Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ten Brands That Will Disappear in 2014 including 2 auto mfrs and a auto mag

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 12:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I agree, and that's why I prefer Autoblog, for the same reasons. Especially C&D is so desperate to give their preferred brands the win in comparisons that they'll change the methodology and criteria of the comparisons to make it happen. C&D has done that for both Hondas/Acuras, and for BMWs also. It's all nonsense. Autoblog does indeed cut to the chase and isn't afraid to tell you if something sucks. I gave up on Edmunds. Their site literally became un-navigable, cluttered with all sorts of crap four or even FIVE layers deep just to still not find what you were looking for. Sure, more page hits for ad impressions and ad revenue and such, but if you make your site so damned annoying I'll stop visiting it, and then no page hits at all. Useless site to me now.
Also the pics on autoblog while simple and sometimes non professional get right to the point and show you all the detail you need to know. The pics are very up close and detailed. Furthermore, reading the comments section can be very interesting and informative. Sure some of the comments are useless but it can be fun.

Autoblog is treated well by the manufacturer's. If you ever listen to the podcasts they straight up tell you what is no good, for example, they will point out details like no back lite buttons or missing manual height controls etc etc.
Old 10-28-13, 12:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Also the pics on autoblog while simple and sometimes non professional get right to the point and show you all the detail you need to know. The pics are very up close and detailed. Furthermore, reading the comments section can be very interesting and informative. Sure some of the comments are useless but it can be fun.

Autoblog is treated well by the manufacturer's. If you ever listen to the podcasts they straight up tell you what is no good, for example, they will point out details like no back lite buttons or missing manual height controls etc etc.
Autoblog also is slanted like everyone else and seen as an addition to reviews and not an authority quite yet like C&D etc.

The comments section is good for a good laugh.

Old 10-28-13, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Autoblog also is slanted like everyone else and seen as an addition to reviews and not an authority quite yet like C&D etc.
Judging from the ones Hoovey2411 regularly posts here, most of the autoblog reviews I've seen seem reasonably well-done. I've seen a lot worse, especially in the daily/weekly newspapers. Some of those newspaper-reviews aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Old 10-28-13, 12:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Judging from the ones Hoovey2411 regularly posts here, most of the autoblog reviews I've seen seem reasonably well-done. I've seen a lot worse, especially in the daily/weekly newspapers. Some of those newspaper-reviews aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
The weekly newspaper reviews are useless. Most writers are too damn afraid to give a negative review. Motorweek used to be good but they are no longer relevant. And CR is just as useless as the paper the weekly newspapers are written on, everyone knows what is reliable and they do a good job at that but the review part is meaningless. CR purchases their cars , so what?
Old 10-28-13, 01:13 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The weekly newspaper reviews are useless. Most writers are too damn afraid to give a negative review. Motorweek used to be good but they are no longer relevant. And CR is just as useless as the paper the weekly newspapers are written on, everyone knows what is reliable and they do a good job at that but the review part is meaningless. CR purchases their cars , so what?
I watch Motor Week and they do not pan a vehicle but you can pick up when they dislike certain things about that vehicle.I do wish they would just come out with the negatives with the reviews/road tests.
Old 10-28-13, 02:02 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This list comes out every year, and every year, it's wrong. I'll be able to go to a JC Penney in 2015.
Old 10-28-13, 02:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I watch Motor Week and they do not pan a vehicle but you can pick up when they dislike certain things about that vehicle.I do wish they would just come out with the negatives with the reviews/road tests.
I watch MW too and usually enjoy it. But as you say, you have to listen close to pick up on what they don't like about a vehicle. I watch shows like this as much for the entertainment value as well as to hear what they think about the vehicles they test.
Old 10-28-13, 02:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't see Volvo leaving the States. Mitsubishi on the other hand, if the new Mirage fails then I can see them leaving.
Old 10-28-13, 02:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This just shows that one size doesn't fit all. There is room out there for different venues. CR isn't going anywhere, C&D will be around and other sites and publications will continue to come and go as preferences change.
Old 10-28-13, 02:58 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing Autoblog does not do, though, is provide quality reviews of cars with commentary of the writers. It's all aggregated into one giant (groupthink) opinion.

If you regularly read C&D, or MotorTrend, or Automobile, you get to know each writer's tastes and language, which provides quite a bit more depth when the article explicitly quotes contrasting opinions from different writers.

Autoblog has newer content, but much less quality.
Old 10-28-13, 08:03 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt Mitsubishy will be gone. Seriously doubting it
Old 10-29-13, 03:58 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This list appears to be someone's "predictions" and are not factual. I mean, Best Buy was on the list last year and look at them now. Their stock is up 267% YTD. I would have no problems taking some play money and buying JC Penny. What a bargain it's at right now. And why isn't Sears on the list? It makes no sense. I'm guessing that more than half of these companies will still be in business in 2014 and beyond, but nobody can predict the future.
Old 10-29-13, 04:08 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The point is to avoid any pressure or strong-arming or manipulation by the auto manufacturers marketing teams, who most certainly know how to manipulate people and twist arms in order to get favorable (or not unfavorable) reviews, with so much money at stake. I think it was "The Truth About Cars" that at one point had some sort of "confessions of an auto journalist" series, which was pretty eye-opening. Maybe they know the kind of woman I like, and make it a point to have an incredibly beautiful woman of that type PR rep "assist" me? LOL. I agree that CR's written reviews are pretty much useless. Watch the videos though, if you subscribe. That's where everything comes through. I have a ride sensitive family. Literally being able to see, on video, how each car does through a bumpy section of their test track is worth its weight in gold to me. What's the weight of video bandwidth over the interwebs? Whatever, well worth the subscription price.
Old 10-29-13, 06:03 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Interesting b/c while I use the web for a huge source of information I still go to B&N and purchase mags and have subscriptions. Sometimes its just easier to have a mag and I don't want to carry my iPad everywhere.

Thanks for preaching to the choir though.
its an age thing -- I'm betting folks 30 years and younger have zero paper subscriptions (newspaper? what is that?)
Old 10-29-13, 06:11 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll always have a warm place in my heart for J.C. Penny. They gave me my first IT job and they didn't require a drug test which would have been a big problem for me in 1987

Last edited by KayGee; 10-29-13 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Ten Brands That Will Disappear in 2014 including 2 auto mfrs and a auto mag