Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are you ready for automatic drive-through gas fill-ups?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 03:12 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Are you ready for automatic drive-through gas fill-ups?

Are you ready for automatic drive-through gas fill-ups?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/27/a...fill-up-video/
Old 10-28-13, 03:22 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. It would be outstanding on a rainy day, plus you wouldn't have to tip the attendant. The only thing I liked about having to go to Jersey to see my grandparents were the full service stations due to their weird mandate that people can't pump their own gas.
Old 10-28-13, 03:30 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Shell prototyped these here on their Research Park campus about 20 years ago. The device doesn't seem to have changed much, but it does appear to have reduced the amount of "hunting" by the original model while trying to locate the gas cap. As a new product, that model didn't seem to offer significant advantages, especially considering its initial cost and long-term maintenance. After a year or two of testing on their fleet cars, the product was dropped.
Old 10-28-13, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I can see this becoming more a thing in the future just not now
Old 10-28-13, 05:20 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

well...what if we all move towards electric cars before this makes it into production

With the direction the world is moving towards, I wouldn't invest in this
Old 10-29-13, 10:15 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If we could work on not just the battery but the rate at which it could be charged, maybe we'd have something. If we could recharge sufficiently for two or three hours of driving in ten minutes or less, electrics could be competitive. At the present state of the art, that would require not a load of batteries, but a trailer full of capacitors, methinks.

Actually, automating the gas delivery process is more complex than we first think. I've worked with the development of oilfield automation for a number of years, and there's a lot of searching and processing a human does unconsciously that a machine has to step through very carefully. First of all, there are a couple of criteria to be met. The system has to compare in speed to a human - although the convenience factor may allow a few extra seconds for the machine and still be competitive. Next, the robotic system has to operate on any vehicle that pulls up to the pump. No fair painting a target on the gas flap. Finally, the robot has to open the flap, extend the filler into the tank and achieve a positive connection with both fuel and vapor recovery systems, remove the filler and close the flap without damaging the finish on the car. That's simple to you and me, but a pretty tall order for a machine.

There's a two-part robot here. The first part of it must locate the driver's window (assuming he parked on the proper spot), and extend an interface to the customer's window so that a card may be swiped and a selection made (think drive-up ATM here, but one that comes to you). Meanwhile a second robot has to locate your gas flap. That may require a bit of searching because different makes, models, and years of cars have gas flaps located in slightly different places. If your car is lowered, the robot is going to have to "see" it because it can't be programmed with a location when you have modded your ride height. Then the robot has to open the flap (assuming you haven't unlocked it yourself from inside the car. That robot has to be able to detect the difference between a conventional and a remote gas flap and respond accordingly. The interface robot may have to request you release the flap.

IF you have a "touchless" gas cap, the robot has to extend the fuel and vapor recovery lines to the tank, make a liquid and vapor-tight connection, fill the tank quickly, or deliver the requested volume or dollar amount, then retrace its steps, releasing the connection backing away, closing the flap, and returning to a "stowed" position.

But then there are the finer points of the operation: Both parts of the machine have to be able to sense obstacles - if a human gets in the way, it has to stop and back away instantly to prevent injury. People are known to do some really stupid things at the pump - we've all seen them. The system has to have some kind of "intelligence" in order to protect us from our sins. Remember, in order to work quickly and efficiently, the robot is going to have to possess a fair amount of power, and unless controlled, it is capable of doing a good deal of damage. It's going to have to have a fairly complex program to know when to breakaway and returned to the stowed or "home" position without entrapping a human in the mechanism.

The system has to be fault-tolerant. It can't crush an onlooker, and it has to be "aware" of its surroundings. It has to recognize a "drive-off" should a customer leave while the filler is still engaged, and it has to respond appropriately when there is an error in locating or opening the gas flap. Remember this system is delivering a highly flammable substance, it is having to locate and open gas flap without destroying the paint, and it has to do all gently, while serving the vast variety of filler locations, acceptable flow rates, and back-pressure cutoffs.

I've found that machines, while they can be taught to do amazing things, they don't often play well with humans. We are accustomed to nuances in our environment - maybe your gas filler requires a high "angle of attack" to properly engage the nozzle, maybe a much lower angle for mine. The machine is going to have to be able to recognize the difference and not stab around in the dark looking for a good connection. From that standpoint, machines are extremely literal - they do precisely what they are told and do it very well. They are not naturally accepting of variables that we meatbags impose on them. That's going to be the problem. It's probably going to be cheaper for the store owner to return to the days when he had a gas monkey on the island to pump your gas for you.
Old 10-29-13, 11:07 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harbinger
Looks good. It would be outstanding on a rainy day, plus you wouldn't have to tip the attendant. The only thing I liked about having to go to Jersey to see my grandparents were the full service stations due to their weird mandate that people can't pump their own gas.
Oooh, that is unique and interesting (especially since most fuel stations in America operate on self-service)
Old 10-29-13, 11:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

its about time. We are all exposed to low levels of carcinogens when near gas. This is great. when I visit NJ they dont even allow you to do it yourself. You just roll down the window and tell the dude what you want then pay. Easy.
Old 10-29-13, 12:34 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X
If we could work on not just the battery but the rate at which it could be charged, maybe we'd have something. If we could recharge sufficiently for two or three hours of driving in ten minutes or less, electrics could be competitive. At the present state of the art, that would require not a load of batteries, but a trailer full of capacitors, methinks.

