Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM mulling Chevy Cruze hatchback for US, Buick 'Panamera' among other new models

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 02:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default GM mulling Chevy Cruze hatchback for US, Buick 'Panamera' among other new models

GM mulling Chevy Cruze hatchback for US, Buick 'Panamera' among other new models

We've spoken at length previously about the fallacy of poor hatchback sales in the US, and with the runaway success of its Chevrolet Cruze sedan, it's somewhat unsurprising to hear that General Motors is rethinking its decision not to sell an overseas five-door variant in North America as it looks to plug a number of holes in its lineup. GM North American President Mark Reuss admitted during a media luncheon this week that not offering the model "... was a pre-bankruptcy planning mistake," says Forbes. With the next-generation model already well-along in development, it's likely that the current Cruze hatch (shown above) won't see US dealers

In what must have been a far-reaching conversation, Reuss hinted at a number of new products for many GM brands, including "a much more beautiful Panamera" range-topper for Buick (which sounds a bit like the line of reasoning the TriShield brand has been pursuing with its Riviera concepts) and a "Ford Transit Connect-fighter" to supplant the recently announced badge-engineered Chevy City Express from Nissan.

Interestingly, Reuss also talked about a take on "a contemporary wagon for mainstream America," although a brand for such a vehicle was apparently not mentioned. While a compelling idea around the Autoblog watercooler, we can't help but note that US automakers have made attempts at rebirth of the family truckster with limited success – the Ford Flex has come in for critical acclaim but tepid sales, and the Chrysler Pacifica didn't find favor with pundits or consumers. Even so, the latter failure apparently isn't stopping Chrysler from a possible second attempt at the genre – it's said to be working on a next-generation Town & Country or Dodge Caravan that toes the line between a minivan and a crossover, so perhaps GM wouldn't be playing alone.

Finally, with the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra printing money (GM's full-size pickups are said to account for as much as two-thirds of its overall profits), it's unsurprising to hear Reuss talk about the possibility of a new truck occupying the sliver of white space between a heavy-duty pickup and a medium-duty commercial vehicle.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/08/g...uick-panamera/
Old 11-08-13, 02:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

In what must have been a far-reaching conversation, Reuss hinted at a number of new products for many GM brands, including "a much more beautiful Panamera" range-topper for Buick (which sounds a bit like the line of reasoning the TriShield brand has been pursuing with its Riviera concepts)
This is what has me interested. Now it wouldn't be a true Panamera fighter, but certainly it would be a niche flagship for Buick which I think they could use. Unless they establish an actual performance line for the TriShield, they'd probably stick with the 3.6L V6 and twin turbo version of it. Possibly a hybrid too. I'd expect FWD and optional AWD but I would be certainly impressed if it were RWD though I believe they'd save that for Cadillac. Suffice to say I think a Riviera Flagship could only enhance the brand.
Old 11-08-13, 03:11 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

for some reason, this came to my mind as buick Panamera

buick roadmaster, lol
Old 11-08-13, 05:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Diemellz
for some reason, this came to my mind as buick Panamera

buick roadmaster, lol
Maybe panoramic roof option for back seat passengers lol. Although I do love the old Roadmaster/Caprice wagon, with the right wheels and sans wood they can look pretty cool.

As for small hatchbacks, I think the hatchback take rate on the Focus and Mazda 3 is darn near 50%. Its a no-brainer how much more useful they are, especially if its your only car.
Old 11-08-13, 05:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Cruze Hatch is probably one of the ugliest cars on sale in Europe... didnt see many on the roads, despite Cruze sedan being pretty popular when it was released.
Old 11-08-13, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Given the sales we've seen, here in America, of Ford Focus, Mazda3, and and Nissan Versa hatchbacks, I don't see any reason why a Cruze hatchback wouldn't do at least reasonable well.

I don't think that a big coupe flagship (which is presumably what a new Riviera would be) is what Buick needs right now. They need (in fact, I would say URGENTLY need) a big luxury-oriented flagship sedan, either FWD or RWD, that former owners of the Electra, LeSabre, Park Avenue, and Lucerne can identify with. The LaCrosse, good as it is, just doesn't do it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-08-13 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-08-13, 11:46 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Cruze Hatch is probably one of the ugliest cars on sale in Europe... didnt see many on the roads, despite Cruze sedan being pretty popular when it was released.

The Cruze Estate Wagon seems to be the nicest bodystyle (better looking than the hatchback or the saloon)
Old 11-09-13, 12:15 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Old GM rearing its head again. The Cruze hatch looks horrible, just like the Malibu Maxx did. That car was a complete failure, and this has the same trianglular, sedan with cut-off-trunk profile. To be successful in American, compact hatches need to be sporty, sleek, and street worthy, like the Golf/GTI, Focus, and even Veloster.
Old 11-09-13, 02:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

The Cruze Estate Wagon seems to be the nicest bodystyle (better looking than the hatchback or the saloon)
it looks normal, like sedan.. .hatch is just horrible.

btw, do you guys get Chevy there? And how is it positioned? Here Chevy is the lowest brand you can buy. It is the bottom.
Old 11-09-13, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it looks normal, like sedan.. .hatch is just horrible.
What's so horrible about it? Looks to me like a typical moderately-to-conservatively styled compact hatcback to me...it's certainly no Pontiac Aztek.

btw, do you guys get Chevy there? And how is it positioned? Here Chevy is the lowest brand you can buy. It is the bottom.
Were you specifically directing this question to Blackraven in the Phillipines? If you are asking us here in America.........

In the U.S., Chevy is considered GM's entry-level and largest-selling brand...especially since the demise of Saturn. The smallest Chevrolet-badged vehicle available here is the Spark (an A-body-sized vehicle two sizes below the C-body Cruze), and the largest, of course, outside of large commercial trucks, is the Suburban SUV.