Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus, Toyota tops, Audi surges, Ford struggles in CR reliability survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i met an '11 ford edge owner recently at a lunch place and said 'nice car, how do you like it' and i thought the guy was going to throw something he got so mad. he said he hated everything about it, but when he calmed a bit it was all about the mytouch/sync/whatever system in it. there's endless stuff about it on the internet.
Best thing to do, Paul, when you meet someone like this, and they start snapping at you, is to simply stay cool, talk in a normal tone, and, calmly point out how important it is to throughly test-drive and inspect a vehicle before one buys or leases it. It may be too late for him and his present vehicle (he may never like it), but point out that if he learns this lesson now and applies it correctly next time, he will probably have a MUCH better car-buying experience. We all make mistakes, and hopefully learn from them. I wasted money myself on late-70s/early-80s Detroit junk (even with good inspections), and you better believe I learned from it.
Old 10-28-13, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
Somebody at Ford looked at Internet Explorer and thought it was the best piece of software ever written.
if you're talking about ie6 or ie7, i can understand that would be a huge fail, but actually ie8,9,10, and now 11, are very good browsers.
Old 10-28-13, 07:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Best thing to do, Paul, when you meet someone like this, and they start snapping at you, is to simply stay cool, talk in a normal tone, and, calmly point out how important it is to throughly test-drive and inspect a vehicle before one buys or leases it. It may be too late for him and his present vehicle (he may never like it), but point out that if he learns this lesson now and applies it correctly next time, he will probably have a MUCH better car-buying experience. We all make mistakes, and hopefully learn from them. I wasted money myself on late-70s/early-80s Detroit junk (even with good inspections), and you better believe I learned from it.
LOL - i have no intention of calmly telling a stranger who is irritated what they should do the next time they buy a car. sounds like a good way to inflame the situation.

moreover...

Originally Posted by dc893
The system works just fine about 99% of the time though, even the voice controls work good in them.
that's the problem - you're probably unlikely to see a problem on a long test drive or an inspection. it's a couple months down the road when it happens and your nav died in a strange area and you have to stop to 'reboot' the darned thing. highly irritating and stressful.

This is true a lot of buyers do not understand how to use this system. This is especially true with Lincoln since the average buyer is about 120 years old now.
lol - the people i just met with the brand new '14 stingray are retired and had NO CLUE at all about MANY of the cool features of the vehicle.
Old 10-28-13, 08:09 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol - the people i just met with the brand new '14 stingray are retired and had NO CLUE at all about MANY of the cool features of the vehicle.
Good luck trying to teach some of them anything about those cool features. A lot of these older people go to a dealer say that they want a "loaded car", but what they really mean is power windows and A/C not nav, bluetooth, adaptive cruise control, etc... The most frustrating part about working for a manufacturer or selling cars is trying to teach some of these people about these features. The only thing that happens to some people is they just get more confused. A LOT of the time it's easier for the salesperson to just not explain some of the features.
Old 10-28-13, 08:35 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Lexus and Toyota are so simple. My 13 RX350 doesnt even have adaptive cruising, or lane assist. Though they still have Unintended Acceleration. Their drive by wire throttle system was found guilty as of the latest trial in the court, and in order to avoid risking Punitive, Toyota agreed to pay 3 millions to the victim.

Speaking of which, i wonder if Toyota will have any special Trade in for those models year or not,
Toyotas don't have unintended acceleration, a jury of morons does not a fact make.\

MyFordTouch is trash and I hate it in every single Ford I drive. The Focus and Fiesta also have transmission issues with the dual clutch that they've still yet to address.
Old 10-28-13, 10:42 PM
IceIridium
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I was shopping for a practical car over the past year or so, this is the reason I only truly had eyes for 2 brands: Toyota or Honda. My family has had a long history with great durable Toyotas, and I loved my Honda Prelude, so I didn't want to risk with anybody else. (Just for practical cars though. For performance/sporty cars I still believe Honda has lost its way from its heyday of the 90's)

One can talk features, specs, handling, and deal differences until they're blue in the face but at the end of the day I sleep better with a Toyota or Honda (or two ) in the garage.

