Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oil company predicts gas-powered cars will be 'nearly' gone by 2070

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Oil company predicts gas-powered cars will be 'nearly' gone by 2070

Oil company predicts gas-powered cars will be 'nearly' gone by 2070

"By 2070, the passenger road market could be nearly oil-free." That's the key line (for us, anyway) in a report out from Shell titled New Lens Scenarios. The oil giant is trying to understand the future (who isn't?) and to do that, it envisioned two possible futures, one called "Mountains" and the other "Oceans."

The two scenarios have some things in common: the idea of a world population at nine billion by 2050, increased prosperity and global energy demand. Given those situations, what's the world going to come to? No one knows for sure, but here are Shell's guesses, in short:

"Mountains" implies "a strong role for government" that is not afraid to implement "far-reaching policy measures." These measures mean that cities will develop in more compact ways and "new policies unlock plentiful natural gas resources – making it the largest global energy source by the 2030s – and accelerate carbon capture and storage technology, supporting a cleaner energy system." That sounds like it has some potential, but the problem is that, "nevertheless, the global average temperature rise overshoots the current 2°C goal."

"Oceans," on the other hand takes place in "a more prosperous and volatile world." This is the scenario where solar overtakes natural gas as the world's largest energy source as "power is more widely distributed and governments take longer to agree major decisions." Oil and coal power stick around, but they're slowly replaced by renewable energy. This, too, isn't an ideal solution, since "these measures are not sufficient to address environmental concerns, as greenhouse gas emissions follow a pathway towards a high degree of climate change."

You can get the full 48-page PDF here and see a short video below. A key prediction comes on page 20, in a section called "A Changing Transportation Infrastructure." The long-term view is that:

"By 2070, the passenger road market could be nearly oil-free and towards the end of the century an extensive hydrogen infrastructure rollout displaces oil demand for long haul and heavy loads. By this time, electricity and hydrogen may dominate, and affordable, plug-in, hybrid hydrogen vehicles offer the ultimate in flexibility and efficiency."

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/06/o...rly-gone-by-2/
Old 11-06-13, 11:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

LOL. I would say even sooner.

What are all those Saudis going to live off of. I hope they can eat exotic cars
Old 11-06-13, 12:34 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

Maybe they should start buying these

Old 11-07-13, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

GM is putting E85 engines into a number of its vehicles right now. E85, of course, allows the use of a mixture of up to 85% ethanol / 15% gas, though fuel-mileage will drop, since ethanol has only about 60% of the energy-level as gasoline.
Old 11-08-13, 10:31 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

they got lots of sand. they can turn sand into glass and become a glass manufacturer lol
Old 11-08-13, 11:54 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

I sure hope its sooner than 70 years. I'm sure the Saudi's, oil companies and auto manufacturers will delay it as long as possible.