Actually, automating the gas delivery process is more complex than we first think. I've worked with the development of oilfield automation for a number of years, and there's a lot of searching and processing a human does unconsciously that a machine has to step through very carefully. First of all, there are a couple of criteria to be met. The system has to compare in speed to a human - although the convenience factor may allow a few extra seconds for the machine and still be competitive. Next, the robotic system has to operate on any vehicle that pulls up to the pump. No fair painting a target on the gas flap. Finally, the robot has to open the flap, extend the filler into the tank and achieve a positive connection with both fuel and vapor recovery systems, remove the filler and close the flap without damaging the finish on the car. That's simple to you and me, but a pretty tall order for a machine.

There's a two-part robot here. The first part of it must locate the driver's window (assuming he parked on the proper spot), and extend an interface to the customer's window so that a card may be swiped and a selection made (think drive-up ATM here, but one that comes to you). Meanwhile a second robot has to locate your gas flap. That may require a bit of searching because different makes, models, and years of cars have gas flaps located in slightly different places. If your car is lowered, the robot is going to have to "see" it because it can't be programmed with a location when you have modded your ride height. Then the robot has to open the flap (assuming you haven't unlocked it yourself from inside the car. That robot has to be able to detect the difference between a conventional and a remote gas flap and respond accordingly. The interface robot may have to request you release the flap.

IF you have a "touchless" gas cap, the robot has to extend the fuel and vapor recovery lines to the tank, make a liquid and vapor-tight connection, fill the tank quickly, or deliver the requested volume or dollar amount, then retrace its steps, releasing the connection backing away, closing the flap, and returning to a "stowed" position.

But then there are the finer points of the operation: Both parts of the machine have to be able to sense obstacles - if a human gets in the way, it has to stop and back away instantly to prevent injury. People are known to do some really stupid things at the pump - we've all seen them. The system has to have some kind of "intelligence" in order to protect us from our sins. Remember, in order to work quickly and efficiently, the robot is going to have to possess a fair amount of power, and unless controlled, it is capable of doing a good deal of damage. It's going to have to have a fairly complex program to know when to breakaway and returned to the stowed or "home" position without entrapping a human in the mechanism.

The system has to be fault-tolerant. It can't crush an onlooker, and it has to be "aware" of its surroundings. It has to recognize a "drive-off" should a customer leave while the filler is still engaged, and it has to respond appropriately when there is an error in locating or opening the gas flap. Remember this system is delivering a highly flammable substance, it is having to locate and open gas flap without destroying the paint, and it has to do all gently, while serving the vast variety of filler locations, acceptable flow rates, and back-pressure cutoffs.

I've found that machines, while they can be taught to do amazing things, they don't often play well with humans. We are accustomed to nuances in our environment - maybe your gas filler requires a high "angle of attack" to properly engage the nozzle, maybe a much lower angle for mine. The machine is going to have to be able to recognize the difference and not stab around in the dark looking for a good connection. From that standpoint, machines are extremely literal - they do precisely what they are told and do it very well. They are not naturally accepting of variables that we meatbags impose on them. That's going to be the problem. It's probably going to be cheaper for the store owner to return to the days when he had a gas monkey on the island to pump your gas for you.
LOL great post! You clearly understand the nuances of engineering a complicated system.

This sounds like a very complicated solution for a problem nobody was really asking to be fixed, thus why it's never gone anywhere.
Old 10-29-13, 12:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

this is the answer to the question no one asked
Old 10-29-13, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
its about time. We are all exposed to low levels of carcinogens when near gas. This is great. when I visit NJ they dont even allow you to do it yourself. You just roll down the window and tell the dude what you want then pay. Easy.
OK, so who's responsible then, if or when some bozo who doesn't know what he or she is doing scratches up your paint with the filler-nozzle, forgets to screw the gas-cap back on (it happens), pumps in dirt-ridden gas that gets stirred up underground while the tanker-truck is delivering, or runs gas down the side of the car and stains the paint (if it isn't cleaned off in time?) Or, even worse, puts diesel-fuel into a gas engine (or vice-versa)?

No thanks...I'll do it myself. I just won't gas up in New Jersey.
Old 10-30-13, 10:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hehe well I guess it's personal preference.

Here in the Philippines though, all petrol/gas stations are full-service (it's the standard norm here)...
Old 10-30-13, 11:11 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Oregon won't let you pump your gas either, I freaked out a guy when I forgot this back in Spetember when I was in Portland for a week and had the pump in the tank and was about to pump when a panicked attendant ran over and said I can't do that....so I told him how much and he wandered off, I had to get out and stop the pump (I didn't want a full tank) and then wait 5 more mins for him to come back. It was 90 degrees and I was sweating to death waiting for the guy to come back....

anyway this system appears to work great if your tank door is on the left. All my BMWs have it on the right.....I wonder how they will deal with that on the automated pay station. I don't think it will go around the car to the other side drivers window so you can pay, which means you still have to get out to swipe your card anyway. .
Old 10-30-13, 11:37 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Another drive-thru for lazy americans...
Old 10-30-13, 03:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, so who's responsible then, if or when some bozo who doesn't know what he or she is doing scratches up your paint with the filler-nozzle, forgets to screw the gas-cap back on (it happens), pumps in dirt-ridden gas that gets stirred up underground while the tanker-truck is delivering, or runs gas down the side of the car and stains the paint (if it isn't cleaned off in time?) Or, even worse, puts diesel-fuel into a gas engine (or vice-versa)?

I see your point buddy but if you need gas you need gas. They will not allow you to do it.

Quick Reply: Are you ready for automatic drive-through gas fill-ups?