Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ten Brands That Will Disappear in 2014 including 2 auto mfrs and a auto mag

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 06:33 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
its an age thing -- I'm betting folks 30 years and younger have zero paper subscriptions (newspaper? what is that?)
I'm torn between GenX and GenY/Millenials. The no home land line, and no paper subscription thing is definitely a Gen Y attribute. I just turned 36, BTW.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepste...nd-millennials
Old 10-29-13, 07:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KayGee
I'll always have a warm place in my heart for J.C. Penny. They gave me my first IT job and they didn't require a drug test which would have been a big problem for me in 1987
HE LIVES! hahhahahh at the drug test

Old 10-29-13, 07:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I'm torn between GenX and GenY/Millenials. The no home land line, and no paper subscription thing is definitely a Gen Y attribute. I just turned 36, BTW.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepste...nd-millennials
I used to have a home line, cable TV, and supscriptions to the paper, Car & Driver, and Motor Trend. I also had National Geographic. I cancelled all of them during the recession. I don't miss any of them.
Old 10-29-13, 07:35 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
its an age thing -- I'm betting folks 30 years and younger have zero paper subscriptions (newspaper? what is that?)
I'm turning 24 years old soon............yet I still read newspapers (heck I've been reading newspapers since I was in elementary/grade school)
Old 10-29-13, 07:38 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I agree, and that's why I prefer Autoblog, for the same reasons. Especially C&D is so desperate to give their preferred brands the win in comparisons that they'll change the methodology and criteria of the comparisons to make it happen. C&D has done that for both Hondas/Acuras, and for BMWs also. It's all nonsense. Autoblog does indeed cut to the chase and isn't afraid to tell you if something sucks. I gave up on Edmunds. Their site literally became un-navigable, cluttered with all sorts of crap four or even FIVE layers deep just to still not find what you were looking for. Sure, more page hits for ad impressions and ad revenue and such, but if you make your site so damned annoying I'll stop visiting it, and then no page hits at all. Useless site to me now.
Autoblog doesn't even have comparison tests in the first place. I agree C&D needs to switch to an online format, but I truly believe their reviews are more in depth. Their performance numbers are expanded much more than Autoblog's and they have blurbs talking about what the car behaves like at launch and through the slalom.

I also like the fact that C&D has a bigger fleet of long-term calls with updates that occur more often. Autoblog isn't bad, but I don't think it's on the same tier as C&D.
Old 10-29-13, 07:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I'm turning 24 years old soon............yet I still read newspapers (heck I've been reading newspapers since I was in elementary/grade school)
ok I'll clarify - under 30 in the US