Last edited by IceIridium; 10-28-13 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 12:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Nissan, Ford and Hyundai - biggest threats to Toyota as often said by media, are doing pretty terrible while Lexus/Toyota is #1...
Old 10-29-13, 02:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Yet another wacked article to mislead the public. Why are they saying Audi is rated as one of the most reliable brands, without even mentioning Lexus is higher or the most reliable brand? The title is okay, but the meat of the article has it's priorities off. It's like saying so and so one $1000 dollars in the big lottery but forgetting to mention who won the million dollar prize.
Old 10-29-13, 02:30 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

The article hardly ignored the fact that Toyota and Lexus are still at the top for reliability.

This is the original - http://www.cnbc.com/id/101148312

2013 Consumer reliability top 5 brands
Position Brand Change vs. Last Year
#1. Lexus Up 2
#2. Toyota No change
#3. Acura Up 4
#4. Audi Up 4
#5. Mazda Down 1

A GERMAN brand at the top of this survey of nearly 30 manufacturers and right behind Toyota and Lexus is definitely news.
Old 10-29-13, 10:18 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To a lot of people who buy Ford and Lincoln products and then have to fiddle with those MyTouch and Sync systems, it is apparantly not trivial. However, IMO, it does beg the issue of potential buyers examing and test-driving their potential new cars before actually signing for them. If you are going to have trouble adapting to a car's electro-screen system, the time to find it out is before the sale, not after. That is why I myself, from the experience of my own auto reviews, would probably not own a BMW, Audi, or Cadillac equipped with the I-Drive, MMI, or CUE systems.

However, IMO, that does not necessarily let Ford off the hook. They have known for some time now that the MyTouch/Sync systems are a bone of contention with a lot of customers, yet still have not done away with them, redesigned them, or come up with something better. I suspect that Cadillac is going to facing the same issue in a couple of years with the CUE.
I disagree with CR's methodology of mixing up usability/ergonomics flaws with actual reliability data (the same goes to JD Power's IQS). A reliability issue should only refer to something not functioning as designed, while "issues" with Ford's MyTouch/SYNC are usability problems when the said features are actually functioning as intended. Yes, both kinds of issues are frustrating, but including usability issues in a ranking of "reliability" is simply misleading IMHO.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-29-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-29-13, 12:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

damn......FRS & BRZ are shtty??
Attached Thumbnails Lexus, Toyota tops, Audi surges, Ford struggles in CR reliability survey-capture.jpg  
Old 10-29-13, 12:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
damn......FRS & BRZ are shtty??
Ut-Oh!
A few heads here will explode.
Old 10-29-13, 12:12 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ydooby
I disagree with CR's methodology of mixing up usability/ergonomics flaws with actual reliability data (the same goes to JD Power's IQS). A reliability issue should only refer to something not functioning as designed, while "issues" with Ford's MyTouch/SYNC are usability problems when the said features are actually functioning as intended. Yes, both kinds of issues are frustrating, but including usability issues in a ranking of "reliability" is simply misleading IMHO.
As stated, in order to get flagged as an issue in CR's survey, there MUST be an element of severity to it. With these control systems, issues such as it freezing or locking or crashing or otherwise not at all working as it's supposed to that prevent you from being able to control the car and its systems are most definitely a "reliability" issue, of the control system. If the whole navigation system locks up whenever you try to enter an address you can still drive the car, but it's still an issue with the control systems of the car. Likewise if you take it in to get fixed, the dealership keeps it for a week for an update, and then you still have the same problem you can still drive the car, but it's still going to get flagged. This is far beyond ergonomic and usability flaws.
Old 10-29-13, 12:15 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Top 10