Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports' 10 Most Reliable American-Badged Vehicles. (Updated for 2013)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 12:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True. They criticized the latest IS250 for an unrefined suspension that neither rode or handled particularly well, worse fit/finish inside than previous models, a cramped cabin (which the previous model also had), and more road-noise than before. They still note the generally good Lexus reliability, though.......Toyota and Lexus still continue to dominate there.

In that article, BTW, they were comparing the new IS250AWD with the Infiniti Q50 AWD, and, while they ranked the Q50 somewhat higher, they weren't particularly thrilled with that car, either.
This makes no sense--I haven't received the issue yet, but the 2Gen IS 250 was consistently on CR's recommended list for entry lux cars, with the same 2.5L engine, and an even more cramped interior, and a car they claimed was "not sporty". Is the non-FSport that much of dog? Because all the FSport reviews i have read were very positive.
Old 11-02-13, 03:36 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 34 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Interesting that all are US badges.
Since it's the top 10 most reliable American cars, I'd expect that to be the case.

Edit: oops, replied to an old copy of the thread and didn't see this had been cleared up long ago. Sorry!
Old 11-02-13, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
This makes no sense--I haven't received the issue yet, but the 2Gen IS 250 was consistently on CR's recommended list for entry lux cars, with the same 2.5L engine, and an even more cramped interior, and a car they claimed was "not sporty". Is the non-FSport that much of dog? Because all the FSport reviews i have read were very positive.

CR felt that the 3Gen IS was a step down from the 2Gen in several areas. The new IS250 is no longer on their recommended list, though they seem unclear about the 350.
Old 11-02-13, 08:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

First time I have ever seen a list of reliable American cars. Its usually the opposite type of list. Cool to get a little break from the normal negatives and to see who the stars are
Old 11-03-13, 12:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

CR felt that the 3Gen IS was a step down from the 2Gen in several areas. The new IS250 is no longer on their recommended list, though they seem unclear about the 350.
I just read the article--they didn't test the 350; the never tested the 2nd Gen 350 either. I think they owe it to their readers to better explain such a substantial drop--they did a better job doing that for the Q50 they compared it to, explaining all the reasons the Q50 isn't as good as the G37. For example, they say that the ride of the 3rd Gen IS is not luxurious or plush--but neither is my IS250; frankly, that's why I got it. I didn't want an ES. BUT--they don't say that the ride is any worse than the 2nd Gen. They really leave me to assume it's a step down--they don't state it explicitly, which is curious because that is the entire write up for the Q50.
Old 11-03-13, 01:41 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully, Stingray makes it to the list next year.
Old 11-03-13, 04:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looks like typical CR trash to me.
lol. qft

Best choices if you want a U.S.-branded model
i can smell the condescension in their words. do they make a list with caption "Best choices if you DON'T want a U.S.-branded model"?
Old 11-03-13, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i can smell the condescension in their words. do they make a list with caption "Best choices if you DON'T want a U.S.-branded model"?

I think what they're getting at, Paul (though they don't explicitly state it), is that, since the big GM/Chrysler buyouts several years ago, because of the large amount of American taxpayer money (among other sources) invested to finance the buyouts, many potential car buyers today are looking for an excuse to by an American-badged vehicle that was not the case back then. And, of course, people who spend their hard-earned money for an American-badged vehicle deserve to get a reliable vehicle just as much as someone who buys a Toyota or Honda (though some Toyota/Hondas, of course, are built here, and some American-badged vehicles built overseas). A list like this, of course, just helps them that much more in spending their money wisely.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-03-13 at 06:06 PM.