Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 IS-F or 2014 IS350 AWD F-Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 12:02 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Also OP, I'd suggest posting this topic both in the 3IS section and IS-F section to get some insight from both sides. Let us know your decision!
Please don't do this; crossposting the same topic is against the forum rules. Certainly, if the OP has further questions specific to a certain model, he can create a new thread in the specific forum.
Old 10-31-13, 04:37 PM
jchong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Canada as well and had an ISF, but I had a beater in the winter. I would hate driving driving a nice car around with all the idiots on the road around you. I drive an Is250 now and dont miss the ISF as much as I thought I would.....but there is a new toy coming, so that may be curbing me missing the ISF.
Old 11-03-13, 09:56 AM
seansmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jchong
I live in Canada as well and had an ISF, but I had a beater in the winter. I would hate driving driving a nice car around with all the idiots on the road around you. I drive an Is250 now and dont miss the ISF as much as I thought I would.....but there is a new toy coming, so that may be curbing me missing the ISF.
I too have another car to use in the winter, my wife's Honda so at least I have an AWD vehicle for any really bad days. What's your new toy?

Thanks for the reply...
Old 11-03-13, 09:57 AM
seansmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gengar
Please don't do this; crossposting the same topic is against the forum rules. Certainly, if the OP has further questions specific to a certain model, he can create a new thread in the specific forum.
I didn't think I was allowed, but thanks for the reminder!
Old 11-03-13, 10:00 AM
seansmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Next year Lexus will release the RC-F, a V8 coupe. If you're not into coupes, then the next V8 sedan will be the GS-F. They will probably release the car in 2015, but no one knows how much it will cost yet.

There won't be another IS-F.
I like the looks of a coupe but those long doors make it a bit of a hassle in the garage and parking lots etc so I'm definitely leaning towards a 4 door sedan.

That GSF looks hot! Is it really coming next year? That would be quite a sweet car. Lots of room with all that V8 power and engine sound...
Old 11-03-13, 10:06 AM
seansmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I live in AZ so I would be all over the ISF. I think in your best interest the newer, safer option would be the 2014. The acceleration is solid, its safe for dry fun or the winters that will always have.
I think you're right, but I love the 8 speed in the IS-F, what a transmission! Why do they only give us the 6 speed in the AWD? Not enough room for the bigger geabox with center diff etc?

I know the IS350 AWD would be a great all around car. It's lighter, faster, and more reliable than my MB, but the similar price btw what I'm looking at makes it a tough decision. Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-03-13, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

It sounds to me like the IS-F is what you really want. You should go for it...
Old 11-03-13, 06:54 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

One more 'pro' for the ISF is that the 2012 model has had 4 years of refinement (since the originally ISF came out in 2008) whereas the 2014 IS is a brand new model and is therefore likely to have some minor problems here and there.

I mean all Lexus models are extremely reliable but generally speaking later model years are slightly more reliable than earlier model year for the same model.
Old 11-03-13, 06:57 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I also think you should definitely try and test drive the ISF on dedicated winter tires. From what I've heard as long as your prudent you shouldn't have too much trouble driving the ISF with winter tires.

Also, my IS350 has a "snow mode" where it significantly reduces my accelerator pedal sensitivity and basically eliminates 1st gear in auto mode (Granted, the IS350 is fully automatic whereas the ISF has a true manual mode with paddle shifters).

Anyways, driving in rain or ice in "snow" mode is extremely useful for my RWD IS350. If the ISF has a similar snow mode then I'd say you shouldn't worry too much about driving in the rain or snow assuming you get winter tires.
Old 11-03-13, 07:02 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Oh ok I looked it up and it looks like the ISF does have snow mode. Toothdoc had this to say in another topic -

"I actually find it starts the fastest in normal mode with trac off (but not VDIM off). So, until you reach 30 mph, you can spin a bit more and once you hit 30 mph, trac is back on. Snow mode is just too freaking slow and sport mode has too much torque. I've had no problems going to and from work - however, days like today remind me of how sweet it was to drive the RX400 with Pirelli Scorpion snow tires on AWD. Nothing beats AWD with snow tires on all corners."

It is true that snow mode will make the car very slow because you're setting the "floor" gear as gear 2 (i.e. you're eliminating 1st gear) but it makes it so much easier to drive in the snow/rain, especially when accelerating from 0.
Old 11-03-13, 08:47 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote go for 2012 ISF if you get it now.
Old 11-03-13, 09:35 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Anyways, driving in rain or ice in "snow" mode is extremely useful for my RWD IS350. If the ISF has a similar snow mode then I'd say you shouldn't worry too much about driving in the rain or snow assuming you get winter tires.
Yes, the IS-F has a snow mode as you noted in your next post. Even in dry conditions, I always leave my IS-F in snow mode when I'm just DD'ing around and not doing anything interesting.

It's interesting what you mentioned Toothdoc posted. In snow, I always left the IS-F in snow mode. The only issue I ever had with the IS F was when stopped on a particularly low-traction surface (really packed snow, or icy). In that case, the TRAC would work against me as it would sense the wheelspin and reduce power to the wheels, keeping me stuck. Turning off TRAC would allow me to get enough wheelspin to start moving. There was one intersection back when I lived in Indiana where this happened a lot as it was a road a lot of heavier cars traveled on so the snow would just get really packed down, but this was the only place I ever had trouble.
Old 11-04-13, 04:52 PM
jchong
Driver

Originally Posted by seansmith
I too have another car to use in the winter, my wife's Honda so at least I have an AWD vehicle for any really bad days. What's your new toy?

Thanks for the reply...

A Porsche....the model is tbd lol... Still debating on whether or not to get a gt3 or get something more girlfriend friendly lol...it sounds crazy I know