Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 03:34 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai brand is doomed because of the brand identity. General public doesn't see Hyundai as a luxury brand. They would've been smart to start a whole new brand all together with high end cars only.

How can you have a Sonata (Camry competitor) and a Genesis (5-series, E-Class, A6 competitors) in the same line up?!! Just isn't the right way to build luxury brand awareness and a brand identity.
Old 01-16-14, 03:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
Hyundai brand is doomed because of the brand identity. General public doesn't see Hyundai as a luxury brand. They would've been smart to start a whole new brand all together with high end cars only.

How can you have a Sonata (Camry competitor) and a Genesis (5-series, E-Class, A6 competitors) in the same line up?!! Just isn't the right way to build luxury brand awareness and a brand identity.
Just because they have the Genesis and Equus doesn't mean they are doomed. They are simply upscale vehicles. I don't even know any official press that was released noting that Hyundai plans to become a Luxury make. Personally it's just the interwebz blowing smoke and trying to discredit these cars. I won't ever buy a Hyundai nor do I believe in their fluff, but I do applaud them for build two decent RWD vehicles with V8's to boot - in a time when other mainstreams and even some Luxury makes don't have either. The company still produces Elantra's and Sonata's and Azera's (which BTW I just noticed all end with "A" and the upscale Genesis and Equus end with "S") so it won't ever be a Luxury brand unless they create a dedicated Luxury division. Hyundai is simply offering an arrary of sedans for consumers to choose from.
Old 01-20-14, 03:00 PM
Hoovey689

Default Hyundai Genesis V8 HTRAC may come with performance orientation

Hyundai Genesis V8 HTRAC may come with performance orientation

When the second-generation Hyundai Genesis arrives in dealers, customers looking for the new all-wheel-drive variant will need to settle for the 3.8-liter V6. This is no bad thing, as the V6 is a sound engine, but what if you want that brawny, 429-horsepower, 5.0-liter V8? For now, you're stuck spinning the rear wheels.

A report from AutoGuide, though, claims that the new HTRAC all-wheel-drive system could be mated up to the Genny Sedan's optional V8 engine at a later date, as part of a new performance version. According to spokesman Miles Johnson, a performance-minded Genesis, perhaps in the same vein as the first-generation R-Spec, is being looked at by the powers that be at Hyundai and that there "may be a market demand for such a model.".
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/20/h...ormance-model/
Old 02-01-14, 09:33 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Remember when performance was reserved solely for the Germans? That was then. This is next. Explore the All-New Hyundai Genesis at www.HyundaiGenesis.com.

Equipped with HTRAC All Wheel Drive, our new 2015 Genesis takes on the famous Nordschleife track at the Nürburgring complex in Germany.
Old 02-01-14, 10:25 AM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

The car is handsome. Nice front end with the LED's and such. But no way I pay that much for a Hyundai.
Believe it or not, a huge part of buying a luxury car is the snob factor. And Hyundai does not have that prestige.

$50k+ for a Hyundai no thanks. Hyundai doesn't impress anyone you pick up. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti do.
Old 02-01-14, 08:44 PM
RYKR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO the old front end looks much classier, this one looks very generic
Old 02-01-14, 09:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am loving the interior design. A big step up and a big step in the right direction
Old 02-02-14, 01:37 PM
Hoovey689

Does anyone know if this HTRAC unit is an in-house project or perhaps Haldex etc.. system?
Old 02-15-14, 04:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

The new Genesis looks more polished and upscale, the exterior - an amalgamation of the Infiniti M and BMW 5-series, and rear VW Passat.

I remember a while back Hyundai was about to pull the trigger on a luxury brand which would have been called Genesis, but they didn't. Too bad, I can't get over the Hyundai brand stigma and fork over 45K for the Genesis or 70K for the Equus. They seriously need to revisit this if they want to consider buyers like me.
Old 03-21-14, 01:36 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Remember when your car couldn't keep you on track? That was then. This is next. Experience the all-new Genesis at www.HyundaiGenesis.com.

The Sensory Surround Safety features on the All-New Genesis were put to the ultimate challenge with the world's first-ever blind test drive. In this trial, stunt driver Rhys Millen relies only on the Lane Keep Assist feature to keep him in his lane and out of danger.
Remember when your car couldn't stop for you? That was then. This is next. Experience the all-new Genesis at www.HyundaiGenesis.com.

The Sensory Surround Safety features on the All-New Genesis were put to the ultimate challenge with the world's first-ever blind test drive. In this trial, stunt driver Rhys Millen puts the Automatic Emergency Braking feature to the ultimate test.
Old 03-21-14, 09:36 AM
Hoovey689

Cool blind test drive challenge. Tech like this isn't reserved for pure Luxury badges anymore, it slowly trickles down and goes more mainstream. I'll still take Blind Spot Monitoring over this though
Old 03-25-14, 05:45 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Hyundai had the Genesis on a spinning display at the Fort Lauderdale Auto Show. It is a sleek looking car! The black plastic in the middle of the grill for radar kills it for me though. It's unnoticeable from afar but pretty obnoxious up close...

Old 03-25-14, 06:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The Genesis on display at the Chicago show looked nice. When I was there it had a good sized crowd around it. Not a mob, but busy.
Old 03-25-14, 07:38 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

This new Genesis is starting to show its age already! The current Genesis IMO looks far classier and elegant. The more I look at it the more Fusion I see..
Old 03-25-14, 08:07 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I wonder why Hyundai did not adopt the square projectors housings from the Santa Fe. I think it would have looked great in the Genesis housing.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread