated developed country with very high tech. japan on the other hand, is aging and shrinking, although still capable of amazing things.

These days the whole image thing is a huge uphill battle for everyone but the Germans, who now as Lexus/Japan's quality advantage has reduced, are enjoying the windfalls of simply being German luxury cars. BMW and Mercedes sales have exploded in the US. Even brands like Audi who aren't doing quite as well sales wise continue to enjoy free marketing in our media that associates them with the far more successful BMW and Mercedes and against brands like Lexus and Cadillac for simply being German.
true. history/trends are hard to change, which is what made lexus' launch so spectacular, and i can speak for myself in saying when the second 'punch' occurred (to me), the GS400 with genius 'something wicked this way comes', i was completely smitten and bowled over (and bought one and modded the snot out of it ) and later, an RX for (ex) wife, which was another GAME CHANGER. since then, it seems things have been more incremental, with an extremely haphazard and inconsistent marketing effort. the best thing to come out of lexus in the last decade is the LF-A, which was beyond spectacular, but ultimately not that relevant to the brand, IMO.

Lexus has been completely stupid as of late by abandoning their image strengths in marketing. Gone is quality, refinement and the pursuit of perfection:
"An entirely new pursuit" it says it right there in the commercial. Fail. Boy have Mercedes in particular capitalized on this nonsense Lexus marketing and resulting image decline in recent years.
agreed i think we're saying the same thing...

Branding is important to people who buy high end luxury cars (prestige),
not all people, but some. when i bought lexus, i couldn't really care less that it was called lexus, but that's just me. in fact, i didn't even care for what i would call the 'stuffy' dealerships, especially when i found the salespeople were as bad or worse as every other place.

and to people who buy low end economy cars (predictability and security). Just look at the never-has-been-better sales of BMW and Mercedes at the top end - despite growing competition, and #1 sales positions of cars like the Corolla and Civic - again despite growing competition.
besides branding, car makers of course want to keep the volumes of their successful models going or getting even higher... and many people also stick with brands/models they know (comfort zone). but car makers work REALLY HARD to make new models of winners as competitive as possible, although they do make mistakes of course - sometimes correcting them successfully, sometimes not.

If you polled consumers today and asked them to rank carmakers by name when it comes to their perception of the brand, Hyundai may not be up there with Toyota and Honda...but they will be higher than they would have been 10 years ago, and certainly 20 years ago. In 10 more years they will be higher...in 10 more...higher.

Thats how these things work. Its not a battle that is won in 1, 5 or even 10 years. Hyundai is here to stay, and they are here to compete. if you look at what they are doing today vs what they were doing in 2004...the difference is staggering. IMHO they now have a product that is overall as good...and perhaps better in some ways than what is being made at Honda and Toyota. What they need to work on is brand perception, and that comes from making good products over time.
very well said. of course hyundai/kia will have setbacks, and may even become less popular, but more competition for all is a good thing.
Old 01-07-14, 11:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unlike the 1950s Toyopet, the 1990 LS400 was done correctly, and, despite its price-undercutting, was a very credible product.
I never said that wasn't the case. What I said was however incredible a product it was, it would not have been as successful if the incredible value had not also been there.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread