Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

October 2013 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 12:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Correct but GS is ONLY available in AWD form in the snow belt states.
You would think that would help it sell.
True.......
Old 11-04-13, 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

The ES has always been there though, selling strongly and the GS did a lot better than it does today.

I think this segment is the most competitive in perhaps the entire industry actually...
Old 11-04-13, 12:57 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I feel like this exact same [valid] answer has been posted in every sales thread for the last 8 months. I don't understand the need for further debate. Am I going crazy?
I agree - i been posting this million times. Lol
But someone asked the question hahah.

I love the GS and feel bad for it bec the 4GS is a truly great car esp in Fsport - hope sales will improve once the 2014s are out.
Old 11-04-13, 01:23 PM
LexFather

Please stop making excuses - if u love the GS and u want it to thrive as a key competitor in the market, it CANNOT have sales of 1,000-1,500 units per month in its 1st model year. And survive as a viable model.

Do i expect it to sell more than Eclass or 5series? No
But Audi A6 is outselling it now, and they have much less dealers in US.
Now CTS will be another strong competitor in the segment that was not there before.
No one is making excuses, it's called straightening out misinformation spread every month.

I feel like this exact same [valid] answer has been posted in every sales thread for the last 8 months. I don't understand the need for further debate. Am I going crazy?
The sales thread has turned into **** with the same people regurgitating the same **** every month and honestly need a subscription to AutoNews.

Old 11-04-13, 02:12 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Im curious why the brand new IS isn't really doing that well but the C Class and 3 series are just clobbering up that segment.

I know IS sales will pick up as time passes but damn, its a brand new model and its a great car getting great press.
Old 11-04-13, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
Im curious why the brand new IS isn't really doing that well but the C Class and 3 series are just clobbering up that segment.
I think its doing quite well...
Old 11-04-13, 02:25 PM
LexFather

The IS sales goal is 32 or 34k a year.. It's on pace to exceed that

Old 11-04-13, 03:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

you're right. whether you're going crazy is a separate issue.

Thats bec no PR spin can make the GS sales look acceptable, esp considering the cheap lease prices and crazy incentives available on it.
yup.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Fact. Last year the GS was only 800 units shy of its sales goal. So it pretty much met its target. Not sure of the target this year but its down only what 15% or so?
~1200 sales is lousy, but maybe lexus is ok with it. the reasons for the sales levels though we all know - es eats most of the midsize lexus sedan sales, and the gs isn't marketed much and still, despite great reviews and a great drive train and suspension, doesn't resonate with many looking for a sporty midsize sedan. a lot of it has to do with marketing. you and i both know how blown away we were by 'something wicked this way comes' over a decade ago, for a car that was in every way technically inferior to the 4gs. if lexus wants to sell more, they need to do more marketing.

The Lexus GS .Where third place in sales in a segment dominated by the 5/E with their 50 variants is a bad thing.
gs also outsold by a6 and cts too.

i believe it's because the is looks are polarizing. they went from safe to radical in one step.

Originally Posted by LexFather
The IS sales goal is 32 or 34k a year.. It's on pace to exceed that
aaaand every month you bring up sales goals, which is different than competitiveness.
Old 11-04-13, 03:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Sales goals can be changed up or down with a keystroke once the realities of the market set in.
Old 11-04-13, 03:27 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

that ugly *** CLA is killing it.

C class sales are down a tad, but was it really because of the CLA?

At this point, I think mercedes can put a tristar on a log of poo and it will move 5000 units
Old 11-04-13, 04:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i believe it's because the is looks are polarizing. they went from safe to radical in one step.

aaaand every month you bring up sales goals, which is different than competitiveness.
um, 3IS is selling great?
Old 11-06-13, 05:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're right. whether you're going crazy is a separate issue.

I will say this, I can't wait for the CTS to fully come online and battle the GS. They're both occupying the super-sporty midsize sedan area (in V-sport and F-sport trims) and word is the CTS is the more eager driver. We will see- I personally think they're both ugly but the Lexus has the better interior.
Old 11-07-13, 01:21 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know IS sales will pick up as time passes but damn, its a brand new model and its a great car getting great press.
The ES not only competes with the GS in size but also with the IS in price, so the IS will never match the C and the 3 in sales. People with the budget of the IS will see the ES in the showroom and likely will end up with the much more practical ES from the persuasion of their more sensible better halves.
Old 11-21-13, 06:58 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Year to date (Jan - Oct) 2013 for tier one luxury:

Mercedes Benz - 245,125
BMW - 240,139
Lexus - 213,479
Audi - 127,412
Old 11-23-13, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A 3 row luxury crossover that sells 30-40k units and Lexus is #1.

Quick Reply: October 2013 Sales Thread